PDA

View Full Version : Any way to disable the Fuel cut-off (bunnyhop) when decelerating? (6MT)

EuroDude
11-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Is there any way to disable the Fuel cut-off when decelerating? (6MT)

For some reason, Honda found it funny to cut off the fuel injection when you lift your foot of the Accelerator. I'm guessing its a fuel consumption thing, knowing Honda, they probably did it to lower the fuel efficiency rating of the car to sell more, or to limit emissions.

Its ok when its in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. But when in 1st and 2nd, cutting the fuel causes the car to jolt and bunnyhop, and can be annoying when in slow traffic.

A solution would be to ride the clutch, but I dont wanna replace the clutch anytime soon.

I assume the ECU is in control of this, so perhaps it can be reprogrammed or something?

Converting the DBW to a mechanical throttle would solve the problem but I dont wanna do that and lose cruise control etc..

blk05gli
11-04-2008, 08:51 PM
i don't thank anyone has successfully reprogrammed the stock ECU yet? Mine does not hop in 2nd though - its pretty smooth.

Bo0o0ost
11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Mine doesnt hop at all :S

power_of_dreams
11-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Never experience bunnyhopping on the downshift, occasionally when going up through the gears if your not gentle though..

curik
11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Mine does that only in the 1st gear, but now I'm used to it and it's fine

vtek
11-04-2008, 10:25 PM
sounds like its caused by the drive by wire throttle control you have to adapt to it... do you guys mean theres a slight delay when accelerating?

JasonGilholme
11-04-2008, 10:42 PM
i've got two cars the run a fuel cut off and i have no problems at all.

Just learn to drive smoother.

aaronng
11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Only happens in 1st gear, and only if I lift off my foot suddenly. You should learn to be smoother if it is happening to you in 2nd and 3rd gear as well.

cupnoodle
11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I experience the same jerkiness.

tron07
11-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I think its the driving style that cause the hopping..... usually you only lift off to change gears, and when you do so you engage the clutch.

drftr
11-04-2008, 11:27 PM
i have a problem in my auto euro where the car jolts if i re-engage the accelerator when the car is just about to stop, like when i am braking for a give way, but as there is no traffic, i reengage the throttle just as the car is about to come to a complete stop. If i do that, there is a big jerk.

i think its because the car shifts down to 1st gear when it is about to stop and once i tap the accelerator again, it shifts straight to 2nd and hence the jolt...does anyone else experience this phenomonen or is it just my car...

SPQR
12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
I noticed this when I first test drove the Euro manual in 2004. One of the reasons I got an auto (very smooth). I don't think that there is a solution that works every time apart from trying to drive smoothly.

tony1234
12-04-2008, 07:24 AM
If you want to spend $1250 the JTUNE ECU reflash reduces it by quite a bit but i find if you're gentle on the accelerator when you're in 1st gear it's not too bad.

EuroDude
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
True, the Auto doesnt do it at all.

It doesnt matter how smooth I use the accelerator, the jerkiness still happens most of the time. However I noticed that sometimes if you quickly accelerate then lift off the throttle, the fuel doesn't get cut off and behaves like a normal Manual (Because the engine is burning off the left over fuel I guess). But when you are stuck in slow traffic going 2km/h, you cannot accelerate quickly for obvious reasons. Its even worse when in traffic going up a hill.

2nd gear isnt too bad but still annoying. 1st gear is terrible - the whole car bunnyhops and makes you look like a Learner driver trying to work the clutch for the first time lol

The whole point of keeping it in gear when slowing down is to avoid excessive clutch wear. Thanks to the fuel cut-off, the clutch needs to be used much more often just to avoid the bunnyhop.

I realise an aftermarket ECU should solve the problem, but surely you can simply reprogram the existing ECU

tron07
13-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I think its not just the ECU that causing the jerkiness motion, but a combination of it, the DBW, throttle body and ECU