PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Prelude Purchase

hijinx
07-09-2004, 05:24 PM
hey guys,

im looking at a 94 vtir prelude tomorrow and im just wondering if there is any model specific things i should check for?
is there anything that usually fails or breakes?

also the guy referred to it as a 2.3 litre and it does not have a sunroof. but i think he is a little confused about the engine size. not sure about the sunroof though? what can i check to i.d. it as a vtir, both interior and exterior wise?
the vtir is the only one to have tweeters around the door handle, correct?
anything else?

thank you

Javed
07-09-2004, 06:18 PM
vtir is a dohc vtec whereas the si is not. Well thats what I always thought... coreect me if im wrongm somebody.

[Blitz]
07-09-2004, 07:33 PM
The only way it's 2.3 VTEC, is if that guy dropped the blue top H23 VTEC into it. Or pieced together a frankenstein 2.3 VTEC.

Look at the motor and if it says VTEC on it then it's obviously VTEC, also look at the engine no. should be H22---. If it's 2.3L then it'll say H23---

Tweeters are built into the dash at either end, if they're next to the door handle, they're aftermarket.

hijinx
07-09-2004, 08:31 PM
ok, so where is the engine number located on the block?
and what is a complete example of one? is it H22--- then 3 letters or 3 numbers?

also what is the exterior changes that only a vtir would have and not an dealer optioned up s/si would have?

bigteethygrin
07-09-2004, 08:40 PM
vtir is a 2.2l dude.. no exceptions.. 2.3l vtec almost certainly is a hybrid engine that is build from the H23 non vtec block. To quickly check without looking at all the numbers is to just check for ABS under the bonnet. S and Si 4th gens didnt come with ABS.. i dont think it was an option. Either way Si or vtir you will be happy.. they are great cars.. and a good platform to work on. Good luck with ya purchase.. dont rush anything if its dodgey then walk away.. another lude will turn up for sure!

FR33K
07-09-2004, 08:46 PM
and it does not have a sunroof.

all vtirs have sunroofs ???
a vtir also has clear front bumper indicators as opposed to orange..
do u know wat colour the car is ???
vtirs didnt come in white or silver or midnight blue (correct me if im wrong)
umm guess u could also look for the vtir sticker on the back :P

theyre just some things you could look for on first look

hijinx
07-09-2004, 08:52 PM
how do i check for abs under the bonnet? what does it look like?

the front bumper indicators, are they clear with a visible orange globe?
the car is red.
there is only a prelude sticker on the back, and it doesnt have a sunroof.

thanks

FR33K
07-09-2004, 08:57 PM
vtirs didnt come in red
thats definately an S or an Si
:)

bigteethygrin
07-09-2004, 09:23 PM
vtirs came in burgandy.. and there are red 4th gens so i dont know why there wouldnt be a red vtir.. anyways.. abs is in the center at the back of the engine bay.. i fyou cant see it then it aint there..

FR33K
07-09-2004, 09:27 PM
im 99% sure that vtirs did not come in red....
they came in that burgandy/maroon colour
and that gun metal (dark) grey colour.. dont know the right name for it

Insane_B18
07-09-2004, 09:31 PM
check the gauge cluster...if its a vtir it should redline at 7.5k...not sure about s or si though

FR33K
07-09-2004, 09:34 PM
one other thing... vtirs should come with a rear spoiler standard (unless taken off)
(correct me if im wrong people)

FR33K
07-09-2004, 09:51 PM
hey buddy this would surely answer ur question
Engine Size VTIR 2157cc (2.2L) Si 2258cc (2.3L)
therefore its an Si

http://www.redbook.com.au/VehicleSearch/CompSpecs.asp?firstkey=HOND94CV&key=HOND94CD&veh=y

hijinx
08-09-2004, 04:05 PM
im just saying that the guy told me it is a 2.3l, but im pretty sure its a 2.2l

is it possible that it could be an import?

