PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads Modification

Omotesando
16-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I've already gone through all the replacement Brake Pad threads using the search button.

It seems though as if there hasn't been too many finalised reviews on various brake pads which are actually economical, such as the Axiis Ultimate? I'm trying to work out a cheap but 'safer' upgrade for my MY 05 Euro's front brake pads since it needs a replacement now. Yet I might be selling the car within a few months so don't want to fork out too much.

Also, a few people have mentioned that some pads needed slight modification or grinding to fit, so I'm a bit worried about that as I don't have time to mod my car these days like the good old days and I'm not sure I could trust the mechanic with something that doesn't slot right in! :p

So is there any verdict on what is the best bang for your buck, spirited street use occasionally, front pad upgrades, that are available locally, doesn't break the wallet and doesn't need modification to fit? Or should I just go to Racebrakes and let them handle it for me (presuming they have pads to fit me?) :D

tony1234
17-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Endless are good.VN9500 i think is the part no.One of the traders here(MAX-HONDAPOWER) has them for Euros.

aaronng
17-04-2008, 05:42 PM
For cheap, Bendix Premiums.

Riviera
17-04-2008, 05:49 PM
yea bendix are cheap and decent

i personally have Bendix CT's the ones u dun have to bed in

they were $70

Merlin086
17-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Endless are good.VN9500 i think is the part no.One of the traders here(MAX-HONDAPOWER) has them for Euros.

Just paid $190 for my Endless SSS front pads from MAX delivered.

Great pad, bit dustier than stock, stops on a dime now...:thumbsup:

..and less pulsation.

yfin
17-04-2008, 07:14 PM
note that axxis ultimates are made by bendix

EG30
17-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Lucas TWR pads, $60-70.

good intial bite, and consistent up to about 380C-400C ( rotor temp ), by then your rotors would be glowing orange at night.

the bendix ultimate ( prob $100-120 when not on special ) has a higher friction coefficent, a lot more aggressive intial bite which you may like or dislike, consistent pedal feel up to about 480C and fades off more gradually than the Lucas.

the Lucas is European OE grade, and the ultimate is couple of notches up in performance.

I have Lucas on my ED crx and EGSi, and Ultimate on the dc2r. Horses for courses I'm very satisfied with both of them.

aaronng
17-04-2008, 11:37 PM
If Lucas TWR is the same grade as the OEM used on the Holden Astra, then those pads love to eat rotors. It had a 1mm lip when the pads had to be replaced.

Omotesando
18-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys.

I contacted Race Brakes and they dont actually carry anything other than Endless pads for the Euro Accord, in case anyone was enquiring.

YFIN I heard you used the Axiis Ultimates before but thought they only made them for the TSX for some reason? So arent really available locally.

It seems like Bendix CT, Premium or Ultimate are the choices here for bang for your buck. I dont think I'll really pay for Endless pads I know they're great having used them before in other cars, but a bit expensive for a car I hardly drive fast anymore! The traffic in Melbourne is terrible.

Cheers :)

yfin
18-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Omo - i never fit mine as I was selling the car - sold them to a member here. You can buy the Axxis Ultimates on ebay from the USA. Very reasonable price.

I actually called Bendix about my Axxis Ultimates to enquire whether I could purchase another set locally. The box I had even had an Australian address on them. They refused to sell them to me even though I had the part number and all. Export product only.

JasonGilholme
18-04-2008, 09:21 PM
If Lucas TWR is the same grade as the OEM used on the Holden Astra, then those pads love to eat rotors. It had a 1mm lip when the pads had to be replaced.

astra's barinas and the other euro holdens all run a softer disc and tend to get lips on their discs quite quickly no matter what pad is used.

VT1-R
18-04-2008, 09:22 PM
endless are the best bling n quality for pads..I got the base model, SSY i tink.. 0-400 degrees.. Gd for street performance, slows the car down when required..

aaronng
18-04-2008, 10:42 PM
astra's barinas and the other euro holdens all run a softer disc and tend to get lips on their discs quite quickly no matter what pad is used.

Not true. I have replaced the Lucas pads with Ferodo XL, and they have not caused any lipping on the new discs (which are also Holden OEM discs from the dealer)

JasonGilholme
18-04-2008, 10:52 PM
thats interesting, cause i changed my pads to a different compound and the lipping continued to happen.

Maybe they're delivered with different discs to what they have as a replacement then? cause i still have the original discs as with the first pads.

aaronng
18-04-2008, 11:15 PM
thats interesting, cause i changed my pads to a different compound and the lipping continued to happen.

Maybe they're delivered with different discs to what they have as a replacement then? cause i still have the original discs as with the first pads.

The discs in the Astra might come from Europe because they don't share it with the locally produced Holdens. Which pad did you change to? I found the Lucas pads to have a VERY VERY good initial bite. I guess that was why the rotors wore down so quickly, they were a very abrasive pad.

quang
25-04-2008, 08:41 PM
i been researching a brand called QFM aussie made. looks like alot of other forums like them and a mate of mine is very happy with them. The HPX series is on par with ultimates and a little less than green stuff. less dust, long lasting, nicer to the rotors and only $75ish for front or rears. i'm picking up a set soon.

aaronng
25-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Green stuff are shit....... very dusty, eats the rotors and eventually becomes noisy. I guess most cheap pads with high friction coeffiecients rely on abrasion alone. The more expensive pads like DS2500 uses both abrasion and adhesion.

RtN
31-08-2008, 11:28 AM
So anyone compared the 3 Bendix types? CT, Premium, and ultimate?