PDA

View Full Version : HID blinding people, solutionn to problem??????

fitvpower
15-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey

i just got a pair of PROPER hid kit 8000k
my question is:
are these legal under QLD laws and my lights are H4 (stock) and H4 hid, but wtf, the hid are still blinding oncomming drivers, is there a way to fix this problem or do i have to buy the $300 projector kits which narrow the hid beam?

CB7_OWNER
15-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Yep..pretty sure the only way to get it legal is to get projectors.. and even then.. apparently you need some sort of auto adjusters.. that usually come with stock hid kits.. such as the Accord Euro...

IF you do get projectors, your HID's intensity will be directed better onto the road and has a clear cut off line, instead of spreading everywhere and blinding everyone.. which helps you too =D

I have PIAA JDM yellow ion h4 bulbs (arnt HID).. but bright as hell.. and i adjusted mine for good vision.. it is lower on the driver side.. so it doesnt blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.. BUT.. when im following some one.. it blinds the crap out of them in the rear view mirror ... at certain angles it also looks like i have my high beams on... =S

mrwillz
15-04-2008, 10:19 PM
try aim it down a bit

phwoaaa
15-04-2008, 10:27 PM
its not legal in melb.. but not sure in qld~~
mine are h4 8000ks as well , blinds the crap outta ppl.. i often get highbeamed by oncomming traffic now and then

[NAV]
15-04-2008, 10:29 PM
just adjust them loww! when i first installed them i got flashed by ppl 5 times in one night!.. adjusted them low and now no nobody cares :)

fitvpower
15-04-2008, 10:33 PM
cb7 said i need projectors,
so just adjust the knob for headlight adjsutment?
i think it's not too effective knowing the enormous honda jazz lights, big as ur head lol

[NAV]
15-04-2008, 10:36 PM
in the owners manual it will show you how to adjust them using a screw driver... park up next to a wall and adjust accordingly

fitvpower
15-04-2008, 10:38 PM
cheers, so this will aim the beam down, but would anybody care if the beam diverges to the side of my car

[NAV]
15-04-2008, 10:40 PM
nah they wont...:)

fitvpower
15-04-2008, 10:48 PM
yay, thnks NAV, is there a cut off distance which is specified, (ie lights must not exceed 20m or so infront of the vehicle) when adjusting the light dip

[NAV]
15-04-2008, 10:50 PM
lolz no probz mate.. to be honest i have noidea about wat lengths are legal n all that.. all i can say is dont worry about it too much.. just point them down a little bit lower and you'll be fine :)

phwoaaa
15-04-2008, 11:54 PM
i think its illegal all together to play with the adjustments .

but yea i adjusted mine a wwhile back ... it still blinds people though since no mater how u shine it they will still see it at certain angles! UNLESS u set it to the lowest which i did and i could barely see over 5m's far... all in all u adjust it to where YOU like the light to be as it is ur driving safety comes first before others right?

rather blind someone for abit then losing ur vision .

but anyways i still recommend u adjust it a tad lower just for the sake of it not being too high.. there is 2 little cogs with grooves behind each of ur lights 1 moves it up and down and the other is left and right. either park at a wall and set it .. or be like me and just go to a empty strip of road with no lights etc and set it , i did this because i wanted to see the distance of my lights when i was adjusting it

kyobi
15-04-2008, 11:58 PM
solution to problem: HID retrofit =D

freakygeek
16-04-2008, 09:09 AM
solution to problem: HID retrofit =D

The only solution to the problem. :thumbsup:

The other problem is 6000k+ kits, the light is useless for the driver and horrible for oncoming cars.

Yeah? How about ditching the shitty PnP HID kit then you wouldn't have to do either?

Feverpitched
16-04-2008, 10:00 AM

No, its not.

but yea i adjusted mine a wwhile back ... it still blinds people though since no mater how u shine it they will still see it at certain angles! UNLESS u set it to the lowest which i did and i could barely see over 5m's far... all in all u adjust it to where YOU like the light to be as it is ur driving safety comes first before others right?

Are you kidding me? You selfish little turd. If you can't aim them out of the way, remove them.

but anyways i still recommend u adjust it a tad lower just for the sake of it not being too high.. there is 2 little cogs with grooves behind each of ur lights 1 moves it up and down and the other is left and right. either park at a wall and set it .. or be like me and just go to a empty strip of road with no lights etc and set it , i did this because i wanted to see the distance of my lights when i was adjusting it

The generally adopted rule is that the brightest portion of your headlights shouldn't be higher than the centreline of the headlights when shone on a wall 8m away.

hondajazz2005
16-04-2008, 11:00 AM
im having a jazz as well and just got my HID installed last 2 weeks... i aim the headlight almost to the lowest for the first time, drive around after that and start higher it bit by bit, drive around... until you satisfied with the height and not blinding ppl. till now no one ever complaint... cause i didn't blind them.... cheers

im using a cheap china made HID 6000K.... will change it one day.....

mrwillz
16-04-2008, 11:03 AM

no its not.

i was a victim of hi beam everynight, especially heatherton rd.
i aimed alil down
and no probs

in ek headlights

hugohung23
16-04-2008, 11:59 AM
All this talk of adjusting the angle, is it possible for a dc5 also?
I dont like blinding on-coming traffic. especially trucks, they go crazy

freakygeek
16-04-2008, 12:18 PM
All this talk of adjusting the angle, is it possible for a dc5 also?
I dont like blinding on-coming traffic. especially trucks, they go crazy

Of course it is.

