PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty?

allophylus
18-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi all, I have purchased a Civic Sport early March in Perth. The dealer gave me 5 years warranty as part of the deal. However, to date I didn't receive any documentation stating/suggesting the warranty expiring date.

I have contacted the salesman and he told me the warranty information will be on the post. Can anyone advise what should I expect for the warranty registrations/confirmation? Any form of papers stating the warranty period?

abzndintegra
19-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Just ring honda and ask them they will ask for ur chassis number and that confirms everything

sirdistik
16-04-2009, 02:24 AM
hehe.. bit old but if this hasn't been answered to your satisfaction.. Honda will send you a letter inviting you to 'extend' your warranrty for something like $750.00 for another 3 years (if i remember right) IF your car qualifies. you'll have to go in for an inspection first then they'll let you know whether you qualify.
I have that letter here somewhere, my 3 year warranty expires in August.. i'm still contemplating whether it's worth it.
Has anyone else been invited to RE-extend theirs too?

FallenAngel
16-04-2009, 09:50 AM
wow talk about bringing back a dead post LOL

Nope haven't got that letter

renegadeice
16-04-2009, 07:22 PM
The thread is alive!

Got my Civic in April 07. I got the letter some time last year. They'll give you a slightly better price if you wait for the letter('special discount offer' inside). I've extended the warranty. And I regret it. The entire idea behind it was to give myself peace of mind, knowing that if there were any faults in the car, it would be covered.

But as it turns out, there are a number of things that aren't covered by warranty. Apparently stuff like brake rotors and brake pads aren't covered. What they say is and I quote "Your total extended warranty period is 5 years. Anything that breaks within that period and should last longer than 5 years will be almost likely be deemed faulty due to the fault of the owner". In the case of the brake rotors, I was told that the FD ones have an estimate lifetime of 5 years. Hence, if they are not covered by the warranty.

And of course, if you have changed anything in your car, you run the risk of voiding things in your warranty. I've installed aftermarket tyres, so suspension might not be covered anymore. I've installed a start button, so my ignition is no longer covered. I will be upgrading my brake pads in the near future, and was told that the entire braking system's warranty may be voided. Take note that these are things that they "CAN" void, but may choose not to (but don't count on them being 'nice').

You get tow service included as part of the extended warranty. I guess that's really what you're paying for.

aaronng
16-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Wear and tear items are not covered. That includes brake pads, brake rotors, clutch discs, oils and fluids, and windscreen damage from stones.

renegadeice
16-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey aaron. Yeah, that's what I was expecting to hear. but the actual answer I got from the dealer made me worry that they're trying to exclude more things than just wear & tear items.

sirdistik
17-04-2009, 12:02 PM
So you think it's not worth purchasing the extended warranty? Mine's coming up in August and at the moment, i'm in the same boat, doubting that it'll do me any good.

I had a punctured condenser a few months back, apparently some pebble pierced it! and they wanted $900 to replace and regas.

despite showing them the evidence that it might possibly have been a defect with the condensers (cheap material) they declined to cover it.

I gave them the following references:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/84231-c-condensor-fuked-2.html
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-gen-honda-civic/287369-bad-air-intake-grille-design-hole-condenser-no-cold-ac-2.html
http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/honda/TQ02NF40877B57GF6
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/honda/odyssey/r93532/comments/

JaCe
18-04-2009, 01:59 AM
The extended warranty was thrown in for me since they couldn't reduce the price of the car at the time I bought the Civic (at launch).

For me it came in handy when recently my centre console latch broke and it just would not close (it kept springing open because the latch wasn't clipping). It was fixed under the extended warranty- and I didn't even need to say anything; the service guys saw on their system that it was covered.

sirdistik
18-04-2009, 02:55 AM
That's the first incident that i've heard of the extended warranty actually covering anything. i thought they'd blame it on your rough driving etc.. from what i've read and experienced, they'll fight tooth and nail to decline a warranty claim.

or in the case of a mate of mine with an accord euro, they botched it up and it looks fugly.. his bumper wasn't installed right and it bulges out

allophylus
18-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow, never see this coming. Slightly more then a year from my original post. LOL.

I was trying to get my dealer to throw in the 2 years extended warranty as part of the deal a year ago, as my second purchase option at the time was a Lancer VRX whcih comes with 5+5 years warranty. We all know when come down to bargaining, we had to put in all bullshits we can think of. The thing was, the salesman agreed and confirmed I will get the extended warranty.

After abznfintegra responded, I called Honda Australia and they told me they didn't receive anything from my dealer. So I hassled the salesman for a few weeks and finally dropped in to pickup the letter about the extended warranty personally.

Well, sound like its a $750 saving to me. :)

sirdistik
18-04-2009, 04:56 PM
That's so typical of dealers. once they've sold you the vehicle and taken your money, don't want to know you anymore. Good on you for taken matters into your own hand and getting that letter Allophylus! who knows what might've happened 3 years down the track?!

But i'm wordering.. when the time comes for people who are invited to extend their warranty.. who will do it? Considering that the first 3 years i've had mine, i've never had to make a warranty claim (or at least when I tried, i was declined anyways).

I'd just like to put that question out there - Will you fork out $750 to buy the extended warranty?

JOhnnyFD
18-04-2009, 05:07 PM
after owning my FD for 6months, honda sent me a letter to extend my warranty to 5yrs... this was back b4 when my car was a stock as a rock.. back then i knew that i was gonna do mods to her sooner or later and now that i have, glad tat i didnt extend my warranty and besides... my uncles whos a mechanic knows ppl who can service my car better, cheaper and faster... its just that peace of mind on getting that official honda stamp on your servicing by forking out more $$$ and of your time (srzly 4hrs for a service!?!?)

note that as your warranty near its end, the cost of servicing ur car increases.. so extending ur warranty from 3 to 5yrs cost $$$ and each servicing charge increases from the previous