PDA

View Full Version : Custom Exhausts - REVIEWS & OPINIONS

vkhaw
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
hey.
guys i was trying to research some exhaust systems and was seeing if anyone had some good/bad reviews on custom exhausts out there.

Anyone had experience with their custom made exhaust and got them on their tegs? If so...

- Be great to hear what custom exhausts have been put on and its effect in its performance and sound!!

-Can include pricing, mechanics, pipe works, etc.

- Which works better? Worth the money?

ricki_kalsi
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Hasn't this been covered ALOT in one of the Exhaust threads you have created?

rayb3na_
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
got one in my eg very happy with it sorry its not quite a dc2r though but yeah custom > off the shelf

ricki_kalsi
08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Custom exhaust being??? headers / b- pipe / axel back?

vkhaw
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
got one in my eg very happy with it sorry its not quite a dc2r though but yeah custom > off the shelf

where did u get it done? costs?

did u notice any performance increase??

STOCK
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
performance exhaust northmead
good power gain all round esp on vtec

rayb3na_
08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
his from melbourne dude lol duno any from melbourne sorry

Moya
08-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Get brand name headers, high flow cat, then custom cat back to whatever noise you want.

STOCK
08-04-2008, 02:05 PM
his from melbourne dude lol duno any from melbourne sorry

hahah my bad..

JasonGilholme
08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Get brand name headers, high flow cat, then custom cat back to whatever noise you want.

x2 :thumbsup::thumbsup::honda::cool:

kongfu
08-04-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah.. no need for custom one.

Its your integra, get the best parts if you wanna do some upgrade.

Otherwise remain stock.

kevster
08-04-2008, 02:57 PM
i got a cat back from art and few years back 2. 5 inch apexi 4.5 muffler custom fitted to car , decat pipe 1100 . was rubbish bit better top end but heaps less low end grunt i thought. had also welded it on so couldnt dismantle . then got hks hi power system straight bolt on high flow cat this time stainless system 2 mufflers much better system , rear bracket rubs stock exhaust hanger great system 1400 i think from memory got it at revzone in nunnawading. now back on stock system quieter almost same performance ! faster at phillip island on stock system !

vkhaw
08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
i got a cat back from art and few years back 2. 5 inch apexi 4.5 muffler custom fitted to car , decat pipe 1100 . was rubbish bit better top end but heaps less low end grunt i thought. had also welded it on so couldnt dismantle . then got hks hi power system straight bolt on high flow cat this time stainless system 2 mufflers much better system , rear bracket rubs stock exhaust hanger great system 1400 i think from memory got it at revzone in nunnawading. now back on stock system quieter almost same performance ! faster at phillip island on stock system !

where'd you get this done??

kevster
08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
revzone in nunnawading, think there are still there

kevster
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
this system was great went straight under rear axle no bends. only probelm would lightly touch speed humps with stock height.

aaronng
08-04-2008, 04:29 PM
faster at phillip island on stock system !
The tiny performance gain you get from an exhaust won't affect your lap times because there is more variation in the driver's ability lap-to-lap. I got my fastest lap on another track with a 50 kg passenger on board, so I am definitely not skilled enough to make full use of my car's performance (hence even if I got a 10kW power gain, I'd probably still get slower lap times than before). :)

ricki_kalsi
08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
The tiny performance gain you get from an exhaust won't affect your lap times because there is more variation in the driver's ability lap-to-lap. I got my fastest lap on another track with a 50 kg passenger on board, so I am definitely not skilled enough to make full use of my car's performance (hence even if I got a 10kW power gain, I'd probably still get slower lap times than before). :)

That is soooo true!

vkhaw
08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
this system was great went straight under rear axle no bends. only probelm would lightly touch speed humps with stock height.

hey kevster ..
yeah i was thinking of having a look at revzone one of my friends (not honda) recommended there too, so must be ok..

being a straight thru system .. how loud was it ??? did ur teg sound nice?? add any resonators or any other pipes that you would be recommending??

kevster
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
thats very true, your never going to do a lap the same way twice. the sound was awesome vtec 5th gear 210km main straight !

kevster
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
nope just the high flow cat , and split a piece of hose on the bracket to stop vibe. magic sound had a pod filter again hks could listen to it all day ! bolts straight up.

kevster
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
was a pretty loud system , back of car got boomy not so good for long trips

EKVTIR-T
08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Unless your going the very cheap press bent mild steel option a pre made brand name catback would be almost the same price as a stainless mandrel bent setup with aftermarket mufflers.

