PDA

View Full Version : What sway bar to get for an EK

bubblecivic
20-04-2008, 07:40 PM
hey ppl, im looking to get a rear sway bar for my ek4.

any suggestions on what i should go for?

teh_mechanic
20-04-2008, 08:03 PM
cant go wrong with the type r rear swaybar

tank
20-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Depends on what spring rates you are running. If you are not going more than 250 lbs/in rear springs then I recommend:

EK9 Civic Type R 22mm rear sway bar with ASR reinforcement kit.

simonnowis
20-04-2008, 09:38 PM
u pretty much have the choice of oem ek9 22mm rear or whiteline swaybars etc. since the ek4 have a 26mm front putting in a 22mm rear would be the same setup as the ek9, so cant go wrong there. but either case u would need a subframe reinforcement kit.

bubblecivic
21-04-2008, 12:39 AM
how much ek9 ones goin for?

what reinforcement sub should i get to go with the ek9 rear sway?

thanks for the help guys

Dell99
21-04-2008, 02:06 AM
as stated. For the reinforcement go for ASR

BlitZ
22-04-2008, 06:01 PM
i got one for sale.. works the same as ASR.. just custom made.. complete with Plate, all high tensile bolts, ITR/CTR sway car.. u just need end links..

Chasing $300

nd55
22-04-2008, 10:20 PM
> hey ppl, im looking to get a rear sway bar for my ek4

EK4 should already have a 14mm rear sway ... I can never remember which which is which ..

With the rear sway bar it's the end links which are a nightmare and might cost you as much as the bar itself.

ITR rear bar uses some unique bushes in the endlinks. ASR do a package with all the bits from memory.

Whiteline subframe had some issues if not done correctly, but they're local and if you drop
by or call, I don't think anyone can fault their support.

Whiteline bar as three different mounting points and is thus adjustable.

You'll need D poly bushes also, Superpro or Whiteline both local.

Whiteline subframe and Whiteline swaybar.
or
ASR subframe plate and ITR sway bar

The different combinations of brace and bar are not compatible.

Nick.

tank
23-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Step 1: Buy ASR reinforcement kit for EK Civic.
Step 2: Buy OEM EK9 Civic Type R 22mm rear sway bar with 22mm bushes and bracket.

The above setup is what I have on my EK4. It is a direct bolt-on. No endlink issues at all. EK4 and EK9 uses the same endlinks for the rear sway bar.

Do not buy the DC2 Integra Type R sway bar as you will have endlink issues. You can still get it to work but a lot more effort and cost.

simonnowis
23-04-2008, 12:21 PM
all ek use same endlinks, if you wanna run a dc2r swaybar you gotta use dc2r lca.
but anyway for prices
ek9 rearswaybar brand new endlinks brackets all inclusive $250
ASR brace brand new $325
anymore then that your getting ripped off.

vinnY
23-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Do not buy the DC2 Integra Type R sway bar as you will have endlink issues. You can still get it to work but a lot more effort and cost.

emailed charleston from asr in the US and got my endlink inserts for US$25
here within the week

BlitZ
23-04-2008, 01:07 PM
all ek use same endlinks, if you wanna run a dc2r swaybar you gotta use dc2r lca.
but anyway for prices
ek9 rearswaybar brand new endlinks brackets all inclusive $250
ASR brace brand new $325
anymore then that your getting ripped off.

FARK no... why would u want dc2r LCA.. then u need new shocks

U just need the washers to go into the sway bar holes.. i got mine for $10.. tell them to throw it in the ASR kit

vinnY
23-04-2008, 01:18 PM
not to mention i don't believe the dc2r lca's will fit seeing as they're shorter than the ek ones

Parsout
23-04-2008, 10:33 PM
vinnY is dead-set correct! DC2R LCA's will not fit an EK - much too short.

It's not that all the possible combinations of parts are incompatible either, theres ways to make anything work.

Either way, unless you have the EK9 subframe welded into your chassis, you can't fit a swaybar using the standard Type R (Civic or Integra) 'D' shackles and main bushings unless you drill some holes.

The ASR kit (or, buy a big peice of thick black-metal and cut to fit for about $10) is a simple solution, and it's very effective.

