PDA

View Full Version : FD/FD2 sound system

triode12
08-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi chaps,

Anyone know which company makes the Head Units of the AUDM FDs? I wanna to get tweeters and speakers that come from the same company to replace the stock ones.

Also, can I buy tweeters can just get them connected to the HU without much fuss? Or will I need extra xovers, amps and stuff....?

ej20i
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
if im not mistaken...most sound system on new cars are made by clarions

wassup
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I red that the FD2 and FN2's have Panasonic HU's. Previous models used either Clarion or Alpine.

I wouldnt bother trying to match speakers, there is no benefit at all in doing this. Do some research in some of the car audio forums. There are a ton of other brands for around the same money that will far out perform the Honda brand or stock equipement.

JaCe
08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I heard it was Alpine but who knows... as others have mentioned, I don't think it's really that important to match brands. You'll probably be better off either fully replacing the dash/HU (with an amplified HU) or installing an amplifier if you want to get good results from installing the speakers..

dmx
12-04-2008, 02:19 PM
usually Honda with alpine.
Toyota with fujitsu
jaguar with clarion
but it's "usually" !!!

JaCe
13-04-2008, 01:17 PM
U sure about Jaguar using Clarion? I didn't know that.. thought it was Alpine or Blaupunkt or something.

I know Proton uses Blaupunkt.

dmx
13-04-2008, 04:41 PM
U sure about Jaguar using Clarion? I didn't know that.. thought it was Alpine or Blaupunkt or something.

I know Proton uses Blaupunkt.

My Uncle's xj8 (not XK8;)) got clarion, now he has s-type also clarion.
not sure other model.

JaCe
14-04-2008, 02:44 PM
^ fair enough.

Back to the topic of the FD sound system. After sitting in a normal FD2 the other day and listening to the same songs, I realised that maybe the stock system sounds a little flat... but it's funny how when I first had my FD1 I thought the sound system was great lol.

ej20i
15-04-2008, 09:56 AM
lolz....same same..i thought the speakers werent that bad and now... listening to my bro's civic...its YUCK!!!
lolz

triode12
15-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Any bros here installed tweeters into the tweeter bins on their FD/FD2s?

How much did it cost to install?

Are there extra speaker outputs specifically for connecting up the tweeters on the HU (I assuming there would be since the FD2 models in Sg come standard with tweeters).

JaCe
15-04-2008, 11:40 AM
^ Beats me. In theory you should be right but I'm not sure.

I personally went the route of using existing speaker wiring, using converters, hooking up an amp, and then running splits/crossovers from that.

triode12
15-04-2008, 12:38 PM
^ Beats me. In theory you should be right but I'm not sure.

I personally went the route of using existing speaker wiring, using converters, hooking up an amp, and then running splits/crossovers from that.

Thanks for the information. But isn't the cost of a convertor like $400?

JaCe
15-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the information. But isn't the cost of a convertor like $400?

It was a line out converter (i.e. to RCA). I use two Alpine converters (front and rear) and I think they cost approx $60 each but not sure as they were included in package from Lifestyle.

You can go for cheaper brands which are like $40 IIRC from JB Hifi.

triode12
15-04-2008, 02:12 PM
It was a line out converter (i.e. to RCA). I use two Alpine converters (front and rear) and I think they cost approx $60 each but not sure as they were included in package from Lifestyle.

You can go for cheaper brands which are like $40 IIRC from JB Hifi.

ok - was at JB hifi the other day and all they had was a line convertor for $388.
Takes the output from the speaker terminals and turns it back to a line level signal. Do your $60 Alpine ones do the same thing?

JaCe
15-04-2008, 04:38 PM
ok - was at JB hifi the other day and all they had was a line convertor for $388.
Takes the output from the speaker terminals and turns it back to a line level signal. Do your $60 Alpine ones do the same thing?