I don't know of any modern car that doesn't offer headlight adjustments!!!

vinnY
16-04-2008, 12:18 PM
i believe most if not all car's headlights can be adjusted(both tilt and pan)

and the only real solution as stated earlier is retrofitting projectors to your headlight housing and even then its not *really* legal as you need washers as well as some auto adjusting thing(i'm assuming tilt) anyway

EGB18CT
16-04-2008, 12:28 PM
ill give you guys some simple advice, take it either way you like:

1. If your not going to do a proper retro fit dont bother with the hids, your safety may be at risk and more importantly think of who you share the road with, even pointing the light down can flash people, imagine staring or getting flashed by a welding arc then seeing fuzzy/blind for a couple seconds? This can happen when going over bumps, hills etc very dangerous... Going up over 6000k lights is pointless and creates an illusion that you can see further because the area right infront of your car is well lit.

2. If your not going to do a proper retrofit and using lights over 6000k, you deserve to be defected and abused by others on the road... period.

hugohung23
16-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Whats this retrofit that everyone speaks off? I might consider this

mrwillz
16-04-2008, 01:08 PM
do a search buddy

freakygeek
16-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Whats this retrofit that everyone speaks off? I might consider this

The best site I have found for HID retrofit information is www.hidplanet.com forums.

sitta
16-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I got a cheap 6000k HID. they are blue but they are not that bright so that it blinds people

hugohung23
16-04-2008, 07:14 PM
The best site I have found for HID retrofit information is www.hidplanet.com forums.
Thanks mate ill have a read of that.

I also tried to adjust the angle, but failed miserably. the dc5 headlight is one unit?

AutoNoob
16-04-2008, 11:12 PM
got a quote for ek prefacelift projector headlights in dark chromey style, for a LOL 410 bucks installed...thats too much >___< but they look so kool.

maybe i can buy some cheap binoculars from 2 dollar store and fix the angle,

lenz
17-04-2008, 01:14 AM
i had 8000k before and now got 10000k and i think its auto adjust cause alot of cars aint high beaming me anymore and i got high beam hehehe even more birghter... i reccomand drive around with it first and see if people high beam you if they do just simple adjust them lower

vinnY
17-04-2008, 01:36 AM
all those cars aren't high beaming you anymore because they can't see your lights at all
it'd be a purple-ish light(think black light from gone in 60 seconds)

what you have to remember is the kelvin rating is colour temperature not light output
kidding yourself if you think the higher the kelvin rating, the brighter your lights will be
good luck driving in the wet at night, hope you're extra careful

Sp00ny
17-04-2008, 02:40 AM
I have just finished retrofitting my DC2, it only cost me about $500 including Projectors, New Lenses(optional), New HID Kit and relay wiring. The process does however take a fair bit of time, patience and your car is out of action for a while.

I used Lexus RX330 Projectors with 300ZX Lenses, cutoff is distinct and a nice blue/purple colour.... light intensity is fantastic and very wide beam pattern, better than the OEM STANLEY HID's found in the Accord Euro Lux, envious of the S2000 projectors though.

The Best part is NO GLARE at all! Just because "Plug & Play" kits are "3x more powerful" than a 55w halogen it probebly only gives you 10&#37;-20% more usable light the rest is shot off into the sky and incoming traffic. buying above 6000K is also very dangerous in wet weather, even 6000k doesnt light up the road as good as 4300K. Also the higher the Kalvin rating the less lumens, when you get up to about 15000K the light intensity is getting close to the same as the average 55W halogen bulb.

I know retrofitting can be both expensive and time consuming, but after doing several, everyone says its well worth the initial outlay.

Btw as said above even with projectors HID's are still not technically road worthy, they must have an AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System) aka "Auto Leveling" and some degree of cleaning mechanism (similar to windscreen jets).

I have got my own brand 4300K HID KIT and i can tell you a normal roadworthy person would not have a clue they are HID's. Not to mention they would pass a light dispersion test. They may notice the flash on startup though.

I can post pics if enough people want to see them, cbf getting them off my phone if there isnt, lol.

Also PLEASE NOTE, ALL AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHT PROJECTORS (ebay and elsewhere) are rubbish, their light output is worse than stock the same at the very best, thats one of the reasons I retrofitted! I speak from experience! XD

Kind Regards,
Andrew

Sydsyd
17-04-2008, 11:06 AM
i used to have HIDs with my angel eyes projectors for 3 years, haven't had any problems whatsoever with oncoming traffic or even cops...

the usual rule is to have the cutoff beam to be about 600mm from the ground and ur car parked about 5m from the wall...also u have to remember to set the right beam a bit lower than the left one so u don't blind oncoming traffic...

