PDA

View Full Version : Chrome window sills 2 Black (Finished)

martizzle
07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm thinking of changing the chrome window sills to black like the sports version. should i, a buy the black sills of honda or should i, b go to auto bahn or office works and get some black contact or something like that. any ideas??

tony1234
07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Been covered before,not sure where.:o.you need to use plastic film that is used on outdoor signs by sign makers.

raz05
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
the black window trim can order thru local honda dealer, but it's gonna be expensive!
Alternative way is to get some blackout tapes and stick it around the chrome window trim

martizzle
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Been covered before,not sure where.:o.you need to use plastic film that is used on outdoor signs by sign makers.

ive read the previous thread but their is nothing on how to remove them

ok i've just bought the blackout tape the stuff they use for sign n stuff. i want to remove the sills now is there a special way to do this i really dont wont to damage them

martizzle
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM
well since i'm implusive and impatient i went ahead and just stuck the tape on with out removing the sills, i used a really sophisticated tool to push and press the tape firmly between the rubber....my thumb nail :D it worked :thumbsup: ran a knife between the rubber to cut the excess.... here is the first result...

raz05
07-04-2008, 06:15 PM
i didnt take the trim off while i stick the blackout tape last time i did it.

rayb3na_
07-04-2008, 06:17 PM
that looks good!

racerwannabe
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Nice. looks like it came from the factory :thumbsup:

martizzle
07-04-2008, 07:19 PM
cool thanks, i'm having thoughts of just blacking out just the top bits of the windows and leaving the bottom line in chrome i reckon it would look good and unique.... i was gonna finish it today but daylight savings kicked in, and i lost the tape for an hour, i finally found it outside on the ground next to the garden it rolled away just to pee me off :( any way tommorow i will do the other side of my car and will only do the top and leave the bottom chrome and post some pics of both sides.... maybe have a poll :D

davey
07-04-2008, 11:02 PM
LOOKS GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

EuroDude
07-04-2008, 11:26 PM
:thumbsup: Nice :thumbsup: looks very pro, may try that myself

martizzle
08-04-2008, 08:25 AM
:thumbsup: Nice :thumbsup: looks very pro, may try that myself

it really was a 5 minute job and the finish surprised me my self :D i think the hard part is gonna be the small triangular window at the back... but then again i'll just do it...if it looks crap its all coming off... lol

martizzle
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
the black window trim can order thru local honda dealer, but it's gonna be expensive!
Alternative way is to get some blackout tapes and stick it around the chrome window trim

No crap damnn they were expensive $143 incl gst for both the front doors and $225 incl gst for each back door that $593 total!!!! my soulution cost me $4.69 incl gst :thumbsup: and looks just as :cool:

martizzle
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
here are todays pics of just the top sills done and the bottom left chrome..... opinions??? or should i go all black??? btw this was a 2 min job just to see what it would look like...i'm gonna re do it properly on the weekend

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
$593 for a few pieces of plastic? :eek: ouch

Looks good. I'd do the bottom sills as well. It looks a bit strange with the lower part as chrome imo

Dayam whats the offset of those rims? Looks like they aere sticking out too far (c0ps can defect you for that)

EKVTIR-T
08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Looking great so far dude.
Hurry up and finish then post pics

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
$593 for a few pieces of plastic? :eek: ouch

Looks good. I'd do the bottom sills as well. It looks a bit strange with the lower part as chrome imo

Dayam whats the offset of those rims? Looks like they aere sticking out too far (c0ps can defect you for that)

their sitting in the gaurds they should be ok.....anywayzzz its finished and all black :cool:

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:21 PM
finito la musica hey is there a limit on posting pics or something?

raz05
08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Do it all

tron07
08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Your car is silver, I think I would prefer the chrome...

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 06:29 PM
yeah I agree, the chrome sills suit the silver euros, but black also looks good.
Did you do the bottom sills as well? any pics of it all done?

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM

i think the chrome handles are enough... but each to their own... i did want to leave the bottom stripe chrome but....when you go black......:eek:

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
ok i figured out my quota pic problem so here is the finished pics :cool:

btw what offset eurodude :D

damn daylight savings sorry about the crappy quality pics

EKVTIR-T
08-04-2008, 06:34 PM

I think with the wheels he has the black suits it.:thumbsup:

TRaNz
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

LOL yeah thats wat i reckon too, but instead its just a sign saying that his car is too high and needs to be lowered :p

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
LOL yeah thats wat i reckon too, but instead its just a sign saying that his car is too high and needs to be lowered :p

read my signature...i aint bsing...bc coilovers are on the way :thumbsup::cool: hopefully otr on saturdai

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 06:41 PM
ok i figured out my quota pic problem so here is the finished pics :cool:

btw what offset eurodude :D

damn daylight savings sorry about the crappy quality pics

looks good, matches the black rims :thumbsup:

Offset:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel)

The offset of a vehicle's wheel is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel.

