PDA

View Full Version : DC2R gearbox problem..

sai_vang
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
hey guys i currently have a DC2R and had my gearbox re-done in Nov last yr.. i had problems with the gears and got the major faulty parts replaced. however the guy that was in charge of the repair suggested that since i was taking the gearbox out and have it inspected i should might as well replace other worned parts inside to make sure i wont have to take it out later down the track. so i went with his suggestions and got the whole gearbox fixed. and i have a 1 year warranty on the repairs. However currently i have experience some noise coming from the gearbox when driving at slow speed. for example if you are doing 40k/h in 5th gear and the rev is at about 2 - 2.5k, ..however if the it revs higher to 3 and above the sound goes away..... by the way the noise sounds like metal banging together or something like that and you can feel the vibration. it happens through-out all the gears..

has anyone experienced the same problem before or know what could be the cause??

do you guys think the fault should be covered as i have a 1 year warranty on the repairs.. ?

all info and suggestions greatly appreciated...

sai...

Tu88y
12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Was the clutch replace at the same time

Bludger
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
its very hard to diagnose a sound via the net

best to get an educated opinion from a different source

good luck:)

Icegroove
13-04-2008, 12:15 AM
question: why is it in fifth when your only at 40km/h?
the vibration thing/metal on metal sound (to me) is synonymous with being in a too high a gear at a low speed.

try gears 2 and 3 at 40km/h - do you still get the same results?

GSi_PSi
13-04-2008, 02:48 AM
probly worn bearings

Zilli
13-04-2008, 07:46 PM
question: why is it in fifth when your only at 40km/h?
the vibration thing/metal on metal sound (to me) is synonymous with being in a too high a gear at a low speed.

try gears 2 and 3 at 40km/h - do you still get the same results?

smart man, try this out mate, try and gain momentum at the same speed in the other gears... 40km/h taking off in 5th is too slow.

try that and come back, if its still doing it, take it back to the bloke who did the repair work

aznpsuazn
13-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Use your warranty!

sai_vang
13-04-2008, 08:40 PM
thanks a lot guys.. i also had a new cushion button clutch put in aswell...

yep i know its a too high gear for that low speed.. if i was doin 40k at 2nd or 3rd.. it would not make the noise.. however it doesnt seem right because my bro in law has a DC2r as well and its fine with his... further more you can not start off in 2nd or 3rd gear... if u try.. you'll get the sound of metal clashing and vibration and then it'll stall... however this does not really matter cos i wouldnt be startin of in any gears besides first anyway..

wat i thought in the first place was that the bearings are gone but i have just fixed the gearbox and replace all things needed and worned and it has only been a couple of months good driving... however i think i might need to take it back to the place where i got it repaired to see if its covered under warranty.. by the way i paid $2700 for the previous gearbox rebuilt...

Icegroove
13-04-2008, 08:45 PM
from the sounds of it...5th gear at 40kmh will make those sounds that you're getting. I'm pretty sure even if you drove a DC2R brand new from factory..and you do that...it will still make the sound.

to me it sounds normal - but like others have said - if you are still worried take it back. Always better to get it checked out rather then something happen.

sai_vang
13-04-2008, 09:00 PM
true.. i think i might take it back tomorrow.. anyway thanks a lot icegroove

Zilli
13-04-2008, 09:55 PM
the combo of it being too slow for the gear, with the clutch your using is whats making the metallic noises

sai_vang
13-04-2008, 10:41 PM
so the clutch is a contributing matter towards the noise?
by the way is that clutch healthy for the car..? can i get peoples point of view about the cushion button.. on my side i dont really know much about cars and parts... was suggested to me so i went along with it.... just realised it that before i change the clutch it hasnt had that problem..

ricki_kalsi
14-04-2008, 10:46 AM
you are doing 40k/h in 5th gear and the rev is at about 2 - 2.5k, ..however if the it revs higher to 3 and above the sound goes away

5th gear at 40km/h??? In 5th at 40km/h I only sit at 1500RPMish.

You should be in 3rd, or 4th at 40km/h.

absolutR
15-04-2008, 11:06 AM
thrust bearings for sure