PDA

View Full Version : Ignition barrell playing up. Help!

jwai
16-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey Guys,

I've had this problem for a while now and havn't really had the time to look into the issue due to work committments so im hoping you guys can shed some light. I've drawn the diagram below to help guide me through my explanation as im not to flash on terminology.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/crazybear2287/untitled-1.jpg

Basically, we all know that to start the engine, we need to crank it to the iii position and then release the key once it turns over. For any working car, the key will return to the ii position. Here is my issue. When i crank my car and let go, the key will not return all the way back to the ii position (the red bit in the diagram is where my key will stop). Because of this, the car will not stay on and therefor, causes alot of excessive and un necessary cranking, and also alot of embarasment. To turn my car on, i need to physically pull the key back to the ii position which is sometimes difficult to get it spot on.

I have called honda and quoted for a new ignition barell set and have got a reply for $460. I thought that if maybe there was some other fix to this, then why waste so much money.

Sorry about the long explanation, just hoping you would all get what im blabbing about.

Thanx in advance.

connections
16-04-2008, 02:01 PM
have you looked how your wheels are aligned??

if their not straight it might be because their on a angle, I found that when my wheels are on a angle I had this problem as well but when their straight no problem.

jwai
16-04-2008, 10:27 PM
are you talking about the steering lock? its definately not that!

lenz
17-04-2008, 01:24 AM
try taking all the panel under ur steering wheel out and look behind where the barried is there should be 2 scews holding the ignition( white circle wit wires comming out of it)... see if they are loose is they are tighten it