PDA

View Full Version : 89' Prelude questions

Maltese2plz
06-09-2004, 06:06 PM
1st question... which generation iz my 89' SI 4WS prelude??

2nd question... i got a defect for a frayed seat belt on tha drivers side for $250. can they dish out that fine, or did they just pull it from thier asses 2 b harbour side pigs who they r??

3rd question... if i get rid of my rear spoiler, how do i fill up tha holes wer it used 2 b??

bigteethygrin
06-09-2004, 06:10 PM
3rd gen

yes and yes

i think there are plugs you can get but if you want that flush look then fibreglass and filler??

Maltese2plz
06-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanx heaps 4 dat... gotz heaps of questions but cant think of em...

thers a 88 prelude on tha prelude australia site ( duno if he is on dis 1?) and he has rear skyline lights... NOT tha old old skool rectangle ones but tha newer round lights....... wer culd i purchase and for how much u rekon?

n e suggestions wer 2 get front kits, side skirts etc...

My exhaust iz pritty loud atm, if i lob in a air filter in will this increase tha sound comin from the exhaust much more??

if ive been runnin ma car hard round tha streets n shit, wen i turn it off, a noise appears like a cooling sorta system, iz this common in all 89 prelude's??

wat other suggestions do you ppl have 2 make ma car look and run betta??

fanx 4 ur time....

MALTESE2PLZ

LUD02C
08-09-2004, 08:46 AM
In all Gen 3 Prelude's 88-91 the fan stays on after your engine temp reaches 40 degrees or the coolant is over 100 degrees.
The fan will stay on from 2 min to 12 min.

Bodykits can be found at jetspeed (off the shelf) or you can go custom from any panel shop.

As for the exhaust and air filter.
The standard box has been proven to be better then a K&N one or whatever brand. Unless you move the battery to the boot then you can fit a K&N.

They are good cars, make sure the timing belt gets changed once every 110,000kms otherwise you'll be driving a well snap!
Its happened alot to friends that i know.

Any other questions?
I'll be happy to answer them

Jason :wave:

Maltese2plz
09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
mm thats wat i thought bout tha fan!!

so thers no way of fitting a pod without moving battery...... i swear ive seen it done!! culd b wrong though!? ( how much 2 get engineered??)

how much u rekon alright side skirts are....... n maybe front kit?? ROUGHLY??

yer im actually gettin ma belts done like next week... it says 133,000kms but i highly doubt that!! lol

but everythin shuld b sweet afta this belt change and service..... :honda:

i got leeks comin from side bak window but im gettin them fixed pretty soon.... i need a back seal for tha window.. the top bit but i culdnt be bothered treking out west to get it.... how much is courier u rekon?? or is it betta to go get it 2 try it first??

so wen iz next cruise..... caus im up 4 chekin out other rides n stuff.....

were u ppl from??

thanx heaps Jason n others 4 ur time...... :thumbsup:

LUD02C
10-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Yeh you can fit a air filter without moving the battery, but it just sucks in hot air :(

At Jetspeed i know the front bar is $350 and the side skirts are $400 for both sides i think. (not sprayed)

After the belt change and service she should be running like a dream!!!

You can get couriers from $6.50 anywhere in Sydney with 1 day delivery!
So if you don't have time, you might be best of just taking 20 minutes of your time to find a courier!

Not sure on next cruise, my Prelude is for sale.
But if you wanna meet up before i sell it so you can look at another Prelude and ask some questions i'll be happy to.
I live in the Hills District (Castle Hill)
What about you?

No worries for helping you out.
Any more questions just ask.

Maltese2plz
13-09-2004, 06:36 PM
i know its sposed 2 suck in cold air, but iz ther sumfin wrong wif sukin in hot? hmm sounds like id have 2 move battery :(

have 2 wait for sum income b 4 get skirts or bar first tho.... but thanx 4 the pricing of it all....

why u sellin it 4?? how much?

yer i live in killara... not far, near chatswood.......
mmm yer ill come have a look wen i have tym....

watz max speed in 3rd gen preludes?? always wanted 2 know..

dont have n e questions so far.... bit tired 2 think of sum!!

thanx 4 ur time Jason.....

LUD02C
13-09-2004, 08:54 PM
I've done 186km/h on the F3 in my Prelude.
I need to sell it because of work, I need a standard 4 door (i'm a real estate agent)

They are great cars, once you get used to the 4WS its really fun!
Over and under steer come into play!
I've taken mine to Oran Park and Wakefield.

Jason:wave:

Redteg
13-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, my g/f put down a deposit on an 89 lude on the weekend (yes, her 3rd car this year, she keeps changing her mind). Anything I should look for in particular when we go check it out next weekend? Or is it pretty much the standard stuff to be wary of?

Gonna have a Honda family, shame it isn't red though...

Jason, is yours an 89?

LUD02C
17-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Mine is a 1990
Same car just 2 things are different. Power antenna and rubber on the window (small back one)
Nothing major.

What to look for?

