PDA

View Full Version : Are these coilovers?

revslide
16-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know if these are adjustable coilovers or just normal shocks and springs? It came with the car i bought and was at stock height. The funny thing is that the mechanic who removed it told me they were stock suspension for EG which i doubt so.

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0473/coilovers.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0473/coilovers.jpg)

STTICH
16-04-2008, 09:26 PM
normal shocks and springs.

and they do look like stock suspension.

if ur car was lowered wth these on, the springs might have been compressed.

evolution
16-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Looks stock... shockies have no adjustment rings to adjust height, no knobs to adjust dampening. Don't know about the springs.... I usually assume after market springs are usually some other colour other than black

d15z1SUX
16-04-2008, 09:55 PM
look like the stock shocks sitting in my store room.

teh_mechanic
16-04-2008, 09:57 PM
they are coilovers.but they are not aftermarket coilovers like the ones you are refering to as a 'coilover'.....for instance,all eg civics came out with stock coilover suspension,whereas toyota camrys come out with macpherson stut suspension....coilover is a design,but people have dubbed the name onto aftermarket coilovers.

the ones in the pic have no adjustability whatsoever and look like the stock oem eg products.they are a seperate shock and spring coilover,you can change the shock or spring to get different levels and different heights.unlike aftermarket adjustable coilovers where you can adjust the collar for height or knobs on top for rebound and dampening

revslide
17-04-2008, 01:18 AM
they are coilovers.but they are not aftermarket coilovers like the ones you are refering to as a 'coilover'.....for instance,all eg civics came out with stock coilover suspension,whereas toyota camrys come out with macpherson stut suspension....coilover is a design,but people have dubbed the name onto aftermarket coilovers.

the ones in the pic have no adjustability whatsoever and look like the stock oem eg products.they are a seperate shock and spring coilover,you can change the shock or spring to get different levels and different heights.unlike aftermarket adjustable coilovers where you can adjust the collar for height or knobs on top for rebound and dampening

That's interesting. I'm just puzzled cos they looked like coilovers. Thanks for the helpful info!

teh_mechanic
20-04-2008, 02:07 PM
That's interesting. I'm just puzzled cos they looked like coilovers. Thanks for the helpful info!

they are coilovers.stock eg civic coilovers,come on the car straight from the factory.like i explained above,its the stock suspension,and the term used for that style of suspension is coilover.they are not in any way a 'performance' coilover or anything,

Uzzi
20-04-2008, 04:37 PM
coilovers but not adjustable coilovers

mrwillz
20-04-2008, 04:48 PM
and i thought coilovers=adjustability

trism
20-04-2008, 05:33 PM
no. coilovers. think about it. coil=spring, over=over.

short for coil over shock

where the spring is wrapped around the shock absorber

adjustable aftermarket coilover=adjustability

Uzzi
20-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Coilovers just mean that the spring coils and the damper is a single unit. It does not refer to the 'type' of suspension a car has. You can have a car that has Mcphearson strut type suspension with coilovers for control. You can also have double wishbone type suspension with coilovers for control.

JohnL
21-04-2008, 12:04 AM
like i explained above,its the stock suspension,and the term used for that style of suspension is coilover.they are not in any way a 'performance' coilover or anything,

I suspect this is a point that some people may never be willing to understand, just as some might never be willing to be persuaded that what they think of as a 'coil-over' isn't in some inherantly magical manner superior to what they think of as a 'shock and spring'...

Drew
21-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Does anyone know if these are adjustable coilovers or just normal shocks and springs? It came with the car i bought and was at stock height. The funny thing is that the mechanic who removed it told me they were stock suspension for EG which i doubt so.

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0473/coilovers.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0473/coilovers.jpg)

Fully sick bro these are special one offs from Showa Japan... They look stock so that the cops don't defect you