PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Intake from Short Ram to Gruppe M intake

docker
08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my AEM SRI to the Gruppe M intake mainly because for better performance especially when it's hot weather or when the engine bay gets warm. The SRI bascially just sucks in hot air and I definitely need to improve this.

I'm not looking at the Injen CAI due to documented losses some have experience down low in the Rev range.

Does anyone know how much the Gruppe M is for the Euro? Also does this have to purchased from overseas? I can't seem to find any information relating to the pricing of one.

Cheers

aaronng
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my AEM SRI to the Gruppe M intake mainly because for better performance especially when it's hot weather or when the engine bay gets warm. The SRI bascially just sucks in hot air and I definitely need to improve this.

I'm not looking at the Injen CAI due to documented losses some have experience down low in the Rev range.

Does anyone know how much the Gruppe M is for the Euro? Also does this have to purchased from overseas? I can't seem to find any information relating to the pricing of one.

Cheers

The GruppeM intake costs above $1000 landed here. Are you willing to spend this much on just an intake? I'd put the money into something else.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36032&highlight=gruppem+euro

docker
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for that ... it's good point and for an intake $1000 is way too much. Think I'll go for the Injen CAI after all.

Cheers

aaronng
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Why not keep the AEM and make an enclosure like the GruppeM?

tony1234
08-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Why not keep the AEM and make an enclosure like the GruppeM?
Either do that(as above) or get a Comptech Icebox.Approx.$260 landed.

enkay
08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
or u could go expensive like the j's racing also the cfrp one is also around 1k mark too and its like a short ram with a fat air tube and got air inlet down at the front bar to redirect air to the intake.

aaronng
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
or u could go expensive like the j's racing also the cfrp one is also around 1k mark too and its like a short ram with a fat air tube and got air inlet down at the front bar to redirect air to the intake.

I think J's racing is $200 cheaper than GruppeM. I think a trader was selling one for $700-800. Still quite a bit of money for an intake though..

enkay
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
yer its like round $700 for the normal one but 990 for the CF one, i noe cos ive got one =D

Crapdaz
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
make your own enclosure or convert to CAI depending how much you want to spend.

aaronng
08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
yer its like round $700 for the normal one but 990 for the CF one, i noe cos ive got one =D

The J's racing came in CF version? I didn't know that! Gotta have a look at it if you are coming to Friday's meet. :thumbsup:

BusterSonic12
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
The J's racing came in CF version? I didn't know that! Gotta have a look at it if you are coming to Friday's meet. :thumbsup:

yep :p here's the J'S RACING AIR INTAKE SYSTEM, it's $790 from a trader here

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/jdmconcept-com-au/js%20racing/intakecl9carbon.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/jdmconcept-com-au/js%20racing/intakecl9carbonsample1.jpg

aaronng
09-04-2008, 12:59 AM
yep :p here's the J'S RACING AIR INTAKE SYSTEM, it's $790 from a trader here

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/jdmconcept-com-au/js%20racing/intakecl9carbon.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/jdmconcept-com-au/js%20racing/intakecl9carbonsample1.jpg

If that is from JDMConcept, then that's FRP...

BusterSonic12
09-04-2008, 01:04 AM
yep.
what's FRP?

Uzzi
09-04-2008, 02:27 AM
FRP = Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic

BusterSonic12
09-04-2008, 02:29 AM
FRP = Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic

do they look the same as carbon fibre?

enkay
09-04-2008, 08:09 AM
haha to clear it up the pic shown the busta is the CF one (one i have)
it is just shown but its an extra 200 for pretti much just the CF box cover the rest is all FRP
with the one for 790 it doesnt come with the CF box cover instead it is just frp.
hm wonder if u get the gold j's racing balling badge with the normal one ahha =P

docker
09-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it is appreciated. I think I will go down the Comptech Icebox path instead of the Injen. I like that idea and didn't even think of it and just storage the AEM.

BusterSonic12
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
comptech back on business yet??

martizzle
09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
sorry to hi jack, but its sort of related. ive got a k&n drop in filter, if i remove the resonator and put some sort of tubing to the front of the car eg fog light hole, would this be sort of like a cai with a oem box? sorry thanks :D

raz05
09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I guess it would be similar to the comptech icebox but just a smaller airbox

aaronng
09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it is appreciated. I think I will go down the Comptech Icebox path instead of the Injen. I like that idea and didn't even think of it and just storage the AEM.

The comptech icebox is a lot quieter than the AEM though.... Be aware of that.

martizzle
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess it would be similar to the comptech icebox but just a smaller airbox

thanks

enkay
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
comptech back on business yet??

yes they are =D

BusterSonic12
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
yes they are =D

can you link me to their site? i don't think i'm at the right site because i don't see their products anymore. before i remember they got a list of stuff with price and pics and stuff.

Accord Basic
09-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi, I have installed the GruppeM Air intake. love the sound and performance. No problem with hot air suck in. Import from Japan for about 900.
Let me know if you want a pic of mine. But when I install it the airbox very close to the earth wire bolt and did a little scratch on it.
overall look good and well performance. it is not too loud.

Accord Basic

Uzzi
09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
FRP does not look like carbon fibre. It is a totally different material altogether made primarily of glassfibre, generally weaved into a cloth form. In its natural state, its a shiny whitish colour. You can change the colour of FRP by adding dye during the mixing stage. Relatively light material but cannot beat carbon fibre for strength, stiffness and lightness.

Carbon fibre as the name suggest is made of carbon strands weaved into a cloth form. It is shiny black/grey metalic colour in its natural state. It generally comes in a cloth form as mentioned earlier but also in Pre-preg form. this means that it has epoxy molocues impregnated into the cloth already. Advantage of Pre-preg over std CF is it can be moulded into more complex shapes. Once in the mould it is then placed in an autoclave (basically a giant oven that also has vacum functions) to set the shape.

Both FRP and CF can be mixed, for example you can use CF to sandwich FRP. Normally done in order to save costs. CF can also be weaved with Kevlar (yellow colour material) to resist tearing, example is Backyard Special products.

curik
09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Lol! For an extra $200 just go with the carbon fiber version! The FRP doesn't justify its cost for just being a piece of tube and a filter. But IMO any intakes will produce similar power (be it injen, mugen, etc) on the euro. So why pay nearly $1k just for a JDM bling? Shell an extra $300 and you get the ultimate bolt on mod -> TODA header!

enkay
09-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Lol! For an extra $200 just go with the carbon fiber version! The FRP doesn't justify its cost for just being a piece of tube and a filter. But IMO any intakes will produce similar power (be it injen, mugen, etc) on the euro. So why pay nearly $1k just for a JDM bling? Shell an extra $300 and you get the ultimate bolt on mod -> TODA header!

nah maxim header =D lol more jdmness
thats what i did lol jdm ballin haha

can you link me to their site? i don't think i'm at the right site because i don't see their products anymore. before i remember they got a list of stuff with price and pics and stuff.

um no idea bout there site, i just know cos ive read on american forums and they have started to buy new comptech stuff again and some talk on thier forums bout them being revived