- When the timing belt was changed.
- The wear on the tyres the 3rd Gen (88-91) has a bad problem of pulling left (camber issues)
- Don't worry about the stereo i know you'll change it ;) (the H/U has a screw at the back pain to get to)
- Damage under the front bar, once you look under you'll notice if there is any

Thats about it really.
Come show me when you buy it.

Redteg
19-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks Jason! We'll have a maccas meet or something.

Gotta sort some things with her old car before we trade it in, and the Prelude looks like it needs some lovin', but I don't think its anything major, all that's really worrying me is the 240,000k's it has racked up. Then again, the teg is just shy of 200k and its still doing well.

Dealer wants 8 grand for it, which I think we'll have to bring down a bit just to cover a few mechanical repairs I think it needs.

With a bit of work i may have to decide which honda i'll be bringing to cruises in the future...

McChook
19-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks Jason! We'll have a maccas meet or something.

Gotta sort some things with her old car before we trade it in, and the Prelude looks like it needs some lovin', but I don't think its anything major, all that's really worrying me is the 240,000k's it has racked up. Then again, the teg is just shy of 200k and its still doing well.

Dealer wants 8 grand for it, which I think we'll have to bring down a bit just to cover a few mechanical repairs I think it needs.

With a bit of work i may have to decide which honda i'll be bringing to cruises in the future...
I like the Preludes, but your car is always a head turner. Definitely the best presented car consistantly

Redteg
21-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks Matt, I try to keep it presentable, although I know alot more work can and should be done on it.

Let's just hope the lude can be brought up to standard and then kept there.

z3lda
23-09-2004, 02:22 PM
8 gs for a 3gen prelude with 240ks fowar! u can pick em up much less then tat with much less ks on the clock down in melb!

Redteg
23-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Yee, my g/f negotiated it down to $6,700 which isn't pretty bad considering that she's trading in her old car for that.

Unfortunately, the guy was insistant in replacing the factory stereo which wasn't working. So, instead of us saving a couple of hundred bucks and putting in something decent, he'll probably just put in some SoundMaster casette deck he pulled out of another car.

Ah well, it'll match the dodgy 6x9 job the old owner did to the rear parcel shelf.

Do all Gen 3's have a little lip on the front? I think this is missing it, gotta invest.

LUD02C
23-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Redteg i got a shit load of close pics of all angles of the 3rd Gens.
Hit me with your e-mail and i'll show you!

Whats with this shitty stereo?
I got a new Zapco amp and boston 6.5 pros etc.
Not installed yet, got to get a screen and shit.

Redteg
23-09-2004, 07:35 PM
thanks man!
acropoliss@optusnet.com.au

I can tell I'll be spending quite alot of time next week down at Honbits...

What were your old splits Jason? I thought you were happy with those.

I told her that she should have told them to leave out the stereo. Doesn't matter, she can have mine and I'll get a new one. I went and listened to a pair of Dynaudios, dunno if I wanna spend that much moolah yet.

McChook
23-09-2004, 11:02 PM
thanks man!
acropoliss@optusnet.com.au

I can tell I'll be spending quite alot of time next week down at Honbits...

What were your old splits Jason? I thought you were happy with those.

I told her that she should have told them to leave out the stereo. Doesn't matter, she can have mine and I'll get a new one. I went and listened to a pair of Dynaudios, dunno if I wanna spend that much moolah yet.
Unless you get everything cheap as from Todd and Craig, allow me to source the parts you need man... I no longer work at concord Sapres, but I now have a lot more contacts.....

Redteg
24-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks Matt, I just don't want you to have to go out of your way. All I'll be getting is picky little stuff that only I can see needs replacing hehe. I don't know the front desk guys, only Arthur who changed my fuel pump and is an absolute legend.

The front lip is one for sure though, but I'll see when I investigate the car a little closer.

LUD02C
24-09-2004, 09:38 AM
What pics do you want?
Just front end or what?

Yeh i'm happy with the FS-60's but they are going to the rear for fill (or my sisters impreza) not sure.
Need more power (thats why i got the Zapco amp)
Plus new sub, not sure what kind yet

Redteg
24-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Yee front end would be fine, maybe one of the rear just to see if anything's been changed. I'm sure i'll have millions of questions once I actually spend some time with the car.

Be a nice brother, give them to your sis! Lifestyle have some nice subs, I'm going for a smaller, less intrusive sub for my spare tyre enclosure. They're not an easy thing to choose.

bennyfy
13-10-2004, 02:49 AM
the 3rd gen prelude is great!
it's quick compare with other NA 2.0 car like galant NA, silvia standard
the 4ws is fun as i was driving it, and the ass was just like drifting in the round about.

the fans is annoying, as mostly when i switched off the car, someone came and told me that my car wasn't off.........same situation with my pulsar ET turbo with turbo timer b4.......

Maltese2plz
14-10-2004, 09:07 PM
yer the 4WS romps all other steering!! great fun...
my friends always say 2 me ur car is still on or is that just the turbo... i just reply with yer its a turbo n nearly all of them believe me... no car sense wat so ever....

wen we had that kronic rain down in sydney a couple weeks back, i woke up 2 drive home to find just as i was getting out of my lude a 3 - 4cm pubble of rain water beind passenger seat on the floor!! :confused:

it was really strange as i had neva encountered this before, and i dont really know were it came from.... do mechanics do water tests to see if there are any leaks? or who does.........??

i need a rear window seal for the top of my window because when i purchased car it didnt have one, then i bought one from honbits then it fell off on freeway cause it wasnt glued properly... how much are they because i have forgotten, or can anyone hook me up with one.....