[Blitz]
08-09-2004, 04:42 PM
No sunroof, a rear wiper and a H22 leads me to believe it's an import

hijinx
08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
bingo!

i just had a look at it and it is imported.
couldn't find the anything with abs on it? did imports have abs?

the weird thing is that i noticed a factory looking sticker on the passengers door reading "Si VTEC".
but everything else looks vtir, 75k redline, spoiler.
i thought that it could be a si with a h22a?
what do you guys think?

bigteethygrin
08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
o0o0o0oh nice jdm import!!

hijinx
08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
ahh,
just found out the the si vtec is the jdm top spec car.
i dont know if it is 2ws or 4ws and i didnt even think to look...

when should the vtec kick in?

Insane_B18
08-09-2004, 10:57 PM
vtec should kick in about 5K rpm...

cynider
09-09-2004, 01:09 PM
JDM alright. 1pc headlights and looks like its got the foggies. The seller might be confused cause the model is "Si VTEC"

hijinx
09-09-2004, 03:57 PM
yeah thats what i thought.

now have to find out if its a 4ws or 2ws. is there much differance between them apart from the obvious? does one handle better? i can only think that the 2ws may be better in that lesser components to go wrong?

also have to find out if it has tcs or lsd. is there anyway to find out? was the tcs able to be switched on/off? how do i find out if it has lsd?

what do you think the car is worth? more then the adm vtir?

thanks

cynider
09-09-2004, 04:10 PM
4ws: turn the wheel full lock and see if the rears turn too (also check if the 4ws light is in the dash)

LSD: check the tranny code if its "M2B4" your laughing :thumbsup:

hijinx
09-09-2004, 04:12 PM
but what is the positive and negatives of the 4ws vs. 2ws?

where is the trans code located?

also how do i check for a tcs?

what do i have to check for to know that the imported car has complied with aus standards and whatever?
there was a "imported plate" in the engine bay dating back to '02, but does the car need to be complied (intrusion bars and things?)
just want to make sure the car is legal and all
any help is appreciated

Insane_B18
10-09-2004, 02:24 PM
if it has tcs...there should be a button (to switch it on/off) near the sunroof button or check the dash for 3 tcs lights (tcs, tcs off, tcs)

azjs
10-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Not many with tcs around - and try servicing it, it'll end up costing you big bucks.

4ws discussions can be found by searching here and also over at PA...

You've got yourself a rare find mate.

-az

-[nixon]-
10-09-2004, 03:51 PM
vtirs didnt come in red
thats definately an S or an Si
:)

Ummm yes they did... sorry but a guy down the road from me owns a red VTIR...

anyways... this JDM is a very rare find. i say if the price is right, buy it. And if it is JDM, depending on how long its been in AUS... then it should have some good low KMS on it. I was never a fan of red but this JDM "Si VTEC" looks like its in good nic.

if you need more info on 4ws etc do a search here and at PreludeAustralia.com

hijinx
10-09-2004, 03:58 PM
what code will be on the gear box if it isnt a lsd box?

what do i have to check for to know that the imported car has complied with aus standards and whatever?
there was a "imported plate" in the engine bay dating back to '02, but does the car need to be complied (intrusion bars and things?)
just want to make sure the car is legal and all
any help is appreciated

azjs
10-09-2004, 04:13 PM
If its road registered, I think it'd be safe to assume it was roadworthy?

What code? do a search

-az

hijinx
10-09-2004, 10:23 PM
so is a jdm si-vtec worth a little more then the adm model?

what would the market vaule be for one of these, roughly?

bigteethygrin
11-09-2004, 12:10 PM
i dunno about worth more.. there are the typical hassles found with imported vehicles.. especially insurance.. but amongst prelude communities yes the imports are ver desirable... they contain features that were never released in australia.. items such as the rear wiper, a button to control the height of the antenna, and some more desirable objects like the fog lights, climate control system and electric fold in mirrors.. these are some of the features found in the import model.. you may want to check what features this one you are looking at has but i would think that the prev mentioned features would all be there.

hijinx
11-09-2004, 12:55 PM
yeah i have had some trouble with finding a insurance company, but just cars looks like the one.

all those features make the car more appealing to me now...

coladuna
11-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I recently sold my Prelude which as also an Si VTEC. I can tell you that you should pay less for it then for an ADM one. Also check to see if it has compliance plate which obviously means it has been modified to meet the Australian standard.