@TRaNz yeah it could do with a lowering with those rimz

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
looks good, matches the black rims :thumbsup:

Offset:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel)

The offset of a vehicle's wheel is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel.

@TRaNz yeah it could do with a lowering with those rimz

your scaring me now :confused: tempe tyres and 7day tyres said it is ok there 18x8 what measurements can i provide you to see if their ok :eek:

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
18x8 is perfectly fine for the euro, but for it to fit properly and legally depends on the offset.

The offset should be stamped on the inside of the rim somewhere.
As long as the rims dont exceed out passed the wheel arches, its legal.

maybe take a photo of the rear of the car, showing us how far they stick out.

TRaNz
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
read my signature...i aint bsing...bc coilovers are on the way :thumbsup::cool: hopefully otr on saturdai

LOL, faaaa so close.....car will def look way better once lowered.

martizzle
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
18x8 is perfectly fine for the euro, but for it to fit properly and legally depends on the offset.

The offset should be stamped on the inside of the rim somewhere.
As long as the rims dont exceed out passed the wheel arches, its legal.

maybe take a photo of the rear of the car, showing us how far they stick out.

i had a quick look.... its to dark outside to see any numbers...umm but i think they are like right on the same line as the wheel arch... extremely border line.... it should look more respectable when i get it lowered...

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
The offset may be around +35 which is pushing it a bit.

Have a read of this thread regarding 18x18 and offsets:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71227&highlight=18x8

Hopefully when its lowered, the tyres wont hit the wheel guards over bumps and slopes. Last thing you want are blown tyres and damaged panels. You can always roll the guards out a bit if thats the case.

raz05
08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
i had some problem with 17X7.5 offset 40 with 225/45/17

martizzle
08-04-2008, 07:53 PM
ok yeah nah i get what you's mean yeah the guy at otr said it will be fine no rubbing and stuff like that....so it should be perfect......i hope :zip:

racerwannabe
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I've got 18x8 but with an offset of +48 and it doesnt protrude beyond the guards. However, they are damn close. My car doesn't wander but it does tramline when i hit bumps or irregularities on the road. BTW black wheels suit silver euros.

SiReal
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
that does look pretty impressive. good on your for experimenting and coming out with the goods.

Now you've got me thinking about my black sills as well...

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Where did you get the tape?
What brand/model?
Is the backing sticky?

Im guessing you can get that kind of tape (3M?) from a hardware store. Using standard electrical tape would be a bit dodgy lol

rikstar
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
looks awesome! well done.

EuroAccord13
08-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Looks good :)
Last time, I made my own eyelids for the headlights, I used black contact paper that you can buy from OfficeWorks, it's like $2 a roll and they really stick well and hold up well against the weather...

martizzle
09-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Where did you get the tape?
What brand/model?
Is the backing sticky?

Im guessing you can get that kind of tape (3M?) from a hardware store. Using standard electrical tape would be a bit dodgy lol

i found this black tape at bunnings, well i didn't find it i asked for some black tape that would stick on to metal and hold up to weather, and the guy pointed me to this tape. i didn't look for a brand name what i read on the packaging was that it was sticky, strong & long lasting. i don't think there was a brand name like 3M. it was $4.69. i reckon give it a month and if it stuffs up i'll let you's know, if it doesn't i'll let you's know aswell. since i got black rims i saw this as a priority to do quick and cheap, dun da trick, i love it, if it stuffs up i'll go get the proper sign writer stuff. oh one bit of advice if anyone is going to try it. on the back top sill you will see that is actually a two piece part.... just go over the whole lot and just strech the taped around don't cut the tape at that join cause the tape will pull back and you will see a bit of chrome. :thumbsup: 1st night... still looks aight!!! LOL :cool:

insanesam
09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
i found this black tape at bunnings, well i didn't find it i asked for some black tape that would stick on to metal and hold up to weather, and the guy pointed me to this tape. i didn't look for a brand name what i read on the packaging was that it was sticky, strong & long lasting. i don't think there was a brand name like 3M. it was $4.69. i reckon give it a month and if it stuffs up i'll let you's know, if it doesn't i'll let you's know aswell. since i got black rims i saw this as a priority to do quick and cheap, dun da trick, i love it, if it stuffs up i'll go get the proper sign writer stuff. oh one bit of advice if anyone is going to try it. on the back top sill you will see that is actually a two piece part.... just go over the whole lot and just strech the taped around don't cut the tape at that join cause the tape will pull back and you will see a bit of chrome. :thumbsup: 1st night... still looks aight!!! LOL :cool:

is it cloth tape you got?

