PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about tires

hooyn
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Playing GT I noticed that you can choose racing tires that come in extra hard / hard / medium / soft / extra soft.

Now I'm wondering, what are the differences and what the performance characteristics are of each type?

teh_mechanic
09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
softer tyres will generally give more grip but have shorter life
harder tyres opposite,generally lower grip but can last longer.

in racing say if you had a 10 lap race:
the soft tyres may give huge grip for 4 laps,medium grip for 4,then awful grip for the last 2 as the tyres have got too hot.
the hard tyres may give ok handling for the first two laps as they take longer to heat up,then good grip over the entire race.

thats where the strategy comes in,you have to work it in with grid position,fuel load,driver habits etc etc etc

bennjamin
09-04-2008, 10:43 PM
what you stated first was right :)

Softer the tyres, the better grip but shorter lifespan.

Harder the tyres the less grip and longer lifespan.

dc2dc2dc2
09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
ummm...if u played GT

i think u could actually answer the question urself?

like the above posts.

ie in GT tyres are blue when u start soft tyres will go green quicker in comparison to the harder tyres...

krogoth
09-04-2008, 11:04 PM
good compromise

get a good strong rwd car

and do burnouts with the extra hard tyres at the start, this way theyll warm up and reach max grip, and then u go and own the rest with their still cold tyres, lol

but yeh, teh mechanic is teh correct

PS, u guys should try the ford GT in gt5 without traction control or dynamic stability control and in manual

gives u teh epic LULZZZZZ

cristian
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
its also ideal to upgrade ur suspension to get the most out of the longer lasting (harder compound) tyres...

u might lost 2 or 3 seconds per lap...but when ur getting 2 or 3 laps more out of every set of tyres then its easy wins on the endurance races...