PDA

View Full Version : 15-30W Engine oil? for 150,000k's?

neut
20-04-2008, 03:58 PM
hey guys just a noob question should i start using 15-30W Engine Oil for my dc2r, im currently using 10-30W? its almost hitting 150,000k's soon! thanks

aaronng
20-04-2008, 05:43 PM
No! Go for 10w-40. You should increase the 2nd number, which is the hot temperature viscosity (100 C), not the first number, which represents viscosity at -18 C.

Kiz_EG6
24-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I disagree with a 40 weight, the oil recommendation in the manual states 5w30 for climate temp under 30 degrees and a 10w40 for 30 plus.

I have royal purple 5w30 in mine at the moment for winter (dc2r just clocked 150k), it's done 3000k's so far and hasn't burned much off at all!

So, yeah, chuck it in through the cold months, then put something a bit thicker in for summer ;)

This is unless of course it is burning through the 10w30 :p

Bludger
27-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I disagree with a 40 weight, the oil recommendation in the manual states 5w30 for climate temp under 30 degrees and a 10w40 for 30 plus.

I have royal purple 5w30 in mine at the moment for winter (dc2r just clocked 150k), it's done 3000k's so far and hasn't burned much off at all!

So, yeah, chuck it in through the cold months, then put something a bit thicker in for summer ;)

This is unless of course it is burning through the 10w30 :psorry, I'll have to agree with Aaron with this one....

JasonGilholme
27-04-2008, 09:56 PM

This is what i do :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IEVAQ8
27-04-2008, 11:30 PM
my dc2r has 152***kms on it and is now boosted and i still run the stock honda FEO 10-30..............hasnt missed and beat and doesntr drink much oil at all............even when it was na...........................
i change the oil and filter every 5000kms........................
i hope this helps

est1989
28-04-2008, 12:30 AM
my car burns oil like nuts.
atm using honda oil 10-30.
so time to up the first number or the second number?

aaronng
28-04-2008, 12:43 AM
my car burns oil like nuts.
atm using honda oil 10-30.
so time to up the first number or the second number?

Time to change the PCV valve first. After that, if it is still burning, put in 10w-40. If you go to 10w-40 straight away, it will still burn some. So replace the PCV first.

est1989
28-04-2008, 12:48 AM
im noob what is pcv?

aaronng
28-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Positive crankcase ventilation. A weakened PCV valve will let more of your oil vapour get pushed back into your intake manifold and burnt.

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Positive crankcase ventilation. A weakened PCV valve will let more of your oil vapour get pushed back into your intake manifold and burnt.

In order to tell this... would you be catching alot of oil in the oil catch tank (if you have one that is)?

aaronng
29-04-2008, 02:42 PM
In order to tell this... would you be catching alot of oil in the oil catch tank (if you have one that is)?

Yes, you would be catching a lot of oil IF you have connected the catch can properly in between the PCV valve at the block and the intake manifold, and that you have some sort of steel wool or other material to help the oil condensate.

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:36 PM
So burning oil does not have anything to do with Piston ring being loose / Worn? - only the PVC valve?

aaronng
29-04-2008, 04:45 PM
So burning oil does not have anything to do with Piston ring being loose / Worn? - only the PVC valve?

It does have to do with the piston ring and bores with worn. What happens is that the combustion gases at high pressure pass between the piston ring and wall (called blowby) and get into the crankcase. The combustion gas causes the crankcase to have higher pressure, which then is released by the PCV valve back into the intake manifold. If you have this problem, then usually the pressure is enough to cause even a new PCV valve to open. So in this situation, replacing the PCV valve won't solve the entire problem, but can help partially.

The amount of oil burnt depends on the amount of gas being released by the PCV into the intake manifold and that in turn is affected by a weak/worn PCV valve spring and worn piston rings and bores.

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:52 PM
man your awsome... thanks for the explanation. :D

andiiso
29-04-2008, 05:26 PM
It does have to do with the piston ring and bores with worn. What happens is that the combustion gases at high pressure pass between the piston ring and wall (called blowby) and get into the crankcase. The combustion gas causes the crankcase to have higher pressure, which then is released by the PCV valve back into the intake manifold. If you have this problem, then usually the pressure is enough to cause even a new PCV valve to open. So in this situation, replacing the PCV valve won't solve the entire problem, but can help partially.

The amount of oil burnt depends on the amount of gas being released by the PCV into the intake manifold and that in turn is affected by a weak/worn PCV valve spring and worn piston rings and bores.

great explanation, mine burns oil quite quick, im using 0w-40 mobil1 gold (only cos i needed oil real bad but its not bad doesnt burn that badly) since my car done like 180,000kms i mite actually replace PCV valve regardless of it being worn or not (after 180,000kms, i think it would have worn weakened in some way or another) and im gonna go bak to my mobil1 silver 5w-50 .. not too concerned bout the .01kw in my car depending on oil, i cant realli feel a difference anyway, as long as i get enuff protection in my old engine and it run fine, salll gooodddd .. my car is a Civic VtiR btw

neut
29-04-2008, 08:09 PM
sorry wheres the PCV can someone get a Picture of an engine bay and Circle it with Paint or something? Thanks.

slidetaker
30-04-2008, 11:09 AM

In Melbourne, thinking back in the summer with 2 consecutive 40 degree days, wonder how many Hondas on the roads got their FEO 10W-30 oil thinned out and sheared...:wave:

http://www.harleyc.com/prelude/faq/imgs/pcv.gif
for the guy who wants to know where PCV is...

Kiz_EG6
30-04-2008, 07:21 PM
In Melbourne, thinking back in the summer with 2 consecutive 40 degree days, wonder how many Hondas on the roads got their FEO 10W-30 oil thinned out and sheared...:wave:

http://www.harleyc.com/prelude/faq/imgs/pcv.gif
for the guy who wants to know where PCV is...

Lets just say, i thought it was getting cold and it needed a change, so i changed it, then we had that LOVELY week long heat wave, so i was VERY gentle when i did have to drive her, the oil was probably like water!!

slidetaker
01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
.... the oil was probably like water!!

won't be as severe as turning into water..

Somebody correct me if I got it wrong...but I think SAE ?W-30 are suitable for under 38 degree ambient temperature???

Then again, it depends on more things such as the conditions of the engine and its oil to start off with, how efficient is the cooling system working and what load the engine is under too...