martizzle
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
is it cloth tape you got?

no, you would need torn seats stuck together with cloth tape to match your sills then :p

EuroDude
09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
thx for the info martizzle, lets hope it lasts. I was thinking Vinyl wrap would be a better option. Ive had it on my grill for over a year and it still looks new.

martizzle
09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
thx for the info martizzle, lets hope it lasts. I was thinking Vinyl wrap would be a better option. Ive had it on my grill for over a year and it still looks new.

can you show me a pic of your grill please, where did you get the vinyl wrap from, my thing really is just a temporary solution but if it lasts i'll leave ofcourse i did want to get vinyl wrap but couldn't find it in my haste, is that the stuff where you apply a hair dyer / heat gun to make it shrink and stick??

EuroDude
09-04-2008, 11:01 AM
can you show me a pic of your grill please, where did you get the vinyl wrap from, my thing really is just a temporary solution but if it lasts i'll leave ofcourse i did want to get vinyl wrap but couldn't find it in my haste, is that the stuff where you apply a hair dyer / heat gun to make it shrink and stick??

A pic of it can be found here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1310398&postcount=6)

You can buy the vinyl wrap sticker from some online shops or ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-hood-trunk-roof-wrap-50-x12_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcatego ryZ50447QQihZ020QQitemZ300213593698QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD2V

You dont have to heat it up but you can use a hair dyer if it needs to wrap around corners.

The problem is, you would want to remove the sills to do a proper job.

Anyone know how to remove the sills without damage?

martizzle
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
A pic of it can be found here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1310398&postcount=6)

You can buy the vinyl wrap sticker from some online shops or ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-hood-trunk-roof-wrap-50-x12_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcatego ryZ50447QQihZ020QQitemZ300213593698QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD2V

You dont have to heat it up but you can use a hair dyer if it needs to wrap around corners.

The problem is, you would want to remove the sills to do a proper job.

Anyone know how to remove the sills without damage?

Second that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hmmm your grill got me thinking about mine now...do ya reckon i should get..coz mines 03...a silver bonnet garnish instead of chrome and vinyl the chrome under the grill? hmmmmm?????

EuroDude
09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Mugen Grill looks best on the 03-05 ftw

martizzle
09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Mugen Grill looks best on the 03-05 ftw

i had a look at this

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55588&highlight=euro+bumper+removal

is that what it looks like.

EuroDude
09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Yep thats the one, totally transforms the front end imo

FAT VTI
09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry mate,
It looks alright, but eventually get the honda one.
The fact that you have tape in plain vision on your car is dodgy as!
In real life, i reckon alot of ppl would look at it and think it looks pretty cheap mate.
Good alternative, but if i was going to do it i'd do the real thing, source it from the states.

Atjo
09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice...Could you do mine as well :p

EuroDude
09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Perhaps its possible to sand the sills down a bit, paint them with a dark metalic colour like the Sports model, then gloss them.

martizzle
09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry mate,
It looks alright, but eventually get the honda one.
The fact that you have tape in plain vision on your car is dodgy as!
In real life, i reckon alot of ppl would look at it and think it looks pretty cheap mate.
Good alternative, but if i was going to do it i'd do the real thing, source it from the states.

like i said it's only temp, but it looks suprisingly good. it does not look like tape just stuck on, if it did i would have taken it off. i was quite surprised at how expensive it was for a few peices of black plastic, actually it's ridiculous. imo its the best altenative without even removing the sills and without painting.

martizzle
09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Nice...Could you do mine as well :p

no your car looks hot enuf :p

martizzle
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Perhaps its possible to sand the sills down a bit, paint them with a dark metalic colour like the Sports model, then gloss them.

nah the reason i done it the way i did was so i can remove it easily when it comes to sell the car, if the person buying wants it stock...if black plastic is 600 bux how much would the chrome be??? other thing is the matt non metallic look suits my rims, i dont think a black metallic gloss would match it as much as this does.

