PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Options for 1975 Civic

uncleraggy
20-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi there, I've just become the owner of a 75 model Civic that has a Hondamatic 2 speed auto in it. It belonged to my aunt who has owned it since new. The box has died (I have no idea exactly why, I'm just going on my aunt and uncles description of it), and she has had no end of trouble finding anyone who can service or overhaul the box. What options are available to me? Is there a manual conversion or 3 speed auto that I can slot into it if I can't come across anyone who can fix it?

Cheers.

timster1200
21-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi there, I've just become the owner of a 75 model Civic that has a Hondamatic 2 speed auto in it. It belonged to my aunt who has owned it since new. The box has died (I have no idea exactly why, I'm just going on my aunt and uncles description of it), and she has had no end of trouble finding anyone who can service or overhaul the box. What options are available to me? Is there a manual conversion or 3 speed auto that I can slot into it if I can't come across anyone who can fix it?

Cheers.

Where you situated? if in Melb ward while motors box hill know their stuff 9890 6025. If you want a new box gotta go wreckers, once again if in Melb centre road wreckers have a few first gens there which you could poach. 2nd gen civics and same year acoords have three speed hondamatics which you can put in. Also in my first gen i was going to put a city turbo gearbox in so im pretty sure a standard city gearbox could go in, but thats a bit of a hassle as your changing from auto to manual.

uncleraggy
21-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Where you situated? if in Melb ward while motors box hill know their stuff 9890 6025. If you want a new box gotta go wreckers, once again if in Melb centre road wreckers have a few first gens there which you could poach. 2nd gen civics and same year acoords have three speed hondamatics which you can put in. Also in my first gen i was going to put a city turbo gearbox in so im pretty sure a standard city gearbox could go in, but thats a bit of a hassle as your changing from auto to manual.

Cheers mate. I'm in Sydney. When you say 2nd generation civics, what year would we be talking about? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to Honda's :)

timster1200
21-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not sue what year, it's been a while since i sold mine. The 2nd gen ones are the ones with the indicators in the bumper and an updated front grill. They are the ones which look like a facelifted first gen without all the chrome bits and pieces.

Your best bet however is a wreckers, not many first gens around these days...:thumbdwn:

uncleraggy
23-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Cheers mate. The car is still at my aunts, I'll have to take a closer look at it. I know sweet FA about the car, other than it's blue!