Sp00ny
17-04-2008, 03:30 PM
i used to have HIDs with my angel eyes projectors for 3 years, haven't had any problems whatsoever with oncoming traffic or even cops...

the usual rule is to have the cutoff beam to be about 600mm from the ground and ur car parked about 5m from the wall...also u have to remember to set the right beam a bit lower than the left one so u don't blind oncoming traffic...

If your beam pattern is as it should be the "Z-Pattern" cutoff or "butterfly" cutoffs should prevent traffic from being blinded when the lights are at the same level, also dont forget that if your only 5 meters away from the wall you are measuring very close to the wall and your aiming isnt going to be very accurate.

For example, a 5 degree differance will not be very noticable at 5m but will be very noticable at about 15m.

Regards,
Andrew

Bludger
17-04-2008, 04:10 PM
turn your lights off

biee2
17-04-2008, 10:19 PM
i installed HID into my mums car and yeah...just set them abit lower than usualli and you should be alright....never had any one hi-beam me b4. as for being legal or not.....i impretty sure its illegal to install them, but i dont think the cops are gonna pull you over if your car is pretty new.....may be if you had HID on a skyline they will...lol, happends to my friend all the time

kyobi
17-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Andrew.. please post your RX330-Z HID Retrofit pics!
Always love a good clean cut off ! :)

Sp00ny
17-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Will do tommorow night, will probebly post it up in the electrical section or such.

Cheers,
Andrew

Sp00ny
01-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Andrew.. please post your RX330-Z HID Retrofit pics!
Always love a good clean cut off ! :)

Done!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88696&highlight=retrofit

vinnY
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
just to add.. i found something at bunnings which fits over the projector to act as a shroud
on the receipt its listed as:
POPS-DOWNPIPE ROUND
1944Z - Z/A STD 75MM
about $1.80 each

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/3214/bunningsshroudze9.jpg

fitvpower
01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
just to add.. i found something at bunnings which fits over the projector to act as a shroud
on the receipt its listed as:
POPS-DOWNPIPE ROUND
1944Z - Z/A STD 75MM
about $1.80 each

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/3214/bunningsshroudze9.jpg

hey vinny, where did you find the lens from?

vinnY
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
got the lens from hidplanet :)

Bludger
02-07-2008, 02:36 AM
most ppl on this thread deserve neg rep, for giving the worst information ever

kongfu
02-07-2008, 03:36 AM
most ppl on this thread deserve neg rep, for giving the worst information ever

most of ppl were just giving thread starter some opinions. take or not its up to his decision.

No need to be pushy towards others. You can say you are the best but its not good to judge other ppl are stupid or give the worst info :(

if so, whats your best info?whats the best solution?

Bludger
02-07-2008, 03:38 AM
most of ppl were just giving thread starter some opinions. take or not its up to his decision.

No need to be pushy towards others. You can say you are the best but its not good to judge other ppl are stupid or give the worst info :(

if so, whats your best info?whats the best solution?i never said i was the best

you're assuming

when i'm not sure of something, i don't post

as to not give out wrong information

kongfu
02-07-2008, 03:39 AM
i never said i was the best

you're assuming

i learnt from you. not sure=dont post.

EuroDude
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
If you dont have projectors, forget about installing HID's.

Just buy some Philips CrystalVision or Bluevision Halogens lol

That is all.

aaronng
02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
i never said i was the best

you're assuming

Don't be so anal. This whole place is about opinions. Even for me, what makes people think that I give correct information? It is my opinion. Everyone else is free to try it. If it doesn't work, then it is up to you if you want to neg rep them. Don't need to flame others for no reason.

VTECMACHINE
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey

i just got a pair of PROPER hid kit 8000k

Proper HID's and 8000K should not exist in the same sentence!

aaronng
02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Proper HID's and 8000K should not exist in the same sentence!

To go further, any kit with "H" in the beginning is not proper. :)

fitvpower
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
If you dont have projectors, forget about installing HID's.

Just buy some Philips CrystalVision or Bluevision Halogens lol

That is all.

hey where can i get these????

fitvpower
02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
To go further, any kit with "H" in the beginning is not proper. :)

lol i mean proper hids as i got balasts and the 8000k bulbs, just to set me apart from the el-cheapo 'hid look' bulbs found at k mart which replace stock ones

Limbo
02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
repco or supercheap should have them

NeoNode
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
lol i mean proper hids as i got balasts and the 8000k bulbs, just to set me apart from the el-cheapo 'hid look' bulbs found at k mart which replace stock ones
You're only 3700k difference, auto leveling, washers and proper optics away from having proper HID's.

fitvpower
02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
You're only 3700k difference, auto leveling, washers and proper optics away from having proper HID's.

well technically, they're not proper,

kongfu
03-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Don't be so anal. This whole place is about opinions. Even for me, what makes people think that I give correct information? It is my opinion. Everyone else is free to try it. If it doesn't work, then it is up to you if you want to neg rep them. Don't need to flame others for no reason.

Exactly right! No need to flame others for no reason.

Lets make this forum better!:thumbsup:

VTECMACHINE
03-07-2008, 10:07 AM

HAHAHAH... Yeah get max 6000K.