PDA

View Full Version : Request for serious discussion section

beeza
14-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I think it will be good because:

1.We need to talk about serious issues instead of just crap/spam all the time.

2.Spam dosen't allow for serious talk.The serious discussion section would allow for talking without the spamming.People get a chance to say what's on there mind before the thread SO EASILY gets spammed out.No offence spammers :)

P.S. dosen't have to be serious all the time...feel me.

3.Most other forums have the section.I don't see why we can't.

Thanks for reading.

chunky
14-04-2008, 07:51 PM
serious discussion
what will you be discussing?

you cant stop the spam!
power to teh people

beeza
14-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Hahaha Power to the PEOPLE not the spam! :)

People can discuss anything that's on their mind,anything that is bothering them,problems in the world,issues that arise daily etc etc.

Anything,knowing that they will get a serious reply to their serious question.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
14-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry to say this beeza but i cant envision this happening :(

Unless we had a mod supervise it almost 24/7

Hmmm well ill keep an eye on this thread too as this could be interesting :)

bennjamin
14-04-2008, 08:03 PM
The lounge is for everyday discussion.
The technical forums are for car related discussion.
The site discussion is , for site discussion.
Thats as big as it gets :)

If you want to keep a serious thread , say it and let a mod know to keep it in control.

rawr
14-04-2008, 08:13 PM
PM a mod if you dont want a thread spammed up. If you state no spam you usually dont get unrelated topics brought up.

Dont get cut and say stop spamming when someone opposes your view but :thumbsup:

beeza
14-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Cool,but not for me.A section would invite people to talk about stuff that they need to talk about.At the moment nothing exists like that here.We could go elsewhere offcoarse but seems such a waste to leave Ozhonda to talk about stuff that matters.Ya know.We all think about it but never say because of whateva reason.This section will be that place where we can say it.I know it means more work for the mods though...the last thing you guys need atm.Maybe in the future :)

beeza
14-04-2008, 08:17 PM
PM a mod if you dont want a thread spammed up. If you state no spam you usually dont get unrelated topics brought up.

Dont get cut and say stop spamming when someone opposes your view but :thumbsup:

It may tend to make the thread a bit too serious....
It needs to be relaxed too....

I don't get cut anymore :D

[ricer]
14-04-2008, 08:20 PM
its a car site... im sure there are other sites for things you want to discuss?

SiReal
14-04-2008, 08:23 PM
The problem is simple. Cut the spam, then you can have a serious conversation. Its not that hard.

But it IS spam and negativity from certain individuals of certain age groups that is slowly destroying this site.

Its a big call, but I've been here long enough to lay witness to that claim.

So if we ALL work togther to weed out the spammers, then this site will operate as a mature, friendly and informative site.

EKVTIR-T
14-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Your better off on a forum relating to the said "serious" topic imo rather than on a honda car forum.
That way the majority of member's are into that topic or subject so you will get better feedback and less bs and arguments.
Just like people come here for discussion/questions about hondas...

beeza
14-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Awesome post SiReal! I really hope that happens.I mean I don't give a s**t,people can do what they want but the spam IS destroying this site that's forsure.

I know EKVTIR-T but we all have serious things we want to talk about,not just some of us.I'm not looking to talk to people that know heaps of info on stuff.I want to hear what people are thinking/feeling ya know.Let me hear ya,I'm all ears :)

Threads like that don't exist in the lounge section.As soon as there's any sign of emotion/feeling the person gets hammered.We all have stuff on our chests that we want to get off without fear of being ridiculed...

panda[cRx]
15-04-2008, 03:08 PM
it works on other forums like OT, but due to the young user base here i dont see it happening.

plus we get enough emo threads in the lounge as is. we dont need a 'serious' section full of them

aaronng
15-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I used to think that the Lounge was for lighthearted and serious threads, while spam was confined in the spam thread. But in a few incidents where I was cutting spam, jokes and sarcastic posts from serious thread topics, there were many unhappy people complaining. That was when I realised that people think that they can spam the whole of the lounge. Even now, I have to refrain against giving infarctions in lounge threads eventhough they are spamming in a serious topic.

ek4-guy
15-04-2008, 03:36 PM
The problem is simple. Cut the spam, then you can have a serious conversation. Its not that hard.

