PDA

View Full Version : ban image quoting

rice_civic
16-04-2008, 01:43 AM
does any1 else find it irritating when in picture threads there is images quoted time and time again. people dont like reposts but seem to not have a problem with the same picture being quoted several times within the one page.

rawr
16-04-2008, 01:48 AM
dial up user?

Doesnt really irritate me unless their only referring to one pic and they quote the whole damn thing

rice_civic
16-04-2008, 01:55 AM
nah not dial up. still a bit of a pain in the ass.

Mr_will
16-04-2008, 02:12 AM
i agree. its a fking pain in the ass.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
16-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Hasnt this been covered maybe a few months ago?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
16-04-2008, 03:33 AM
your mum was covered a few weeks ago

I know she is in your avatar as we speak :thumbsup:

rice_civic
16-04-2008, 02:01 PM
yeah it has. just searched it. it seems to be that people agree its a pain in the ass. this thread was more directed at the forum not showing pictures in quotes but the general idea is the same.

chunky
16-04-2008, 02:05 PM
it cant be that annoying
how many times is it quoted?

dc2dc2dc2
16-04-2008, 02:08 PM
several times chunky
i agree
quoting pics is a pain
we don't need to see the same pic
10 times in 1 page.
annoying.

Q_ball
16-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Rather than changing the whole forum quoting system for a few incompetents, it'd be a lot easier if the quoter takes the time to delete out what they dont need to be in their quote prior to posting.

EuroDude
16-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Agreed, its not fun when ppl quote a huge amount of text (quoting the text of the original poster in the next post for example) and quoting 6 large pictures when the original ones are only one or two posts behind.

Perhaps vBulletin can remove the [ IMG ] tags within the quoted text so the image is displayed as a link instead

rice_civic
16-04-2008, 02:38 PM
how does it reflect our competence if we dont like to see the same picture repeated? is it that hard to just tell people that they are not allowed to quote images? its amazing the amount of times there is a person quoting an image that was 2 posts above just to say "nice rims". it has been discussed in the pther thread that the forum cannot automatically remove the image tags. how about telling every1 that they are not allowed to quote images. its barely different to spam which isnt tollerated

EKVTIR-T
16-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Agreed.Very annoying.Yes if people would delete the pics when quoting it would help but they dont.
Dial up or not is not the issue,seeing the same 5 pics quoted over a few pages is,just to ask what rims or give props etc...

bennjamin
16-04-2008, 04:36 PM
we cant ban it. Its annoying i know (spending half the month capped lol)

but Moderators can be aware.

REPORT a post that has quoted pix and We can edit or remove them for everyones benefit.

panda[cRx]
16-04-2008, 05:18 PM
is there a way to just disable it?

some forums have it so when pics are quoted just the link shows. as stated above it gets very annoying the the pic threads

Riviera
16-04-2008, 08:48 PM
i dont mind it its fine keeps you up to date and lets you know youve missed
sumthing, if its an image that you havnt seen before, especially in the build
threads.

Maybe make a size limit?

Resolution?

make all images 800x600 - 200kb max? and if they want they can add a link to
the larger image in the bottom of thier post?

;1639956']is there a way to just disable it?

some forums have it so when pics are quoted just the link shows. as stated above it gets very annoying the the pic threads
thats a good one too having just the link shown

EuroDude
17-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Auto-thumbnails would be good, like what imageshack does where it shows a smaller version of the pic with the resolution in a black box at the bottom of the pic like this:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9044/lacuskira100pl3.th.jpg

Riviera
17-04-2008, 08:58 PM
yes that is a good one too, but photobuckets better :p

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-04-2008, 09:05 PM
As eurodude said thats a good idea

Lots of forums im on do this and it seems to work well :thumbsup:

EKVTIR-T
17-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Is auto thumbnailing able to be set through vbulletin?

krogoth
17-04-2008, 09:35 PM
we cant ban it. Its annoying i know (spending half the month capped lol)

but Moderators can be aware.

REPORT a post that has quoted pix and We can edit or remove them for everyones benefit.

y capped so much for ben?? lol

but on a serious note, its not quoting thats affecting your downloads, not adressing u ben, just in general

once downloaded, it goes into Temporary Internet Folder and thats it, no matter how many times its looked at after that, it just comes up straight away, on the same day at least, depending on ur settings..

but yeh it can be annoying wen som1 quotes an OP for a build thread with 50 pix just to say well done, i like ur work, lol

but meh, its very isolated i reckon, wenever it gets out of hand, just report

wynode
20-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Is auto thumbnailing able to be set through vbulletin?

Only for attachments. If it is a link from another site then it cannot be auto thumbnailed.

;1639956']is there a way to just disable it?

It is possible to disable images altogether but is this really necessary? From my understanding it is a minority of people quoting images.

Best is to educate these members so that they don't do it again.

EuroDude
21-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Its a car forum so we need images :p

Surely there's a way to simply remove the IMG tags from a quote?
Or replace the IMG text with URL?

If a person wants to view the quoted image, all they need to do is click on the link.

aaronng
21-04-2008, 10:52 AM
The person who is doing the quoting, just remove the "/" from the 2nd [/img] tag and all you get is a link. It takes 3 seconds, much better alternative that altering vBulletin for someone's lazyness.

AsH_
21-04-2008, 04:43 PM
i think leave it the way it is. too much trouble.
just scroll down.

it mainly only happens in the pic thread.

dont fix things if they arent broken.

and you cant please everyone.

wynode
21-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Agreed.

We just need to educate people. Just remove the pic.....when you quote an image you can always click the little arrow icon which takes you back to the quoted post.

Zdster
02-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Want to raise this again. It is very frustraiting in picture threads. I have almost come to the point that I dont look at any of the appearance threads anymore. The best example is the "clean eks" thread. Half of the pictures are people quoting someone else. I mean I can handle reposts, but quoting all of the pictures when you can refer to one for the same effect . . . .

rawr
02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Education isn't working, they bring up the whole 'its not wasting bandwith'.... dont think we should ban it, mods should step in..

panda[cRx]
03-11-2008, 08:15 AM
it's not wasting bandwidth but it's annoying as hell.

vote +1 for removing image quotes

dsp26
03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
^^^ditto.

The person who is doing the quoting, just remove the "/" from the 2nd [/img] tag and all you get is a link. It takes 3 seconds, much better alternative that altering vBulletin for someone's lazyness.

but Wynode/aaronng.. are you able to change the message/postbox back to the old way? because when you quote now the actual image comes up and the majority of us that do/did the right thing can't remove the IMG tags anymore

the way it is now will just make it worse in the future

sassy_fit_vtit
03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
i dont like pic quoting as well, its just as easy to link the post count

GreekWarrior
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
can't you just do something that will just show the url of the image when you quote it?

chunky
03-11-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah remove the [img] tag at the beggining and end of the link

GreekWarrior
03-11-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah but something to do it automatically, to turn it from the [img] to the [url] tag

dsp26
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
ok maybe mines the only one setup like this but um have either of you 2 (chunky/greekwarrior) tried to edit one of your posts with pics or quote a post with pic?

the IMG /IMG doesn't show up in the message box anymore.. once a post has been posted then it stays as an image even if you edit the post...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/test_post.jpg

GreekWarrior
03-11-2008, 09:53 PM
isn't that html mode or something

Chi
03-11-2008, 09:57 PM
see the small A big A icon in the top right corner.

Click that.

dsp26
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM
isn't that html mode or something

see the small A big A icon in the top right corner.

Click that.
lol thanks.. i'm n00b... explains why everyone was ignoring me lol... i'll waddle on out of this thread now...:p