PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket LCA

[ricer]
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
i've got megan racing LCA on my civic and the bushes where the shock absorber go to have worn out already.
they're only about 1 year and 2months old :thumbdwn::thumbdwn: cheap quality...

anyway just wondering can i change those worn bushes with oem ones or something or do i have to buy new LCAs?

PS: stick to oem... bling is shiet...

STOCK
09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
NO idea, BUT
When you change those bushes you spray the control arms black LOL

RtN
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
why is that? LOL

Limbo
09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
my bushes can come out. They lock in with a grub screw.
Are n't yours the same?

If not i'd just get some urethane or stikaflex and glue them in again

Limbo
09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
NO idea, BUT
When you change those bushes you spray the control arms black LOL

NO NO Bling Bling

jdm_kid
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
bling is good. u just gotta know which ones are good. ;)
oh btw.. how much did u pay ? lol

ek4-guy
09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
anyone know how Skunk2 lca's are with these type issues

Sexc86
09-04-2008, 05:55 PM
i beg to differ.... Look into Omni Power LCAs...

RtN
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
mfacotry LCAs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MFactory-Rear-Lower-Control-Arms-Honda-Civic-CRX-88-00_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ013QQitemZ 230227816835QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They use bearings instead of Plastic Bushings I believe.. Hope it helps!

ek4-guy
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
i beg to differ.... Look into Omni Power LCAs...

What you disagree with Lyle ?

DNYALL
10-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I got a cheap set of no name blue LCA's and my bushings have almost busted as well. I am waiting for a set of function7 to come in now.

fatboyz39
10-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I got a cheap set of no name blue LCA's and my bushings have almost busted as well. I am waiting for a set of function7 to come in now.

How much were the function 7's?

EG5
10-04-2008, 06:19 PM
How much were the function 7's?

will stock Function 7 real soon :thumbsup:

string
10-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Why don't you guys just replace the bushings in your stock control arms with OEM rubbers instead of going for these pointless arms? Honest question.

[ricer]
11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Why don't you guys just replace the bushings in your stock control arms with OEM rubbers instead of going for these pointless arms? Honest question.

they look way cooler then oem ones
honest answer

string
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
;1630605']they look way cooler then oem ones
honest answer

I'd accept that as a good answer, if they even remotely visible from the outside of the car. They look good in photos though, if that's your bag.

Limbo
11-04-2008, 04:36 PM
It also help handling, over the OEM ones.
I like my terminator look also ;) bling bling

e240
13-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I use the MFactory ones with spherical bearings - No worn bushing.. :-p

fatboyz39
13-04-2008, 10:21 AM

I agree, but the amount of time spent on changing bushing and to save all the headache's might as well get the bling bling LCA.

string
13-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree, but the amount of time spent on changing bushing and to save all the headache's might as well get the bling bling LCA.

In then end, you're still paying more $$ for less.

ek4-guy
13-04-2008, 06:02 PM

it's called unsprung weight

string
13-04-2008, 08:32 PM
it's called unsprung weight

So you can justify spending a couple of hundred dollars on something to reduce unsprung weight by what, 500-750grams per rear corner? Big freakin' deal! You'll gain 0.00seconds on the track and be left with a headache a year down the track when the bushings die.

Jon_51
15-04-2008, 02:20 PM
are they even legal on the street?
oem looks (and probably is) so much stronger

simonnowis
20-04-2008, 09:58 PM
cops would probably defect it, its visible depending on height of your car, my car is only slightly lower then stock so its pretty visible standing like 2m away. oem or aftermarket they are both pretty solid, only diff is bling and one is slightly lighter then the other.
btw ricer if u need oem bushes i have some spare.

bennjamin
20-04-2008, 10:17 PM
anyway just wondering can i change those worn bushes with oem ones or something or do i have to buy new LCAs?

yes you can change them - either order more in from the importer or find something local that can be pressed in.

IMO stick with OEM LCA's. Nothing beats the strength and durability. Look ugly but they will last.

SiReal
21-04-2008, 12:31 PM
How hard is it to change the bushes on OEM LCAs? Mine are cracked. Is it just going to honda and ordering the right parts and then changing it over? I assume there is no need for any hydraulic press since its such a small bush.

Limbo
21-04-2008, 01:36 PM
not worth changing. Just buy some bling bling ones. Or you could just get second hand set
Mine are much stronger than my OEM ones, and didn't cos that much

string
21-04-2008, 03:16 PM
not worth changing. Just buy some bling bling ones. Or you could just get second hand set

Didn't cost much because they are a poor imitation of the real thing. Dodgey bushings and cheap materials. You can claim anything about their strength, did you have a problem with the strength of the OEM LCA? Didn't think so.