But it IS spam and negativity from certain individuals of certain age groups that is slowly destroying this site.

Its a big call, but I've been here long enough to lay witness to that claim.

So if we ALL work togther to weed out the spammers, then this site will operate as a mature, friendly and informative site.

Well said, i agree if you see irrelevant posts report them to a moderator :thumbsup:

beeza
15-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I used to think that the Lounge was for lighthearted and serious threads, while spam was confined in the spam thread. But in a few incidents where I was cutting spam, jokes and sarcastic posts from serious thread topics, there were many unhappy people complaining. That was when I realised that people think that they can spam the whole of the lounge. Even now, I have to refrain against giving infarctions in lounge threads eventhough they are spamming in a serious topic.

So lets keep the lounge for that (but it still needs to be cleaned up,I just can't never see it becoming a place to talk about serious issues,that's why other sites have the section) and a serious discussion thread :)

I know what your saying Panda but I've been pleasantly suprised at the amount of people that come out of the woodwork when you do speak about serious issues :)

Q_ball
15-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Every lounge thread, aside from the Spam Thread, should be a well mannered, controlled and on topic discussion about something that isnt relating to cars.
Pending on the thread, obviously a few light hearted remarks is ok.

However, that said, there is a bandwagon of members that persist in spamming/posting up complete garbage... spurred on moreso, by the fact that its a lounge thread, and it cannot be moderated similar to a tech post.

dc2dc2dc2
15-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Its the lounge.
As long as its somewhat along the lines of who really cares.
As for technical...i agree technical forums such as integra/civic etc etc should stay technical.

Main issues with those sections right now
#1 Stupid questions being asked over and over again
#2 People spamming technical sections
and of course that leads to
#3 Lack of moderation in the technical forums.

SiReal
15-04-2008, 07:35 PM
If you over moderate you get whingers, if you undermoderate you get whingers.

Ideally, there should NOT be a need for forum specific moderators. Members should be mature enough to know what to post and what NOT to post.

However, that is ideally and this is reality.

dc2dc2dc2
16-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I say you should be tightasses and be hard modz in relation to specific forums
lay down the law
thats the only way people will learn.
These days by the time the thread is discovered by the mod
it has been going on for like 10 pages
Only then it is finally closed
with nothing done to the 'spammers'

aaronng
16-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I say you should be tightasses and be hard modz in relation to specific forums
lay down the law
thats the only way people will learn.
These days by the time the thread is discovered by the mod
it has been going on for like 10 pages
Only then it is finally closed
with nothing done to the 'spammers'

You shouldn't have quit then, considering you do spend a lot of time policing Ozhonda. :)

dc2dc2dc2
16-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe i shouldn't have aaronng
I just felt like my services were no longer needed.
I was just sick of the threads regarding my style of moderating and my spamming in the lounge and treatment of other moderators by taking the mickey out of them in a joking way.

I'd rather have fun in the lounge without being harassed by moderators saying it is immature and being a mod im not allowed to have fun.

chunky
16-04-2008, 02:00 PM
i thought he got fired not quit =\
lounge is lounge
i dont think many people spam the technical section do they?

dc2dc2dc2
16-04-2008, 02:03 PM
The answer is.
More mods.
Simple.
ie. I reported that s2k thread about 'post pics of ur s2k'
Still has not been moved i think, not that i have a major issue about it because a s2k mod is coming soon?
But thats the sort of examples i'm talking about.
That is no way s2k specific its just pics of ur s2k nothing technical.
I think its more informing members to learn to properly post in which forum.

EDIT:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88342

The thread above i also posted, wasn't sure where it was suppose to go. But i just reported it to be safe. How are like very broad topics like this covered? n00b forum? civic specific? wtb? or other?
Coz the dude is pretty much asking for every info he can get including
'how much civics go for'
and general n00b questions which can be found everywhere especially in civic forum.

kyle
16-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Would it be possible to make a thread starter be able to moderate his or her threads, bar editing other peoples posts, But deleting crap ect ect?

Q_ball
16-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Tai, for someone that just "gave up" you sure do "care" a lot about the forum... esp in the site discussion forum.
Rather then reporting posts all the time, you couldve been the one to have done something about it on the spot - but ey, thats another discussion topic :)

I dont think moving a couple misallocated tech threads is a main priority on the moderating team's plate of "Things to do"

Spammers in the lounge (not the posters in the spam thread), but actual spammers take up a large portion of OH's moderating resources.

