PDA

View Full Version : [GAUGE INSTALLATION] Which wires? - Help Needed

dc2vtir
12-04-2008, 11:34 PM
hey guys

I have an 88 crx and I plan on installing my gauges myself and write up a little DIY but i need one final bit of help.

the electrical side of things

on the installation guide of the gauges it says i need the following wires to tap into for the gauges

- Connect to Groud of the vehicle (-) [i already know this is the black one]

- Connect to 12V power source (ACC) of vehicle (+)

- Connect to dash light or switchable 12v light same

So i need to know what colour wires they are so i can connect them to the gauges

ALSO would it be better to drain the oil COMPLETELY before removing the oil filter?

your help is greatly appreciated guys thanks :)

Limo
13-04-2008, 03:10 PM
i tapped my gauage wires off the dash lights, i cant remember which one, but if you pull your cluster cover off, you will see the several light sources/globes any of these should be fine. as for the ACC power i tapped my headunit power ACC wire. it will be the wire that ONLY has power while the lights are on.

use a multimeter reader to find out which wires to use. as colours mite vary between diff cars.

i drain my oil when the engine is stone cold (first thing in the morning) so it doesnt really matter if you drain your oil first or do your filter cos most of the oil is already in the sump.

sid
15-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Did you specifically want to run the wires in to the instrument cluster? or your not fussed?

Out of curiousity, what gauge is it?

aaronng
15-04-2008, 02:49 PM
- Connect to 12V power source (ACC) of vehicle (+)

- Connect to dash light or switchable 12v light same

So i need to know what colour wires they are so i can connect them to the gauges
Take one wire, connect it to the 12V line behind the cigarette lighter. Turn the key to ACC. Does the gauge light up? If it goes, then that is the 12V power source wire. If nothing happens to the gauge, then that is the wire that goes to the dash light.
Connect the 12V power source wire to the 12V wire behind your cigarette lighter. Connect the dash light wire to the 12V wire that goes into the little bulb that lights up the ring around the cigarette lighter. If you don't have a light in your cigarette lighter or ashtray, you can use the glove compartment light instead.

ALSO would it be better to drain the oil COMPLETELY before removing the oil filter?

your help is greatly appreciated guys thanks :)
You don't need to drain the oil out. When you take the filter off, the amount of oil that comes out is the same as when you drain the engine oil out beforehand. However, it is a good time to change your engine oil since your car is on jackstands anyway.

JasonGilholme
15-04-2008, 02:52 PM
go to supercheap/autobarn/whatever car parts store is near you and spend 30 bucks on a multimeter.

Put one end on the wire your test, and the other end on a descent ground. turn the ignition to acc. and if the multimeter reads 12v then thats your wire. same thing with any other situation (head lights etc)

aaronng
15-04-2008, 03:05 PM
^^ I thought he didn't know which of the 2 wires coming out of the gauge is for power and for dimming.

JasonGilholme
15-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sure he knows which ones coming from the gauge. thats what instructions are for lol. And he says he has the instructions.

i think he's after which wires in the car.

aaronng
15-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Ahh, then that is even easier. LOL. Tap them from the cigarette lighter. Red/green is 12V, black is ground. DON'T TOUCH THE YELLOW WIRES!

JasonGilholme
15-04-2008, 03:39 PM
there should also be a light dimmer switch signal there. (thats where i got my del sol signal from)

and yes, yellow wires = srs don't they?? Stay away from them. Don't even probe them with the multimeter.

aaronng
15-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I usually use either the cigarette lighter light ring, ashtray light or glovebox light to trigger the light dimmer. Saves a lot of trouble going for the wiring behind the instrument cluster.

dc2vtir
15-04-2008, 10:40 PM
yep all sorted guys thanks for the help :)

iced helped me install them and heres the end result

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/10598555/Forum/pic_150copy.jpg

SHOGUNOVDDRK
15-04-2008, 10:52 PM
yep all sorted guys thanks for the help :)

iced helped me install them and heres the end result

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/10598555/Forum/pic_150copy.jpg

OOOOOO thats nice mang!

How long it take him to install it?

dc2vtir
16-04-2008, 12:03 AM
well pretty much the whole day to get everything the way i liked it, cables, mounting even the position of the sandwich plate and how the wires would run along the engine bay

also a wrong sensor was given so i had to go swap it but it was just all minor problems that took a lot of time but at the end of the day im happy with it

and big big thanks to iced, he did a really good job with the wiring :)