PDA

View Full Version : Bump steer ?

NVD52K
10-04-2008, 12:49 AM
as all you guys should know bump steer occurs when we lower our s2000's now what can we do to help solve or decrease the problem?

amirul
10-04-2008, 08:57 AM
wat is bum steer??

anyone care to explain it??

ludecrs
10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Bumpsteer is a by-product of suspension geometry changing through the range of its travel.

Basically you increase toe in yoiur camber settings, to cancel out oversteer.

Measuring bumpsteer:

1) Take off wheel
2) Take off rear shock and disconnect sway bar
3) Put back on wheel
4) Find a point to measure from on the wheel outside front edge of the wheel and to the car or a fixed pole or even the wall of your garage.
5) Use a jack to move the rear wheel thru its range of motion and measure the change in toe at each step.

ludecrs
10-04-2008, 09:15 AM
As the suspension travels up and down the alignment of the wheel changes to some degree from it's resting state. This can cause the car to travel more towards the left or right depending on how much the suspension is compressed (or extended) at any moment.

Cars with a bump steer problem tend to have more dramatic steering effects from one end of suspension travel to the other.

The odd thing is that a double-wishbone system (like ours) is supposed to be one of the best ways to minimize bump steer.

More specifically, bump steer is the amount of toe (not so much camber) change that happens as the suspension moves up and down. With certain suspension setups, the direction the wheel is pointed in actually changes as the suspension moves up and down. On a car with a lot of bump steer you feel a fair amount of steering wheel movement when you hit a bump because the bump causes the wheel to point in a slightly different direction which causes pull on the steering wheel.

Bump-steer is acutally a measurable component of the suspension design. To measure, you take the springs out of the car, attach a bump-steer guage and run the suspension through it's entire travel. Bump-steer can be adjusted in the front by the height of the steering rack.

When a car has allot of bump-steer, it gets more unpredictable the bumpier the surface gets. Running over curbs at the racetrack unsettles any car, and you have developed the ability to control it. That's not bump-steer. Bump-steer becomes apparent most in high-speed sweepers when the car encounters a patch of imperfections in the pavement. You will feel sort of an 'unsettled' feeling from the rear of the car, which is not it 'letting go' it's the rear tires changing toe-setting as the suspension travels. If you are already near the tire's limit, it will let go and it will do-so in an unpredictable manner.

h17am
10-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Buy steering rack spacers, offset front lower arm ball joints, rear roll center adjusters. Yeehaaa

.::F[L]Y::.
10-04-2008, 03:28 PM
i have the adjustable rear toe rods and it has made a world of difference. Just looking into the steering rack spacers but not sure if i can use it with my 4 point strut

NVD52K
10-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Y::.;1629232']i have the adjustable rear toe rods and it has made a world of difference. Just looking into the steering rack spacers but not sure if i can use it with my 4 point strut

what brand is it ?

Couges
29-06-2008, 12:55 PM
J's Racing sell all the anti bump steer stuff. The tie rod ends, the front and rear lower ball joints, the adjustable rear toe rods. Spoon has them all as well but not the tie rods as Spoon has the spacers. J's has two different types of ball joints depending on how low your car is and how much camber. While your there get some driveshaft spacers as well.

For an S2000 to handle great then all need doing. Your looking around $250 for each item pair from Japan.

NVD52K
29-06-2008, 01:55 PM
hmm some one on s2ki is selling a rear bumpsteer kit t1r

vyets
29-06-2008, 02:17 PM
t1r has bumpsteer parts as well. You can find afew no brands on yahoo auctions as well.