PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Spark Ignition

fat_85_civic
10-04-2008, 03:44 PM
On my car at the moment the computer only controlls the fuel injection, not the timing, the distributor does the timing all by itself. When i got turbo tho i will be getting a full aftemarket comp and want it to control the timing.
Will i be able to lock the dissy somehow and make the computer advance and retard it or is it better to take it all off and run 2 coils in wasted aperk mode?
I like the idea of wasted spark because it seem like the spark should be stronger and it will neaten up my engine bay. Is it worth the extra cash and effort?

Weq
14-04-2008, 04:41 PM
No.

The benifit VS an OEM dizzy setup is only seen at very very very high horsepower apps. The type of applications that have not seen australian shores.

Will it be easier?? Well that all depends on the ECU that you choose to run and how easy it is to retrofit a standard odb1~ dizzy setup on the car.

nd55
15-04-2008, 09:03 PM
> When i got turbo tho i will be getting a full aftemarket comp

I think you'll be at the mercy of whatever the ECU you choose is capable of.

The common units like Crome, Hondata on OBD1 will use the dizzy for distributing the spark to the relevant cylinder, but the timing will be controlled by the ECU itself.

> Will i be able to lock the dissy somehow

That's the easy part.

Disconnect any vacuum advance and lock the weights is the most common approach to this.

There are other issues.

The previously mentioned aftermarket ECU's require OBD1 sensors.

I pulled this quote off honda-tech.com.

> As for the ECU, why not use an OBDI ECU? The fact of the matter is that the wiring
> changes required to run an EFI motor in a carbed 1985 Civic are going to be about the
> same in difficulty whether the ECU is OBD0 or OBDI.

Me thinks buying a cheap OBD1 engine + gearbox will cost you less than piece-meal upgrading all the required bits.

[Flame suit on]
Turbocharging a carby engine is a lost cause. :thumbdwn:
[Nick runs and hides]

Nick.

fat_85_civic
15-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Dont worry, its not carby any more, look at my sig. and i think it wiil be easier to bolt some coil packs to the engine rather than triny to fit a OBD1 dissy to it, i know it can be done but it either needs an adapter plate made up or only bolts on with one bolt, and i dont like the idea of that.

Weq
16-04-2008, 01:11 PM
the 1 bolt is perfectly fine IMO. Been done many times.. U can also fab up a peice that will allow another bolt to go in. Its pretty easy.

COP is expensive. BUT as said above. i think it all comes down to your choice of ECU. Figure tha tout.

nd55
20-04-2008, 02:08 AM
From http://www.mnsportcompacts.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=66737
> The d16a6, d15b7, and d16y8 all have the same bolt pattern for the dizzy.

d15b7 is OBD1 (I think)

And more info on distributors
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70869
Nick.