Cheers........ :thumbsup:

LUD02C
15-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Check your sunroof rubbers and rear window.
Also i got my Audison wet from were the water runs down the boot seal and under the car...

Check that the plug on the boot chassis is not filled up with dirt etc.
Also if your rubber seals on your window and sunroof is ok then check the tubes from the sunroof...

What i mean is where your aerial and that is there is a 2 inch tube (for excess water from the sunroof) alot of the time they never get cleaned and it fills up and guess what you have a puddle in your car. Both sides of the boot have this.

You have to un-do your boot trim to get to it and wiggle it through some medal (the chassis) and clean it with hot water.

Any questions, let me know.

Maltese2plz
18-10-2004, 07:54 PM
hmmm u sound smart, and its most probably one of those things.....

i dont know how to those spots wer it culd leak, but ill show ur thread to my friend that should know...

if its one of those spots where it comes from (the rain) how does it end up on my floor. what i mean is where abouts does the water come from to make my floor wet? because i was driving today and i have a towel on the floor and the top is mostly dry but the bottom of the towel which is on the floor is damp....

sorry if im confusing but i try the best to my ability :D :wave:

thanx for your input and ill let you know how i go with it..

:cool:

LUD02C
19-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Depends where it is blocked to where it lands in your car?
Is you car lowered?
Look for holes in the ground?

McChook
19-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Sunroof is leaking mate - common 3rd gen issue

Maltese2plz
19-10-2004, 07:33 PM
cars not lowered... but i was thinking that at the start, but i highly doubt it.

yer heard alot of talk bout sunroof leaks.....

im guessing it is the sunroof....

LUD02C the thread before u posted bout how to check if a certain place on the car is leaking, was that about the sunroof??

to check if sunroof is leaking is it hard to find out if it is? should i do it or mechanic? and is it easy to fix? what is involved??

thanks heaps Mchook and lud02c......

Maltese2plz
19-10-2004, 07:41 PM
McChook - join www.exodus-online.com if u want.... i say this cause most of the guys in this car club are from the shire also......

others welcome aswell!!

Ciao

McChook
20-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks, I shall join

Yeah, sunroof - Check the rubber seals... After that, I have no idea - never had a 3rd gen

Maltese2plz
02-11-2004, 08:24 PM
well i got my car serviced the other day... got them to check the sunroof and they said it was pretty full of shit on one side n a little on the other... so hopefully no more leaks!

so hopefully no more leaks from now on.....

a question 4 u people, my front right speaker and back right is making like a little crackling sound or a distortion sound or something.... watz wrong with them and can i fix??

talk to uz later

Ciao....

phatt_lude
03-11-2004, 09:31 PM
hey LUD02C just curious how much you selling your car for. If its 1990 does that mean you have the clear tailights? and btw how many k's have you done. Ive seen your car around on the forums, how much were those roh wheels you got?

LUD02C
04-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Maltese2plz: Your rear speaker has UV ray damage and it has cracked the speaker.
Your front one has the same problem or the wiring has come loose on the back. Very simple to fix.
You can fit 6" splits in the front of the Preludes (3rd Gen) and you need custom made speaker pods for 6x9 at the back.

phatt_lude: Hey Mate.
I sold the car for $5,600 (it had very minor panel damage on the right front guard)
Clear tail lights only came on the 1991 Preludes, the 1990 had power aerial and a few other minor things different.
The car only had 173,720km when i sold it.
The ROH fury wheels cost me $800 for the 4 rims and $525 for the rubber (all brand new)

Any more questions, please just ask!

Maltese2plz
04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
thanx LUD02C for the info.... ill look into the speakers... it probably is uv cause the rear window is pretty wide n attracts the sun.... iv got tinted windows, does this help block the sun or the other way??
wen i got my service done, now when say im sitting and waiting for the lights to go, when it idles it shakes more than usual.. any knowledge why??

LUD02C
04-11-2004, 09:58 PM
From my understanding the Prelude's spit fuel and air in and thats why it happens.
I heard this from a Honda mechanic so i'm not 100% on the info.

Does it happen all the time?
Or just when you come down a few gears quick on a hot day or what?

Spite84
10-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I have a 1988 prelude also.

I am experiencing this also. When i'm idling at lights (around 800 rpm) it shudders a bit, like it's struggling. But if i touch the pedal a bit and hold it on about 850-900 it's fine. I was thinking i might just tweak the trottle and raise the idle speed a little, because this is starting to annoy me.

Also, does anyone else have problems with alot of rattles inside the car (driver door handle/lock for one). Also, if i near redline i get a rattling/buzzing sound in behind (or atleast from that direction) the centre console/glove box.

is this common in preludes.. i'm thinking it might just be the vibrations get to the natural resonance of something in there (loose screws in a 16 year old car cant be uncommon)