OEM > aftermarket bushings. You'll need a press to replace them, even the small ones.

ek4-guy
21-04-2008, 03:38 PM
lol oem over after market get real there are engineering companies that make after market lca's aswell.

ek4-guy
21-04-2008, 04:47 PM
So you can justify spending a couple of hundred dollars on something to reduce unsprung weight by what, 500-750grams per rear corner? Big freakin' deal! You'll gain 0.00seconds on the track and be left with a headache a year down the track when the bushings die.

have you got any idea how much oem lca's are

$698 per side plus around $100 for bushes

21-04-2008, 05:01 PM

sounds yours is not bad, any chance to source it ?

bennjamin
21-04-2008, 05:48 PM
OEM > aftermarket bushings. You'll need a press to replace them, even the small ones.

My thoughts. They are 100% fine. And only need a replacement every 10 years or so. So , pull the cash out of your ass (about $30-40 per bush) and replace them. They will never need replacement again :)

have you got any idea how much oem lca's are

$698 per side plus around $100 for bushes

from honda brand new maybe. How about you just refresh your bushes ? (3 per rear LCA) and its good as new.

AutoNoob
21-04-2008, 06:04 PM
mmm so my current CXI LCA's are better than aftermarket ones?

lol, i really dont wanna break my car by replacing with blingey kool MPR LCAs....which are 195 bucks. They look so much more sturdy to me.

pls confirms hehe.

I Pm'd modproject but they are not replying - will order my stuff next week then you can install it for us Ben.

bennjamin
21-04-2008, 06:06 PM
there isnt a need to replace , only if you want the bling :) Save some cash !

SPEEDCORE
21-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Any poly replacements for the OEM arm?
Have looked in the past with no success, wondering if they available now..

teh_mechanic
21-04-2008, 09:03 PM
i like the look of the aftermarket ones.
its a subtle way to show off that your inconspicuous lil civic is packing some heat i reckon.
just dont skimp out if you get aftermarket,the cheap ones are cheap for a reason,some of the ebay ones look so dodgy i swear they are made from the slag on the floor after welding lol.
be careful guys,lca's arnt all about bling,they are a high load carrying component

TODA AU
21-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Strange as it may sound, standard bushes wear out too...
If they didn't, a replacement part would not be available.
A simple upgrade from stock that is whorthwhile is to use Mugen or Spoon bushes when the std ones are gone.
But better is to change to quality aftermarket arms with ball joints if you track your car a bit.

string
22-04-2008, 12:16 AM
You'll probably get faster track times by spending the same amount of money on seat time rather than anything more than replacement bushings in a stock arm (of whatever compound). The same could be said about a hell of a lot of suspension mods.

ek4-guy
22-04-2008, 10:14 AM
You'll probably get faster track times by spending the same amount of money on seat time rather than anything more than replacement bushings in a stock arm (of whatever compound). The same could be said about a hell of a lot of suspension mods.

you would actually improve your times even more with some driver training

mku01
27-05-2008, 01:59 PM
can someone elaborate on how aftermarket LCA will improve your laptime? only thing i see is being able to reduce unsprung weight which also means improved handling right?

bennjamin
27-05-2008, 09:50 PM
can someone elaborate on how aftermarket LCA will improve your laptime? only thing i see is being able to reduce unsprung weight which also means improved handling right?

they CANNOT reduce lap times or performance in any way.
The weight saving is tiny.

They are purely for LOOKS.

Another thought - they will not sustain an impact or force like OEM LCA's will...IE in a accident they will likely bend or snap.

Zdster
27-05-2008, 10:50 PM
they CANNOT reduce lap times or performance in any way.
The weight saving is tiny.

They are purely for LOOKS.

Another thought - they will not sustain an impact or force like OEM LCA's will...IE in a accident they will likely bend or snap.

I guess the only small advantage you might see is in the upgraded bushings, but even then the OEM ones are pretty good.

From all the reading I have done, the only real reason to get these is a) if the stock ones wont support a sway bar (although most will) or b) cosmetic reasons. Paying $400 for LCA's is a little silly in my opinion.