Another kit i've installed was the BEAKS sub-frame kit - surprisingly clever - and on top of that it works with both the EK9 CTR swaybar and the DC2R swaybar and any EK endlinks (or aftermarket substitute. DC2R endlinks will NOT work).

But if you didn't want to modify your subframe on any EK, you can use any swaybar you like, along with the OEM EK endlinks (or an aftermarket copy, DC2R endlinks will NOT work). The major difference however will be that you'll have to source different 'D' shackles and rubbers for them, as the holes are closer together than the OEM Type R 'D' shackles.

If you need better explanation, just let me know and I'll post up pics of all of the above stuff.

Cheers! D.

55EXX
24-04-2008, 08:25 AM
i found the whiteline 22mm bar and reinforcement kit to be east strong enough for hard street use. straight easy bolt on. make sure you retension the bolts and should have no worries.

tank
24-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Either way, unless you have the EK9 subframe welded into your chassis, you can't fit a swaybar using the standard Type R (Civic or Integra) 'D' shackles and main bushings unless you drill some holes.

The OEM EK9 Civic Type R rear sway bar and ASR reinforcement is a direct bolt-on to my EK4 Civic subframe. The EK9 'D' brackets and bushings lined up perfect. No need to drill any holes at all. In fact you should never drill any holes into your subframe.

I did the install myself and it was straight forward as can be. The only issue you will have is one of the 'D' brackets rubs against the standard muffler slightly. Either extend the pipe to the muffler or replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket performance muffler.

vinnY
24-04-2008, 04:21 PM
i think parsout meant that you can't fit the ek9 sway bar without the aid of an asr brace
the bracket where you bolt on the stock 14mm sway bar's d shackles aren't big enough and do not have the holes to fit the 22/23mm sway bars d shackles

BlitZ
24-04-2008, 04:25 PM
^^.... thats right... mine is the same.. ahaah..

you super impose the bolt holes to make them sit ontop of each other...

Whiteline - they move it to the side and causes the tearing of the ears. They just used a plate in the new version.. which is only slightly better.

Beaks - quiet crap... torsion restricted and cant spread as there isnt a plate

ASR - Proaabbaly one of the beest ones.. Or be like me and make one the same for 1/2 the price

Comptech is also good, but its too hard to get in AUStralia

fatboyz39
24-04-2008, 04:44 PM
ASR brace $280 ish/ ITR swaybar with endlinks $150 ish. ASR brace are a quality item.

kn1ghtm4r3
24-04-2008, 05:07 PM
i have an asr with ek9 rear sway, i absolutely love it =)

aowwllan
24-04-2008, 07:25 PM
ek9. enough said

causeraybay
02-10-2008, 09:53 PM
in the market for a rear sway bar, seems to be a variety of brands to choose from.. neuspeed, blox, whiteline, h&r, eibach, etc OR is OEM CTR EK9 enough? as for the sub frame, id probably go ASR!

EK1.6LCIV
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
wouldn't the stock one be decent enough for street duties? otherwise ASR, JDM CTR, Cusco, etc or even ITR

tangyoonee
05-02-2010, 01:36 PM
ASR brace $280 ish/ ITR swaybar with endlinks $150 ish. ASR brace are a quality item.

Will ASR improve handling on it's own without rear sway bar?

vinnY
05-02-2010, 01:40 PM
one is fairly useless without the other

jks24
05-02-2010, 09:54 PM
i just purchased my ek9 rear sway bar, already had the ASR brace from a few months ago when they were on sale. Getting them installed into the EM1 next week and I know I will feel a difference :)

eternaL_
18-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Try the whiteline sway bars, I had them on my old car and they worked pretty well. It handled a lot better with minimal body roll. They also have the adjustable ones

countonjohn
18-02-2010, 08:47 PM
For a EK1 Cxi which didnt come with a front OR rear sway bar, if I were to get the EK9 22mm REAR sway bar + ASR Subframe brace, what would be the best FRONT sway bar to get? Would the stock Gli front sway be the best bang for buck? or would a bigger front sway be recommended? I assume that it is best to have a FRONT sway bar as well if you are planning to get a REAR one? Any recommendations on the best setup?

97EK1
19-02-2010, 04:58 AM
well i think my cxi (or any FWD) has enough understeer without adding more in the form of a front swaybar i only have one on the back and it works fine and does its job