PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Injectors on a 50,000km car? Dodgy Dealer

EuroDude
10-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Got the car serviced at a honda dealer and got slammed $110 for cleaning clogged injectors. Sounds dodgy to me. They have dodged me a few times now for a mysterious 'Fuel Treatment' and apparent 'Brake Fluid is off colour' when the car only did 30,000km

Firstly how would they tell the injectors were clogged without using a tester?
If they did use a tester, why would they waste time testing them on a car thats only done 50,000km?
I doubt they physically cleaned them, perhaps I should check them myself. I bet they just added a $10 bottle of injector cleaner to the fuel.
I always use 98RON fuel so I highly doubt they were clogged, and the performance is the same before and after the service.
Plus I could tell they were lying over the phone, the dudes voice had hesitation when he mentioned it, after I declined another dodgy thing they wanted to replace.

Thoughts?

ECU-MAN
10-04-2008, 05:46 PM
brake fluid should be changed every 12months or every 20000kms

as for the injetctors, what they do is disable the fuel pump, and crack open the fuel line and connect a can through a regulator. and clamp the fuel return line. the can is the injector flush and doubles as the fuel.

then they start the car and the engine runs from the contents of the can.

the claim is the fluid in the can cleans the injectors and removes carbon build up in the plenum and combution chamber.

EuroDude
10-04-2008, 06:20 PM
ok thanks for that, it sounds like a time consuming job.

Is it a common occurance for a newish engine?

krogoth
10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
brake fluid should be changed every 12months or every 20000kms

as for the injetctors, what they do is disable the fuel pump, and crack open the fuel line and connect a can through a regulator. and clamp the fuel return line. the can is the injector flush and doubles as the fuel.

then they start the car and the engine runs from the contents of the can.

the claim is the fluid in the can cleans the injectors and removes carbon build up in the plenum and combution chamber.

john, my service manual states every 60k kms i think

more or less only to be chaged wen the pads are, for brake fluid that is

and, IMO, thers no way injectors need any kind of cleaning, ultrasonic bath or otherwise at 50k kms, sounds like bs to me

ive already hit 57k kms, and not a mention of any kind of injector cleaning....

dads explorer has done 260k kms, on 91 fuel from the indian guy's no name petrol station for 10 years, never had injectors cleaned, lol

HondaTechy
10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
yep brake fluids 36 months or 60.000kms,for the injectors you got ripped,i work for a dealer for the last seven years i have never sent a set of honda injectors out.

EuroDude
10-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah thought so, thanks :thumbsup:

Wander what they will say next, "Your oil dip stick has an oil mark on the handle and needs replacing, that will be $279.95 plus $160 labour"

CRXer
10-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Ive heard of cars experiencing fouled injectors with as little as 20,000km on the clock before.

EuroDude
10-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Its possible, if the tank was filled up with dodgy contaminated fuel from the bottom of a settled petrol stations tank.

If they were clogged, surely I would have noticed a performance drop. The additives in 98RON would have cleaned them out anyway.

I'm pretty sure I was ripped a new one, they have tried to replace my tires saying they had 0% tread wear left. When in fact there was like 20% left and good for a couple of months (grip above the indicator showed at least 5mm of wear left).

krogoth
10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
yeh, but like i said b4, IMO, ud need to pee in ur tank in order to warrant injector cleaning at 50k kmz, lmao

ECU-MAN
11-04-2008, 12:41 PM
more or less only to be chaged wen the pads are, for brake fluid that is

12 months or 20 000 is a good time to change brake fluid.

sludge and moisture can build up

Void
12-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Dude its called " Up selling" All dealerships do it.
its to gain extra money for the dealership Not much is left out of the service after taking away cost price of everything. usealy its like a 4% on top of cost price on everything
Ive worked for a dealership for 4 years now,
Usealy the person who recommends it gets a small cut out of maybe like $5.
Heres a example. We have Winns products eg a/c service, Enviro flush-TB and injector clean, Auto flush, Engine flush,P/s flush, then i can do them for w/a and rotate and balance i get $5 each one i recommend so thats $35 for me now if i do this about 4 times a week thats alot of money i make ontop of my pay lol

backdog
19-04-2008, 06:17 PM
But they would have asked you before they performed the work, and obviously you agreed. They cant just hit you with an extra 110 bucks when you pick up your car.

94vtirozguy
19-04-2008, 06:35 PM
if you run your car down to the bottom of your fuel tank, some of the stuff in there invaribly ends up in the injectors. To avoid this don't run your car to the last litre of fuel especially if your car is not new.

how the crap gets in the bottom of the tank if from petrol stations with crap in their tanks.

just depends what the place charges on labor how much you get charged for injector clean.