PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion Looks First Or Engine?

iwantvtec
16-04-2008, 04:58 PM
well atm my eg's paint is not the best condition atm, i've got bout 3 grand to spend i was thinking of either getting my car resprayed, ricing it up putting some rims on it n some nice coilies or to get my engine (b16a) first? in the end of the day i love my car. and i am planning to never sell it, what would you guys do.?

Ero_Sennin
16-04-2008, 05:01 PM
lol thought you were selling it lol
anyway. its up to you what you wanna do
but if it was me to help you out, say engine, since its a gli
but i know this guy, who built his gli just in looks only, dunno if he stuck a vtec engine in it
i shoulda asked him but he was working at the time

tiksie
16-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Depends what you want, all show, no go ? or all go, no show.

Personally, I would drop a b16 in there.

mrwillz
16-04-2008, 05:18 PM
b16 fTW

panda[cRx]
16-04-2008, 05:18 PM
h22a ftw

V73C
16-04-2008, 05:19 PM
id drop the engine in it, you'll love the car FAR more than a respray.

v__
16-04-2008, 05:44 PM
yea i wud do engine aswell. just roll on shit paint and steelies. all good man.
like mine i already had good paint but shit engine. all i did was cheap wheels front lip rear lip and ek side skirts. is enough for me. now just a spoon wing. and engine will be in shortly. 2 weeks. =))) so happy.lol

rawr
16-04-2008, 05:47 PM
3k aint enough for a b16a unless your doing all the work urself and then even so it'd be a tight budget.

But go the engine :)

Drop it on some cheap king superlows which are around 400 installed and it'd be all sweet

tron07
16-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I will go for the quality of the ride first.... drive good, handle good, stop nicely, dont break down, etc

aznpsuazn
16-04-2008, 06:00 PM
for a 20minute ride, you get to see the paint for about 30 seconds getting in and out of the car. For the other 19.5 minutes you'll be experiencing the ride.

iwantvtec
16-04-2008, 06:12 PM
3k aint enough for a b16a unless your doing all the work urself and then even so it'd be a tight budget.

But go the engine

Drop it on some cheap king superlows which are around 400 installed and it'd be all sweet

yer 3 k isn't enough for b16a, but i only need bout 500 bux more den im set, dats not including stuff like fly wheel, brake upgrate etc.

for a 20minute ride, you get to see the paint for about 30 seconds getting in and out of the car. For the other 19.5 minutes you'll be experiencing the ride.

feeekkkk thats pretty wise stuff mate. thanks for the thumbs up. BTW i heard from my mate who owns a evo, by the time u set full on set up your car, you'll be going through paint jobs every 2-3 years any way. TRUE or just plain bull$hit

aznpsuazn
16-04-2008, 06:47 PM
What the hell? Paint should last 5 years + in good nik if it's garaged, washed, waxed, and generally treated with care. The end

rawr
16-04-2008, 07:54 PM
iwantvtec: is 3.5k including installation?

You also need a brake up grade + exhaust.. and maybe intake and headers

I think minimum for a perfect install with everything included and someone else doing the work is around 5-6k...

4k by yourself

Sir_vtec
16-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Handling comes first. get swaybars and coilovers.

iwantvtec
17-04-2008, 12:52 AM
3.5 is including installation i got a quote from andy from akmotorworks. ANd im pretty sure his work is close to perfect, but the damn point its pretty clean.

aramiK
17-04-2008, 01:00 AM
engine - generally when I buy a car though.. I look for immaculate body and interior as the engine is the first thing I'd work on and will most likely change. Paint is no biggie as long as it doesn't look like its pealing or rusted.

iwantvtec
17-04-2008, 09:52 AM
it doesn't look like its peeling it jus looks like theirs a shit load of over spray with the clear coat.

hooyn
17-04-2008, 10:15 AM
i wouldnt bother with the paint yet. first thing i did when i got mine was just intake, for some noise :D. then sway bars and coils.

im glad i chose to go handling before i spend on engine.

Bludger
17-04-2008, 11:19 AM
have you done handling mods yet???

i would do this b4 engine.....

looks last imo

rayb3na_
17-04-2008, 11:31 AM
handling first.. make sure you got the correct setup before u juice up the power.

Sydsyd
17-04-2008, 11:42 AM
handling 1st, then engine, then looks for me...

u'll get stone chips or scratches from everyday driving or fitting ur mods...as for general paint maintenance, a good wash, polish and wax should do the trick...i've had my fair share of parking outdoors for a full year, and still have a fairly good nick of paint;)

TheSaint
17-04-2008, 01:48 PM
handling 1st, then engine, then looks for me...

u'll get stone chips or scratches from everyday driving or fitting ur mods...as for general paint maintenance, a good wash, polish and wax should do the trick...i've had my fair share of parking outdoors for a full year, and still have a fairly good nick of paint;)

i agree with this, a car that only looks good is pointless if you ask me, considering that a car is designed for driving - not to be a lounge room or jewelry cabinet lol

im very biast when it comes to performance vs bling, u get some nice honda oem (type r) gear fitted and it will look good anyway, but u can do that at the end, like the icing on the cake, save ur money and get the engine, sussy + I/H/E than put some lips etc on it =)

ur going to be changing a fair bit anyway with performance and any nice stuff u put on it will juss get broken and dirty lol

ricki_kalsi
17-04-2008, 01:48 PM
If your never going to sell it... you will be earning more money in no time - Assuming you are a student or something - you will have a good job and will be able to afford other stuff in a while.

