PDA

View Full Version : Any carpenters :)

XXpl0Sive
26-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Can anyone help me make a ported box for 2 12s? :)

poid
26-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Do you need help just building it or designing the box as well?

I'm a bit far to help build it, but i can help with dimensions etc (or should be able to help) :)

Cino
26-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey there

it isnt to hard, when i built my first box years ago i simply got advice off forums (e.g. materials, dimensions, designs), then went to a hardware place with my design, showed him what i needed and he gave it to me. Then I just used a jigsaw to cut it up and then nailed and glued together. Then the more you do it the more confident you become and can attempt angle designed boxes and so fourth.

Where are abouts are you located?

Jnr Teggy
26-08-2003, 03:22 PM
hey mate..

i can build you a ported box if you give me the specs and dimensions..

(volume and dimensions)

i would recommend against a ported box unless you are after sheer spl!

you will be much happier with a sealed enclosure!

poid
26-08-2003, 03:53 PM
hmmm i dunno, a well made ported box sounds pretty damn good. Key is to tune it as low as the sub allows :D

Jnr Teggy
26-08-2003, 03:56 PM
listen to my sealed JL's and you will change your opinion...i guarantee!

wynode
26-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Who has a ported box?

I wanna hear what it sounds like. I'm a ported man myself ;) (although I havea sealed box).

Ninj i can help if you want (or we can all meet up and help!)

I bough somet wood awhile back but never got around to building it LOL!

poid
26-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Dont get me wrong, i use sealed in the car myself (12" alpine DDDrive) however at home i have a passive radiator box (in effect a ported box) and it sounds every bit as good as the sealed box (same sub)

wynode
26-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Yeahh it all depends on how well the box is made in terms of volume and port tuning.

I have a RF 12" in a sealed box, and although the bass is nice and deep, it could really do with a bigger ported box.

I've always liked ported boxes I guess.

bumthology
31-08-2003, 09:23 AM
If u dont wanna cut up wood yourself
get the measurements, i recommend u use a program where u just put ur sub model in, and it'll recommend u the sub box and size..

Also, if you dont like to cut your MDF wood (its very dangerous because the dust is cancerous (i only recently found out)
then go to bunnings and they will cut the wood pieces to exact size for you (u can get each wooden size parts off a program)

aZZ
02-09-2003, 12:28 PM
MDF is just highly concentrated cardboard are you sure u know its cancerous??? i know treated pine is but MDF??????

poid
02-09-2003, 01:26 PM
MDF is a known carcenogen (ie causes cancer)

Use dust masks at the very least when working on it...apparently some Bunnings dont want to it cut now either