PDA

View Full Version : Help!

victor_0012001
16-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi guys,
Just found out there is a scratch on my euro's engine hood. It looks exactly like someone used metal or key on purpose. Is it easy to fix by myself? or it has to be done by professionals. Is it expensive? mine is metallic paint. Thx guys....so depressed...

yfin
16-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Take a good photo of it close up for us - if it is deep you can't fix that yourself -it would need a respray.

Crapdaz
17-04-2008, 07:30 AM
sorry to hijack
but how much approximately for a hood respray?

aaronng
17-04-2008, 07:34 AM
If the scratch is small and deep, I would use touchup paint. If it was a big scratch, then respray.

dwn_boi
17-04-2008, 08:24 AM
lmfao i can't help but mention when this happened to my ex, (he also had a key scratch on his hood) he got a black texter and coloured it in lmfao!!

only thing that you could tell was black texta has a purple tinge to it so lol in the sun you can see :P

(i might also add that he is a spray painter lmfao!!)

aaronng
17-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd prefer touch up paint over a texter because it will still rust if the key mark has penetrated the primer.

dwn_boi
17-04-2008, 10:37 AM
lol i wouldnt recomend a texter either. could you touch it up then go over it with a good polisher to blend in a bit where the scratch is?

BusterSonic12
17-04-2008, 09:41 PM
i say it's a good reason for your for a carbon bonnet =)

meg's scratchx might do the trick if it isn't deep

dwn_boi
18-04-2008, 08:53 AM
There's no way I'd attempt to to cover a key scratch with touch-up paint. Unless you have an incredibly fine instrument and steady hand it will look much worse than the scratch. I'd recommend getting a professional to advise you if you're unsure.

Edit: I take back what I said about using touch-up paint. Have a look at what can be achieved if you know what you're doing: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49370

Incredible!

use a toothpick :D

tony1234
18-04-2008, 09:36 AM
We just had a key scratch polished out on our new Euro's doors. The scratch didn't penetrate the top clear-coat, so was able to be polished out. If yours is down to the primer a respray is the only remedy.

There's no way I'd attempt to to cover a key scratch with touch-up paint. Unless you have an incredibly fine instrument and steady hand it will look much worse than the scratch. I'd recommend getting a professional to advise you if you're unsure.

Edit: I take back what I said about using touch-up paint. Have a look at what can be achieved if you know what you're doing: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49370

Incredible!
That's unbelievable!!

18-04-2008, 12:39 PM
thats tops, euro paint is quite thin i believ so its not hard to scratch right through. i stop using texters on scratches when my car cost more then 10k lol. i would try polish etc, and if it dont work then repsray, all depends on how deep the scratch is

victor_0012001
18-04-2008, 01:11 PM
the scratch is not too deep (I believe..) ,so I'd rather try to fix it by less expensive way at first ( since my financial is tight..)

there is a guy from Autoborn reply the following:
(The easiest way to fix it would be for us to mix the paint for you which would cost about $13 for 100mil.

You can then touch it up with a small brush then use a cut and polish to blend it in it would still be noticeable

But its better than paying hundreds to get it fixed properly.

Come in and see me and ill show you what u need to do.)

Can I try his way first?

martizzle
18-04-2008, 01:32 PM
i got the same problem, has anyone used the honda oem touch up paint before, is it like that link to the alfa ( thick ).

tron07
18-04-2008, 01:46 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z79/LouisMuijs/147/DSC_0342.jpg

alfa marker for alfa cars... if honda got the same then it would be great....

But after using those Meg Unigrit 2500, etc... the clear coat would have been thinned or removed... then the paint would fade or lost the shine after a while.