PDA

View Full Version : H22a Alternator problems - In 93 Prelude

fwr
13-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I recently bought a H22a converted 93 prelude. It has a few problems, first off - the battery wasn't charging.

The regulator in the alternator was proven to be cactus.

So I went out to find a second hand alternator. Now the wreckers gave me one, same plug, no hassles putting it in, but it was from a different car, and is slightly lighter than the old one. He failed to mention what car it's from.

Now this new (but secondhand) alternator charges the battery, but the battery light still stays lit. The battery is a new battery and is holding charge.

Could the light be staying on due to the alternator being different? Or do I perhaps have a different problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

i_s2_honda
14-04-2008, 12:04 AM
hrmmmmm if it works its ok i guess but it would do good to change it for an alternator that actually matches your car your battery is still not probably charging if your battery light is lit... which would mean you are going to get a flat battery pretty quick...

fwr
14-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Well that's the thing, the alternator is charging the battery, (checked it with a multimeter) and the battery is holding charge.

Voltage from the alternator was always over 14 (14.5 etc)

Are there any other reasons the check battery light might come on? Should the check battery light disappear automatically when you fix the problem, or do you have to cancel it out somehow?

Thanks for your reply by the way

teh_mechanic
14-04-2008, 05:10 PM
im pretty sure the check battery light function checks that the voltage the battery is receiving is in between a range,if the voltage falls below this range or goes above it then the light comes on.

below is ok,your battery will just go dead.overcharging is more serious,can lead to batteries blowing up in cases.

14.5 v is a good voltage for an alternator to be putting out,pretty much perfect from my memory.so why your light is on i dont know?

you said your new alternator felt lighter than the old one,maybe it has less windings in the new one,therefore making it give out less voltage than your car wants,making the light come on.just a theory

fwr
16-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Cheers for the reply teh_mechanic

Well it's not over-charging or under-charging, as you said it's pretty much putting out the perfect voltage.

I like your theory, I also thought the same thing before I put the alternator in. But since we know it's putting out a good voltage it can't be the case =(

Does anyone have a list of possible reasons the check battery light comes on?

Also searching for the correct alternator. Hopefully if I find one it will fix the problem.

Will Update with what I find out! (Never know might help someone else)

RIHIA
18-04-2008, 08:39 PM
the regulator in the "new" alternator is either wired up differently - same plug size but different pin locations. so when ur alternator starts spinning its not on the right wire in the plug

or regulator is buggered in the one u just got. sorry bro

take it into an auto electrician and get it checked out. easiest and cheapest way would be to rip it off the car.

might be a good idea to take the car in first though