PDA

View Full Version : Screechy brakes

Dane
10-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Where do you start to diagnose Screeching / Vibrating brake discs??

it's really annoying and don't know if they need to be cleaned or what. Pads are still pretty meaty.
It's very loud when roll backwards a little then apply brake.

kn1ghtm4r3
10-04-2008, 01:11 PM
vibrates when u step on the brakez? maybe u need to machine ur rot0rs if it is. i had that problem lol

ended up getting new slotted rotors instead.

aaronng
10-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't machine the rotors.

Check that you have anti-squeal shims installed when you had the pads put in. The shims are used with the stock brake pads. So you reuse them when you get aftermarket (or new oem) pads.

Jump
10-04-2008, 02:03 PM
exactly what aaronng said, its a common mistake when people throw the shims out when they change their brake pads so check to see if you still have them on

Dane
10-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh Yes, Good point. Didn't even think to check them.

aaronng
10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
If you don't have the shims, you can buy them from the dealer (might have to order it in) or check the wreckers. An alternative is the liquid anti-squeal compound. It's red in colour and sold in Supercheap auto.

EuroDude
11-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Brakes can still make noises with the shims installed, my civic used to do it.

Buy some anti squeal compound and apply it to any part that has metal contacting metal.

i.e. between the pad and shim, in the notches at the ends of the pad where it sits in the caliper, and ontop of the shim where the round piston makes contact.

If its making a very loud screech, the pad may be worn down to the metal safety pin. Replace the pads if this is the case.

Sometimes the noise can be caused by a stone that found its way between the caliper shield or pad, and the disc. So you might wanna remove the wheel and inspect the caliper area. Turn the disc with your hand both ways to determine where the sound is coming from. If there is a caliper shield, move it back and forward a bit to get the stone loose.

CB7_OWNER
13-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Did you inspect your rotors, for any sign or warping?