PDA

View Full Version : Clutch operation/question/help

Adrian Euro
15-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi has anyone had experience with a clutch whos ride isn't as smooth. Affter 80k i change the original clutch becuase it starteing slipping. I then changed to an exhedy clutch which i feel is a very uncomfortable drive as its very rouch and jerky?????

Does anyone know if this is the clutch or the install??? I have a feeling it wasn't installed correctly as the drive is so uncomfortable.... I have put up with this for around a year now but i am totally sick of it...... Any help would be great... Thanks

Oh yeah my new mechanic says that the clutch that i have now is blown as its disengaging when its like 2mm from the ground....

EuroDude
15-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Aftermarket performance clutches are like that, they bite early and hard.

But generally, all new clutches need to be worn in, so it should smooth out after a few weeks of usage.

tron07
15-04-2008, 12:53 PM
heavy duty clutch is a bitch to drive....

aaronng
15-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Which clutch model did you get? Give it 1000km of city driving to wear in.

Adrian Euro
15-04-2008, 04:15 PM
heavy duty clutch is a bitch to drive....

Yeah so i can see. Is it advisory to go to an organic clutch or stick to the original honda to try and get the smooth drive. Thing is i drive around 500km per week of peak hour sydney driving.

Adrian Euro
15-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Which clutch model did you get? Give it 1000km of city driving to wear in.

I got an exhedy heavy dudty clutch....its had around 50000k. sorry when i mentioned earlier 80k iam too ussed to finance numbers i meant 80000km. I changed my original clutch at 80000km becuase it started slipping.

EuroDude
15-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Strange how it only lasted 80000km, did you ride the clutch alot? Are you the original owner?

I'm guessing the clutch was ridden alot due to the jerking when lifting off the accelerator in traffic in 1st gear

aaronng
15-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I got an exhedy heavy dudty clutch....its had around 50000k. sorry when i mentioned earlier 80k iam too ussed to finance numbers i meant 80000km. I changed my original clutch at 80000km becuase it started slipping.

The Exedy HD clutch is the same material as the OEM clutch, but with a heavier pressure plate.

Your original clutch should last over 80k. When you press and release the clutch, are you holding it in the middle for 0.5 seconds or so? Are you using the clutch to hold the car on the hill during hill start? Or do you use the handbrake? Do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal when driving around?

tony1234
15-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah so i can see. Is it advisory to go to an organic clutch or stick to the original honda to try and get the smooth drive. Thing is i drive around 500km per week of peak hour sydney driving.
I've heard the organic clutches drive the closest to stock with the benefits of a heavy duty clutch.

Adrian Euro
15-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Strange how it only lasted 80000km, did you ride the clutch alot? Are you the original owner?

I'm guessing the clutch was ridden alot due to the jerking when lifting off the accelerator in traffic in 1st gear

I am not going to lie and say i don't drive my car hard. I do drive my car hard but i am sure i don't ride the clutch. I do try and do quick changes if taking off quickly. and yes i was the origianl owner.

Adrian Euro
15-04-2008, 05:54 PM
The Exedy HD clutch is the same material as the OEM clutch, but with a heavier pressure plate.

Your original clutch should last over 80k. When you press and release the clutch, are you holding it in the middle for 0.5 seconds or so? Are you using the clutch to hold the car on the hill during hill start? Or do you use the handbrake? Do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal when driving around?

When you press and release the clutch, are you holding it in the middle for 0.5 seconds or so I dont think i do this

Are you using the clutch to hold the car on the hill during hill start? No just brake to hold then friction point to take off. No hand brake.

And no i am pretty sure i don't rest my foot on the clutch

aaronng
15-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Holding at the friction point on the hill for how long?

biee2
15-04-2008, 08:46 PM
what happends if the traffic is moving lika turtle and to move up you let go of the cltuch half way and rev a bit to move up slowly...is this bad? im pretty sure you cant let go of the clutch the whole way or else the car will jump because your goin so slow...beacause i do this alot in the city

sports06
15-04-2008, 09:13 PM
sorry, not trying to steal your thread... but in the last week or so ive notice in the last little bit before my clutch is all the way in, it feels like its grinding. anyone else experienced this? ive only done 20,000km though and dont drive hard and am fairly sure it aint worn, i know what they feel like...
any ideas?

cheers

aaronng
15-04-2008, 09:21 PM
what happends if the traffic is moving lika turtle and to move up you let go of the cltuch half way and rev a bit to move up slowly...is this bad? im pretty sure you cant let go of the clutch the whole way or else the car will jump because your goin so slow...beacause i do this alot in the city

If you are taking off from a standstill and have to slip the clutch to get moving up to 5km/h, then stop and repeat in a trafic jam, then it is not really avoidable. It is still not as bad as holding the car on a slope using the friction point.

tron07
16-04-2008, 10:59 AM

there is nothing wrong with clutch finishing around 80k km... some people with a lot of highway cruising will be able to make the clutch last till 120-150k km.... but for someone who drives a lot in city, traffic jams, stop and start where you free and engage gear a lot, the clutch will finish a lot faster.

tron07
16-04-2008, 11:02 AM

I will either shift up or free the gear and let it roll... holding the clutch halfway is riding the clutch and will make it go off fast... and it is also tiring, make your legs hurt....

(no wonder people complain that manual is a bitch to drive in jams) :p

Adrian Euro
16-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Holding at the friction point on the hill for how long?

Only when i am about to take off... other than that i am using the break pedal to hold me from rolling down....

phobolism
16-04-2008, 01:44 PM

well if its a flat road, you can release the clutch slowly at the friction point until the end and it wont jump and just move slowly so you wont need to use the throttle at all. if you are on a hill or an incline then yes you will need to use some throttle