Yes. Are you sure the one you're referring to is not one of those very advanced units which can allow for alot of tuning and adjustments, and designed to integrate factory OEM headunits into sound systems? I think I know the product you are talking about; it's similar to the Rockford 360.

triode12
15-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes. Are you sure the one you're referring to is not one of those very advanced units which can allow for alot of tuning and adjustments, and designed to integrate factory OEM headunits into sound systems? I think I know the product you are talking about; it's similar to the Rockford 360.

Possibly. $60 for the alpine units sounds a lot more affordable.
The young chap (punk) at JB was not helpful at all.

Do you know where is the best place for ICE stuff in Sydney? i.e. good service, reasonable prices.

JaCe
15-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Hahaa... I went to Lifestyle in Parra but they have average-ish service (sometimes they give too much attention/service to particular customers IMO which means u have to wait a while sometimes for attention) and the prices are quite steep (but very much open to negotiation). They're aimed at the more premium/high-end side of the car audio market.

ej20i
15-04-2008, 10:48 PM
come to jb hi-fi castle hill and identify to yourself to me...
work on wednesday through to saturday...
look for tim!

funkdr
15-04-2008, 11:03 PM
FHRX STUDIOS (http://www.fhrxstudios.com) Call Marty (number onsite) or come down to the shop i am there most days and i will be starting my FD1 install soon.

JaCe
16-04-2008, 05:53 PM
come to jb hi-fi castle hill and identify to yourself to me...
work on wednesday through to saturday...
look for tim!

lol which guy are u? i remember a while back i talked to some dude who bought an evo6 tme.

danjoy25
31-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Im thinking of upgrading the rears to a 3 or 4 way speakers and just need clarification that I need to butcher the stock speakers so I can use the plastic surrounds so I can screw the new speakers to it and then mount it per normal using one screw. Thanks in advance.

tonz
05-06-2008, 12:34 PM
The company that makes the Head Units, speakers and GPS navigation systems for all Honda Cars is called Gathers. They are like a branch of Pioneer i think and i have tried googling them but they have no independent website, the closest i got was to a the Honda Japan website which has all the stuff on there, but unfortunately i don't speak or understand japanese.

If anyone does they should click on this link and maybe post up an interpretation for others on the forum.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.honda.co.jp/navi/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgathers%2Baudio%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

danjoy25
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Guys,

I need help in find out the correct polarity of the rear 6" speakers on my Civic VTI (FD1) as Im halfway to changing them to a aftermarket speakers. One side has Blue/Orange wires and the other has Brown/White. Any help in identifying the positive/negative would be great.:)

tonz
26-06-2008, 10:29 AM
DanJoy

Just buy a harness mate it makes your job a lot less messy and easier

check this site out

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_103100/Vehicle-specific-Wiring-Harnesses.html?tp=3097

Philip Lee
26-06-2008, 10:37 AM
The company that makes the Head Units, speakers and GPS navigation systems for all Honda Cars is called Gathers. They are like a branch of Pioneer i think and i have tried googling them but they have no independent website, the closest i got was to a the Honda Japan website which has all the stuff on there, but unfortunately i don't speak or understand japanese.

If anyone does they should click on this link and maybe post up an interpretation for others on the forum.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.honda.co.jp/navi/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgathers%2Baudio%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Gathers is just the name of Honda OEM optional audio stuff in Japan. they source their stuff from other manufacturers. they don't make their own stuff and only offered at Honda dealers in Japan.

Hacs
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi all,

im wanting to put a custom HU in my FD1, but obviously the plastic dash doesnt allow that.

Has any1 put in a custom HU, put in a custom dash or knows how i can go about doing anything of this nature?

any help is much appreciated.

cheers!

danjoy25
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
PM DMX as he sell the double din thingys which allows you to change your HU.

dmx
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

im wanting to put a custom HU in my FD1, but obviously the plastic dash doesnt allow that.

Has any1 put in a custom HU, put in a custom dash or knows how i can go about doing anything of this nature?

any help is much appreciated.

cheers!
next shipment, 2 weeks time

PM DMX as he sell the double din thingys which allows you to change your HU.

thanks dude. how the cruise list going ? what a pity for me can participate:(