But with the branded bolt on catback you get better finishing,better resale and more research/design and "usually" better fitment.

Really just comes down to personal preference...

vkhaw
08-04-2008, 06:03 PM
very true.. i heard custom exhaust if not done well can rattle..

their sound tone isnt as great as branded. most customs straight thru cannon style n its just loud.

EKVTIR-T
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Any exhaust can rattle if the hangers are not right or the bends are wrong.

And the tone of the exhaust depends on what mufflers and resonators are used,brandname or custom.

Depends if you want a buzzy raspy high note or a low smooth sound.

vkhaw
08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Any exhaust can rattle if the hangers are not right or the bends are wrong.

And the tone of the exhaust depends on what mufflers and resonators are used,brandname or custom.

Depends if you want a buzzy raspy high note or a low smooth sound.

what type of make would u need to get a low smooth sound for daily driving that wont cause headaches thou get a good flow to ur car.

what would make this hap? would the resonator play a big part for this to happen ? ?

EKVTIR-T
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
To get rid of the buzzy sound on hondas you need 1 or 2 mufflers with a decent sized body muffler like this,

http://www.performanceexhaust.com.au/images/1-magnaflow-mufflers.jpg

Alot of the brandname catbacks ive heard are pretty buzzy.

Fujitsubo Rmo1a is an exception.Nice smooth low sound.

My setup is custom and took me about 5 attempts to get it to sound right without the farting sound that cannons make.

itr_112
08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Buy a fujitsubo power getter

vtec-dr
09-04-2008, 02:50 AM
get 5zigen miracle fireball custom exhausts can cause u to lose power rather than gain power. used to drive em1 track car had custom exhaust but lost too much bottem end but gain slight top end but after gettin a BC spec 3 pro big diff and got better response bottom end

ucme
09-04-2008, 03:13 AM
brand is better than custom imho. unless your paying big buks for custom chances are you may end up with something some busy mechanic slapped up in an hour and after paying your hard earned money you may think oh yeh its loud so it must be good. i trust that sticking to branded performance parts atleast guarantees you atleast that some time was taken in the research, development and perfomance of the product that your purchasing

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
brand is better than custom imho. unless your paying big buks for custom chances are you may end up with something some busy mechanic slapped up in an hour and after paying your hard earned money you may think oh yeh its loud so it must be good. i trust that sticking to branded performance parts atleast guarantees you atleast that some time was taken in the research, development and perfomance of the product that your purchasing

Agreed!!

Moya
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
But with the branded bolt on catback you get better finishing,better resale and more research/design and "usually" better fitment.

I agree you get a better tip, and better resale.

Are you talking cat back? If you mean headers, then of course stick to brand name.

But cat back, any reputable performance exhaust shop will be able to hook you up with better/same performing system with 1/3 the price. Just tell them what you want.

For example, Mugen Twin Loop is 2.25 cat back IIRC, just tell them you want 2.25 custom cat back stainless steel mandrel bent and give them the muffler. And you'll be fine. Same performance.

The only problem you will run into is the cheaper muffers. For example, xforce twin loop vibrators/make a tinny sound at 3500 whereas Mugen doesn't.

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I'll be having a 2nd hand spoon Catback system for sale shortly :)

vkhaw
09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
heard they r great performance wise!! but damn loud =) going to put a silencer?

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I got it on my car now... it's not too loud!

I am going to be selling it though, going for something a tad lighter (Titanium)! :)

adis
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
what type of make would u need to get a low smooth sound for daily driving that wont cause headaches thou get a good flow to ur car.

what would make this hap? would the resonator play a big part for this to happen ? ?

Best exaust ever...MUGEN...

Quiet when driving, similar sounds like rexxy, but when you open it up, it sounds liek a F1.. if ur in melb and wanna hear it,..pm me