DNYALL
28-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Come on guys, they look hot :) Maybe a tiny bit lighter, maybe a tiny bit stronger (depending on brand) maybe a bit of adjustability with the swaybar endlink mounting points and maybe an improvemnet with the bearings/bushings. But in the end they do look Hot!! :p

Zdster
28-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Come on guys, they look hot :) Maybe a tiny bit lighter, maybe a tiny bit stronger (depending on brand) maybe a bit of adjustability with the swaybar endlink mounting points and maybe an improvemnet with the bearings/bushings. But in the end they do look Hot!! :p

Lots of 'maybes' in there :p

[ricer]
28-05-2008, 09:44 PM

Lots of 'maybes' in there :p

lol... it looks good

Sexc86
28-05-2008, 09:48 PM
What you disagree with Lyle ?

That Bling LCAs are shit... Of course cheap no-name inferior bling lcas will be shit. that doesnt go to say that all LCAS other then oem are crap.

Yes i have Omni power Front LCAs and Function 7 Rear Lcas (Eyebolt). couldnt be happier

bennjamin
28-05-2008, 09:56 PM
while the "better" aftermarket LCA's out there look tuff - i want to see them in a impact situation. I tend to think they wont last as long as OEM LCA's will....

Proper track cars or drag cars dont use these LCAs UNLESS promoting them.

fatboyz39
28-05-2008, 09:59 PM
any pics of the omni power front LCA?

Sexc86
28-05-2008, 10:19 PM
yeh mate.

http://i15.tinypic.com/7xe3pqo.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/8ao8z7n.jpg

EG5
28-05-2008, 10:22 PM
while the "better" aftermarket LCA's out there look tuff - i want to see them in a impact situation. I tend to think they wont last as long as OEM LCA's will....

Proper track cars or drag cars dont use these LCAs UNLESS promoting them.

Function 7 LCA used a very high quality material . Commonly used in the manufacture of aircraft and other aerospace applications aswell
Do your research about Grade 7075 Aluminum.

EGB18CT
28-05-2008, 10:38 PM
ur ball joint castle nut and cotter pin is missing hehehe...

keep an eye on the omni bushings as many in the states have had issues with them cracking unless that problem was resolved with the newer ones, i wouldnt mind some for up front too...

im running pic performance lcas with spherical bearings, more feel in the sussy although im running some very hard spring rates... couldnt be happier although its not for the daily or long drive...

functions 7s are hot if only they had spherical bearings id get some!

Sexc86
28-05-2008, 11:04 PM
yep yep. Thanks for the heads up man ^. That photo was actually taken when my car was up on stands. all good now though :)

And in regards to the omni power LCA's... thanks for the info ill deffinately keen an eye on them!

e240
28-05-2008, 11:24 PM
The MFactory LCA I use have taken over a year of track abuse and is still functioning perfectly, I dare say the stock cast items would probably have deformed by now - How hard an abuse? Lets say I also broke a couple of bolts on the front subframe and bent the original front control arms.

Also being spherical bearings, I don't have to worry about bushings deteriorating/deforming.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72736

fatboyz39
28-05-2008, 11:32 PM
whats the difference between stock LCA and omni power one besides the bushing?

Limbo
28-05-2008, 11:43 PM
i got mine from e240 a while ago ;)
THey were Sage Racing from the states.

They are much thicker than the OEM and stronger. The reason i know cos when i put the 22mm whiteline bar on i needed to bend the arms to put the main bolt in.You could see the flex on the OEM from the aftermarket ones. Also they are 3 times the thickness.

i got plenty of power in my car, and i noticed the difference right away, which suprised me also

Sexc86
29-05-2008, 08:15 PM
whats the difference between stock LCA and omni power one besides the bushing?

I noticed, they were much much lighter, thicker... and feeled just overall better balanced when compareing them hand/hand. Also they look heaps better. But yeh you dont pay over $500 to get something that loks good.

Sometimes Function over fashion

Limbo
30-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I noticed, they were much much lighter, thicker... and feeled just overall better balanced when compareing them hand/hand. Also they look heaps better. But yeh you dont pay over $500 to get something that loks good.

Sometimes Function over fashion

I gotta agree mine gave me the same feeling but it just wasn't the same brand

skunk2tony
31-05-2008, 01:38 AM
That LCA looks like it would break, it looks like it was made from Cast Aluminum and not billet.

Muzz
10-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Im getting a set of skunk2 arms, purely cus theres 3 holes you can use for the swaybar linkages, allowing extra adjustability. when you factor in the cost of the 6 bushings youd need to replace in the oem arms, plus the labour of doing so, it works out im paying like $70 to make my swaybar 3 way adjustable so i can play more with my setup. IMO - BARGIN!:D Go black for stealth tho LOL..