PDA

View Full Version : rim question - what is it called?

CvcResponse
09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I wanna know what that little thing is inside rims... go to this picture:

http://members.rennlist.com/complete964/964_RUF_rim.jpg

That red part inside the rim.. what are they called? Are they a necessary part of the rim? When i got rims i didnt even consider it and later noticed mine were these bronze rusty coloured ones, and are visible through the spokes. I presume they were the stock parts of my car or they just used cheap crappy ones lying around. They don't look very nice. I wouldn't mind changing them to red ones - but where do you buy them from? And are they universal fit for any car model or rim size? Or have to find out what specific type i need..

Also if i later decide to change rims (different size, offset) again can i re-use the red things?

EKVTIR-T
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Thats the brake caliper mate.A component of the disc brake system.
It squeezes the brake disc to slow your car down...

bennjamin
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
hey dude

That red thing - is the BRAKE CALIPER.It holds your brake pads , and behind that is the silver discs which is called a "brake rotor". The brake caliper grips onto this to slow you down .

Its the front part of the baking system of your car. All cars have these.

OMG.JAI xD
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
you mentioned "offset" in your message section...

by any chance do have a clue what that is too? or just saying it cause you see it relates to rims.
cause thats a pretty technical word compared to not knowing what a caliper was..

unless youve always had hubcaps in your life and never seen or heard of what a caliper is..
but then again .. how did you think brakes stop the car :/

shadou
09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
It seems you desire the red colored caliper as you have linked us with, you can do this quiet cheaply by bringing your car to a generic mechanical shop and they MAY be able to supply such service, just a suggestion before you jump the gun and consider buying red color coded calipers.

becky2310
10-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi All

I need new tyres for my Honda Jazz (185/55 R15) and have been quoted up to $200 per tyre. One guy came back though and said he had Japanese made tyres (Forenza?) that he could get for $105. Has anyone heard of or used these tyres. Is it too good to be true?

Thanks

shadou
10-04-2008, 08:06 PM
hi becky2310 you should really consider making a thread for your question as you are hi jacking cvcresponse's thread.
But for your question if you shop around you will find tires at a much cheaper price, things you may want to consider is brand and thread wear rating; but since I've noticed you drive a VTI-S jazz there is no point in investing in a decent tires as all you do is drive on the roads, shop around is all the advise I can give you.

becky2310
10-04-2008, 08:09 PM
sorry, i'm new to this! i've started a new thread now. thanks

CvcResponse
12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
It seems you desire the red colored caliper as you have linked us with, you can do this quiet cheaply by bringing your car to a generic mechanical shop and they MAY be able to supply such service, just a suggestion before you jump the gun and consider buying red color coded calipers.

So like bob janes for example? I'd have to buy red ones anyway, but would of course get it installed at a mechanic shop. Are you saying its not always possible to get new ones in a different colour

CB7_OWNER
13-04-2008, 12:32 AM
No.. its more like a paint shop i think...or you can DIY... you cant actually spray paint over your stock calipers.. to a red just like that.... go to liek supercheapauto or something and buy urself a can of brake paint or woteva they call it....

Otherwise... if your really into performance,.. .then of course you can swap the calipers to actual one's that improve your braking...but in your case i belief it is absolutely unnesscessary.

So basically, if you dun wanna do it yourself, you can bring it to some ccustom painting place..and they will do it for u..

PaLo $oLdieR
13-04-2008, 01:19 AM
yep just paint em,,,
they sell actual 'brake caliper' paint at autobarn

02gzm
13-04-2008, 07:08 AM
take wheel off + plaster news paper everywhere + clean thoroughly + spray caliper with brake caliper paint = quickish backyard job ftw. Alternatively you can do what most normal people would do and remove the caliper, clean it properly and paint it properly....