I'd personally do the engine. Don't rush it though, especially if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, rather do it properly first time around.

dc2dc2dc2
17-04-2008, 01:51 PM
b16a will definetly not satisfy you if you are keeping this car 'forever' as you say. I'd say think more long term and as ricki said you will earn more money sooner or later and afford better stuff. Do alot of planning before dumping in an engine and if its really for you :)

iwantvtec
17-04-2008, 03:45 PM
yer thats what i was thinking. Im doing a electrotechnology pre apprenticeship atm and from what i know full qualified or even 3rd year sparky apprenticeships get alot of mullah....and when i say forever. It was more like till im 25 or something considering im only 18 still =]. Well atm i've only got a strut bar for handling. I think i can afford a nice pair of coilies. with the money i got atm. Any recommendations?

ricki_kalsi
17-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd work on suspension as much as possible.
Leave the engine and respray until when you qualify and are making the mullah.

Then you can go NUTSSSS!!! You have yourself a K20, or a JUN B18 or something :)

But yeah, from what I have learnt from 2 years of playing with my DC2R... do it right first time, and make sure you PLAN!

iwantvtec
17-04-2008, 03:55 PM
yer i like the IDEA of the k20 muahahahaha, i just fantisize and drool about it lol. But yer i think i was more enthusiastic to get the b16a for the wank factor or saying "vtec yo" finally lol. but yer what sussy do you rekon i should go for about 2.5 to spend?

mars_panas
17-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Sleeper!

defect
17-04-2008, 03:58 PM
ctr sway bars
asr brace

and some coilovers.

Bludger
17-04-2008, 03:59 PM
you can buy my suspension

pm me

ricki_kalsi
17-04-2008, 04:09 PM
yer i like the IDEA of the k20 muahahahaha, i just fantisize and drool about it lol. But yer i think i was more enthusiastic to get the b16a for the wank factor or saying "vtec yo" finally lol. but yer what sussy do you rekon i should go for about 2.5 to spend?

But then you run around say i-VTEC, u-VTEC... we-all-VTEC!

Ummm... dpends what you want the car for man?

Are you going to track in occasionally, alot, or not at all. You can't just throw money at the car and expect it all to work, theres a few factors you need to consider in the choices of modifcations.

iwantvtec
17-04-2008, 04:12 PM
i yer wanna eventually wanna do some circuit racing...

rpm boy
17-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Get the engine bay sprayed b4 u put the engine in, if your even thinging about looks then your going to end up doing something with the looks of it later on when u get the money for it so id go the b16 but get the engine bay resprayed first, but if you only have 2500 to play with drop it and put rims on it so its more appealing to u, then youll want to save up faster to drop a b16 in it... put a pod on as well so it sounds like a vtec =P

iwantvtec
17-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I prob go the ASR brace and 22 mm ITR sway bar set up first then some nice coilies, and buckle down n save up for that engine. How much do you rekon the brace n the sway bar will cost?

zpreme
17-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Go B18C at least imho. You'd appreciate it more...

diffuzn
17-04-2008, 05:12 PM
hey man, if you're planning to keep the car forever i'd prob sway away from the b16, currently i have a b16 in my vtir, but i can't see me keeping it forever simply because at the end of the day its still only a 1.6... NOt that i'm saying theres anything wrong with it, its a great engine, i'm simply saying if you're planning to keep the car for ages, invest in a bigger engine, maybe b18?

IMO since you're going for long term car upgrade for handling first, then go for ur respray and then save up for ur engine. Because your engine will cost the most if we're talking about bulk payments

ricki_kalsi
18-04-2008, 12:35 AM
if you only have 2500 to play with drop it and put rims on it so its more appealing to u, then youll want to save up faster to drop a b16 in it... put a pod on as well so it sounds like a vtec =P

Sooo... for $2500 he's going to get a good set of racing coilover to drop it, some good quality / light racing wheels, and a pod...

RtN
18-04-2008, 12:40 AM
for a bit more... maybe you can boost? I dunno LOL

Bludger
18-04-2008, 12:52 AM
dude, you can buy my coilovers for cheap and your car will be on rails

you'll hgave a lot left over for other mods from 2500

don't buy brand new now, you won't be able to get as much....

iwantvtec
18-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh yer wheres a good place to get sussy installed for cheap in melb? i was thinking mod project or motor ware?

Stcmon
18-04-2008, 12:08 PM
put the engine in and cut ur springs LOL
drop it like its hot!!!

ps. dont cut ur springs.

rpm boy
18-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Sooo... for $2500 he's going to get a good set of racing coilover to drop it, some good quality / light racing wheels, and a pod...

on this site theres barely used tein coilovers going for $1000, a pod isnt going to cost more then $100 and that leaves you $1400 to play with for rims which is more than enough

iwantvtec
18-04-2008, 04:01 PM
for a bit more... maybe you can boost? I dunno LOL D-series turbo?

LOL not my forte. I think ill stay N/A

AutoNoob
20-04-2008, 12:55 AM
i recon looks!!
go engine if you know how to DIY or else its gonna cost u a fortune.