FAT VTI
09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
600 bux for plastic seems right from OEM.
But if you are stupid enough to buy that sort of thing from oem you deserve to pay 600 bucks.
Ebay, aus. wreckers, us wreckers, Jap wreckers.

So many alternatives to buying oem.

Suntzu
09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I really want to do this. Can someone post the EXACT tape and tools I need? Brands and where to buy etc?

raz05
09-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I got my tapes from ebayLink (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blackout-tape-pinstriping-type-black-out-detailing-roll_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50449QQihZ007QQite mZ170104874595QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)
I end up using 2 rolls of the blackout tape, hope this help

martizzle
10-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I got my tapes from ebayLink (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blackout-tape-pinstriping-type-black-out-detailing-roll_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50449QQihZ007QQite mZ170104874595QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)
I end up using 2 rolls of the blackout tape, hope this help

this stuff looks like the right stuff but... i'm pretty sure when you get to the rear triangular windows, where the chrome get thicker, you might run into problems because the tape show here is 29mm wide and the sill @ that section is approx 40mm wide. nice find razo05 :thumbsup: what did you do when you got to this section?? does the tape strech that much?

martizzle
10-04-2008, 07:32 AM
600 bux for plastic seems right from OEM.
But if you are stupid enough to buy that sort of thing from oem you deserve to pay 600 bucks.
Ebay, aus. wreckers, us wreckers, Jap wreckers.

So many alternatives to buying oem.

help us find a place to buy em for $200 or less and i'll get em :thumbsup:

raz05
10-04-2008, 01:25 PM
No man, that stuff cant really stretch, i end up using two tape at the rear bottom bit of the window trim. It doesnt look that good, but u cant reli tell from a distance

martizzle
10-04-2008, 01:43 PM
No man, that stuff cant really stretch, i end up using two tape at the rear bottom bit of the window trim. It doesnt look that good, but u cant reli tell from a distance

the stuff i used streched pretty well around that section, i will post some pics, of both my imperfections for all to see :eek: later this afternoon.

martizzle
10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
here are my two imperfections, both my fault, the first was the very first sill that i did, i didnt really care cause i just wanted to see if would work as you can see i didnt cover the very corner of the sill, the second stuff up is were i cut the tape on the join of the triangular rear window, and the third pic is the other tri window done in one peice :thumbsup: i'm gonna redo both this weekend, and hopefully i will be getting my coilovers fitted aswell at otr this saturday...how excitment :D

Darkii_
10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Lol, you can barely see those mistakes! looks good already mate =) Will get to doing this sometime after exams =(

martizzle
10-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Lol, you can barely see those mistakes! looks good already mate =) Will get to doing this sometime after exams =(

thanks bud, i'm implusive, impatient and a perfectionist...bad combination :D

rikstar
17-04-2008, 08:43 AM
where did you get the tape from, i've look at 2 Bunnings and they have nothing. Have you still got a pic of the packaging?

martizzle
17-04-2008, 10:59 AM
where did you get the tape from, i've look at 2 Bunnings and they have nothing. Have you still got a pic of the packaging?

sorry rikstar, i never had a pic of the tape packaging i opened really quickly threw it out and stuck the tape on my car straight away, it's still looking good apart from my 2 imperfections which i am so lazy about redoing. just go to the adhesives section of bunnings, it should be near the paint section, ask the paint guy or girl, if they have any black tape for outdoor use, do not say its for a car coz then they won't recommend anything. the packaging had written on it something like " outdoor, long lasting, very sticky" something like that. the reason why i went to bunnings is coz @ around 4:30pm i went to repco and they had nothing then i drove to chaddy to go autobahn got there @ 4:45pm and they were doing renovation work so then i gave up and just went to bunnings. i would suggest you try autobahn first and try and get the proper stuff..i really wanted the stuff where you heat it up and it shrinks around what your covering.. that being said i still dont have any problems with mine apart from my stuff ups..

rikstar
17-04-2008, 11:39 AM
ahh Cheers. I'll have a look at Autobarn this weekend.

Suntzu
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I have the blackout tape from the link that i just received from ebay.

Any tips on installation?

EuroDude
08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Anyone know how to remove the sills? Are they glued or clipped in?

Kason
26-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi, does anyone have the part number for the euro sport's black window sills? I want to give my euro a more sportier look :D

Ken-f
26-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I can't see any of ur pics....probably coz im too impatient to see them load. I got my 'tape' from a sign maker. He gave enough for 2 cars for $25. Well worth it, they were really friendly as well. This stuff stretched for the back door as well which is good.