The amount of shit that needs to be cleaned up in the lounge forum is ridiculous.
Lounge threads do have rules!
Just because theyre in the lounge, doesnt mean that you can go off on a tangent and steer shit off topic.

If everyone would abide by the rule that they "only reply if they're interested or with something inciteful" to the topic, then we'd have a much more pleasant and mature presence about in the lounge.

Right now, the whole place feels as though its being over run by a bunch of 12 yr olds!

dc2dc2dc2
16-04-2008, 02:34 PM
But remember...
i was a n00bie who deserved to be in introductions section and thats it ;)
What do i know about technical sections to be moderating them at all

Look i admit to spamming, but i don't spam beyond belief in every thread.
Most of my stuff is done in the lounge i admit. But technical forums i never spam, i admit i don't like seeing people spam technical forums or when people post stupid things into technical forums.

Like i said...only answer is to tighten down on spammers and hand out infractions where needed :) Even i feel you guys are too light on spamming, always give out warnings never actually give anyone infractions. Warning after warning. HARDEN UP MODERATORS AND START BEING ABSOLUTE PRICKS !!! *i don't mean that in a bad way whatsover i support it 100%* :D:D:D

chunky
16-04-2008, 02:37 PM
theres no one that age here

just to clear things up in not an 'actuall spammer'
am i?

Q_ball
16-04-2008, 02:40 PM
You're kinda missing my point...
The point is... we have X amount of mods...and as most of you can see already, ALOT (in comparison to other forum sections) are already allocated to mod the lounge forum.

The problem lies within the lounge, and the vast amount of crap that gets posted every single day, in the majority of threads located in the lounge...
Let me remind you all on what this thread is about... " Request for serious discussion section".
There WOULDNT BE A NEED/REQUEST such as the one above if lounge threads were formalised a bit more and minus the amount of crap that surrounds the lounge.
People should reply only if they have something good to contribute, and stop thinking that they can go about swearing and being a complete imbosile in every single "off topic" thread.

If people stopped spamming so hard in the lounge, then us mods can allocate more time into the other parts of the forum.

dc2dc2dc2
16-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Lounge always had 2-3 mods minimum didn't they?
I think its lack of active moderators
i honestly only see 2-3 active mods.
The rest, should just quit if they are not gonna do anything.

SiReal
16-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Being a 'hard moderator' is not the answer. The answer in my opinion is

1. Education
2. Punishment

Isn't it more effective to be friendly and diplomatic in approach vs someone who is hard and bitter?

Sure hard and bitter migth get the job done but I PERSONALLY do not want that as an image of Ozhonda.

Just learn how to control the spam, learn how to NOT press post if that answer is not required.

Its not that hard.

claymore
16-04-2008, 04:09 PM
But remember...
i was a n00bie who deserved to be in introductions section and thats it ;)
What do i know about technical sections to be moderating them at all

Look i admit to spamming, but i don't spam beyond belief in every thread.
Most of my stuff is done in the lounge i admit. But technical forums i never spam, i admit i don't like seeing people spam technical forums or when people post stupid things into technical forums.

Like i said...only answer is to tighten down on spammers and hand out infractions where needed :) Even i feel you guys are too light on spamming, always give out warnings never actually give anyone infractions. Warning after warning. HARDEN UP MODERATORS AND START BEING ABSOLUTE PRICKS !!! *i don't mean that in a bad way whatsover i support it 100%* :D:D:D

You did spam a technical post LOL ;) the post about frequently used abbreviations. And when I banged you for it all you did was windge and snivel so I guess you are for Hard moderation for everybody else but you.:eek:

bennjamin
16-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Ok this has gone far enough...there will not be a "serious discussion" thread in the lounge or anywhere in Ozhonda.

Would it be possible to make a thread starter be able to moderate his or her threads, bar editing other peoples posts, But deleting crap ect ect?

No. Just pm a mod that is online.

As i said before

The lounge is for everyday discussion.
The technical forums are for car related discussion.
The site discussion is , for site discussion.
Thats as big as it gets

If you want to keep a serious thread , say it and let a mod know to keep it in control.

Guys and girls keep the bish to pm.

CLosed