As for the insurance, NRMA (or RACQ, can't remember which one it was) does insure import preludes. Just tell them it's Prelude import and they should be able to find it on their listing.

hijinx
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
did you ever have any trouble/problems with it?
and also do you mind if i ask why you sold? and how much for?

yeah the car does have a import/compliance plate(a yellow one), so i think all is well in that regards. is that what yours had?

yeah well im in nsw so racq isnt to good for me and the nrma quote was nearly double the just cars one...

aznluder
13-09-2004, 10:37 AM
I used to have a 93 Si-Vtec Lude. Sold it for $14,000 (135,000kms). You should be paying much less for a JDM lude than a AUDM one. Mine didnt even have a compliance plate. There were two ways to get imports in: via your usual compliance blah blah, or through something i believe is called a 'low volume import??'..its a little loophole to get around the compliancing where it was imported as parts or something, and stuck back together again...fully legal. duno how the rules apply now though.

[Blitz]
13-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Legal? Dunno aobut that, cars imported for parts are for that only, you won't be able to get compliance on them.

And since when has low volume import meant bringing in spare parts anyway...

hijinx
13-09-2004, 04:08 PM
I used to have a 93 Si-Vtec Lude. Sold it for $14,000 (135,000kms). You should be paying much less for a JDM lude than a AUDM one. Mine didnt even have a compliance plate. There were two ways to get imports in: via your usual compliance blah blah, or through something i believe is called a 'low volume import??'..its a little loophole to get around the compliancing where it was imported as parts or something, and stuck back together again...fully legal. duno how the rules apply now though.

why would you be paying much less for a jdm?
i thought that they had a little more power then the adm and just differant options? otherwise the same car...

azjs
13-09-2004, 04:49 PM
They have several "little" things the aus specs don't have (to bring down the price of the car for competition's sake) - things that a lof a guys in aus and in the states pay big bucks for so that their cars are "jdm".... :)

Power? I wouldn't look too far into that factor to be honest - more so just the creature comforts, like folding mirrors, foglights things like that...

-az

[Blitz]
13-09-2004, 04:53 PM
One of the primary reasons they're cheaper, is the same reason you nearly have a heart attack at the Insurance Quote.

hijinx
13-09-2004, 06:05 PM
still dont know whether to purchase this one?

has anyone had any major troubles with their car?
i know that the honda parts are usually a little dearer to replace, but you are paying for the quality.
what should i be weary of and check?

aznluder
13-09-2004, 06:25 PM
']Legal? Dunno aobut that, cars imported for parts are for that only, you won't be able to get compliance on them.

And since when has low volume import meant bringing in spare parts anyway...

krap i dunno.. was taking a lil bit of a guess... notice my '???'s? guess i was wrong. cant remember wat the sheme was called.

bigteethygrin
13-09-2004, 10:08 PM
you'll find they are fairly reliable.. reliability will be pretty much the same as an aus spec car.. I think if you can afford the upkeep of an import.. ie insurance then yeah that looks like a very sweet car.. Just make sure that all the work to get it on aus roads has been done and you will find its every bit a prelude just like aus ones..

94vtirozguy
16-09-2004, 11:49 AM
another problem is getting and replacing parts when they cease to work, you could be waiting a fairly long time especailly if the parts are not on the local preludes, not to mention added things like importing the parts paying shipping etc ec

flipmods
17-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Vtirs also came red. Also I have never seen a lude without a sunroof but thats just me.
The interior should be the same but some have a different colour velour (well a green one I saw had a greeny interior standard).
The main differences are not easy to tell, like tranny, engine mounts, radiator, etc unless you really know your ludes, also I saw an SI with ABS so your best bet is to check for VTEC on the rocket cover and maybe bring a ruler to measure the rotors diameter (roughly). If the diameter is 282mm insted of 262mm then it could be a Vtir. Because there are a few swaps nowadays. But the main thing to do is if it looks a bit dodgy- forget about it, there are alot of other ludes out there. Also if it doesnt have the original VTIR badge then you might want to ask yourself is it real or has it had a rear ender.

Good luck.

flipmods
17-09-2004, 10:02 AM
:) oops