PDA

View Full Version : is this dodgy or am i just paranoid

type R racer
10-04-2008, 01:19 AM
1994 integra v-tir done 165000 ks, new brake pads, new disks, new flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate asking for $7500....wants to sell coz he says insurance is to high. i have a mazda astina 323 97 model and he wants to trade his for mine and willing to pay more for mine....says he's in a bit of a rush. didnt ask many questions about my car just focused more on the price....do you think something dodgy is going on?? he's down grading from v-tec to an average 1.8 L DOHC mazda and also willing to pay more....hmmm sumthing smells funny...wat do you guys rekon??

ricki_kalsi
10-04-2008, 01:24 AM
If it sounds too good... well then it could be!

Get it REVS checked, and NRMA checked.

PS: Don't knock Astina man... that are awsome.

xntrik
10-04-2008, 01:45 AM
1994 integra v-tir done 165000 ks, new brake pads, new disks, new flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate asking for $7500....wants to sell coz he says insurance is to high. i have a mazda astina 323 97 model and he wants to trade his for mine and willing to pay more for mine....says he's in a bit of a rush. didnt ask many questions about my car just focused more on the price....do you think something dodgy is going on?? he's down grading from v-tec to an average 1.8 L DOHC mazda and also willing to pay more....hmmm sumthing smells funny...wat do you guys rekon??

hey dude its not fishy at all.

i know alot of people (including myself) that would settle for a daily driver like your mazda,

the mazda 323 is worth more than the vti-R i believe or about the same.

maybe he's just looking for a daily driver.

T-onedc2
10-04-2008, 08:03 AM
A model with only 165k should be asking a higher price than the average '94 VTi-R, so check what the going price is or a start. The Mazda may be more practical, or maybe not, depends on the owner. Power and quality is a downgrade, don't get me wrong these Mazda's are a good car with a good reliable BP engine but typical Honda build quality and reliability is higher, but may not be so evident on a '94 model though.

rikstar
10-04-2008, 09:27 AM
have you even seen the car yet? The car could be a complete mess and not even worth considering.

But i would agree with ricki_kalsi, get the relevant checks (stolen, written off etc.) I've been caught out once with a car that was too good to be true and ended up paying a very expensive life lesson.

type R racer
10-04-2008, 11:05 AM
yeah i have cheaked it out...its pretty dirty...front bumpers abit damaged, horn doesnt work, has an xforce exhaust system though...dats alrite..umm but im might make a proposal to him...if he replaces the front bumper its his for 8000 but if he leaves it then i'll sell it to him for 8500 and i'll fix the rest of the stuff such as the horn etc. i drove it and it seems fine...just gotta get use to the heavy duty clutch..power wise...i couldnt test it out as yet coz i was in the city where all the cops were but it was definitely faster den my car..and recaro seats were abit tattered.

do you think i shud buy the 94' model or find a better one??

type R racer
10-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda build quality and reliability is higher, but may not be so evident on a '94 model though.

which model would be better den??

type R racer
10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
redbook says integra 94' model is worth 6000 to 8000 i think and astina is 4000 to 6000 but coz my kms are so low its worth about the 8000 mark

rikstar
10-04-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah i have cheaked it out...its pretty dirty...front bumpers abit damaged, horn doesnt work, has an xforce exhaust system though...dats alrite..umm but im might make a proposal to him...if he replaces the front bumper its his for 8000 but if he leaves it then i'll sell it to him for 8500 and i'll fix the rest of the stuff such as the horn etc. i drove it and it seems fine...just gotta get use to the heavy duty clutch..power wise...i couldnt test it out as yet coz i was in the city where all the cops were but it was definitely faster den my car..and recaro seats were abit tattered.

do you think i shud buy the 94' model or find a better one??

if you look hard enough you'll always find better ones... just depends on how soon you want it and how much you are prepared to pay. But most of the time you get what you pay for.

I know i haven't really answered your question, but a car is such a personal thing, at the end of the day you're the one that is going to be driving it not us.

Moya
10-04-2008, 12:21 PM
$7500 is all they are really worth to Insurance. Maybe he's a dumbass, and is going off his Insurance value and going off Redbook.

whteva
18-04-2008, 01:54 PM
il do a couple of tests and check before il go through with it. I'll rather pay $7700 for the car knowing that it in good condition.
Could be a great deal now, but cost you plenty more in the long run. Talking from experience grabbing what look like a great value for my trade. End up costing me a rebuild within the first 2 months. Previously owner done dodge mechincal work to keep the car running i.e thicker oil to hide motor rattle.

my 2cents.

xtat1k
18-04-2008, 08:44 PM
my mate just got one for 7.5k so dont see why you cant ?

Lukey
19-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Most Vti-Rs I've looked at on the net are going for 10k+ minimum.

GSis are going for like 6.5 - 8.5 maybe 9.

Evening DA9s are over 5k each.

rikstar
19-04-2008, 09:44 AM
well in Vic, VTi-R's are in demand due to the recent Power to Weight restictions for P Platers. That and the fact they are a good car all round (VTEC!!!)

connections
20-04-2008, 01:09 AM
why would e be in a rush to do the trade?

also recaro seats?? are you sure LOL..

does sound a lil weird to me, its a downgrade for him both looks and cost wise why woudl he want to pay cash,

maby the cars a repairable write off, stolen, owing credit ect ect

adis
02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
sounds doddgy brother, mine is 95 vti and im asking 13k. Why? because ive done everything rite for the car.. what ever it needed i done it, always serviced always top notch.

AznTeg
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
hmm..wherbouts are u?nsw qld? wen i was shopping round for a vtir.. saw 1 wif my mech. mate..: da car was owned by a leb, from bankstown syd (not trying to stereotype or offend neone here) asking round da same price, front bumper was a bit off, maroon in colour, everyfing els stock.. no fancy exhaust or recaros.. my mate checked it ova.. seemd like da front cv's shat itself.. soo jus be careful...check everyfing.. btw how much rego left?

simonnowis
03-05-2008, 11:15 PM
sounds little suss to me especially since hes rushing through the deal, as there would of been quite a few ppl interested especially at that price with those km's, there may be problems that require money to fix that he doesnt wanna pay. ask if you can do a check up at an nrma authorised place. cant remmeber how much they cost but might be worth it, u dont wanna end up with a handful of problems that will cost you an arm and a leg.

HachiKilla
06-05-2008, 10:56 PM
i dunno.. if you feel insecure about it then its probably best not to go for a deal like that.. sounds dodgy to me as well.. if he lets you check the car out properly and gives you a bit more time then maybe..

LUD35
06-05-2008, 11:03 PM
my mate bought a 94 vti-r up here in QLD, he paid 7k for it...pretty decent car hey.

only problem is the gearbox blew up 1 week later :( cost him 1k to fix, so essentially he paid 8k for a 94 vti-r

doesn't sound too dodgy to me, get the relivant checks and take it for a good drive ie take it on the highway and city driving and u should be able to get a gut feeling about it pretty quick.

string
07-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Just check it out. You are getting what you are looking it at. If it feels wrong, don't buy it. Never settle for anything less than what you want. Second hand cars are a buyers market, so be prepared to say no to a "bargain".

Genuine bargains always exist however, for whatever reasons.