20-04-2008, 09:57 PM
injen ~USD$300 ebay

hooyn
20-04-2008, 09:58 PM
i chose injen.

WIL70S
21-04-2008, 01:26 AM
hey sorry im a bit of a retard?

whats a CAI and what does it do for your car?

devilians
21-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Cold Air Intake well it helps your car get more air

aaronng
21-04-2008, 03:00 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20016&highlight=typhoon

JunYu
21-04-2008, 09:01 AM
hey, I actually just purchased one from a forum member.
Got the fujuta, apparently there are no losses in lower rpms yet you still get your gains in the higher revs.

Anyway, most cai are comparable, it's just your own preference of brand. Keep in mind a Fujita can be had for 200USD new.

mr747
21-04-2008, 09:48 AM
injen for me

enkay
21-04-2008, 09:57 AM
probs injen as it can go short and cold lol but then again it doesnt really flood around here =P
fujita is just as good thou just cant convert to short.
also apparently the fujita is a bit more louder during the lower rpms compared to the injen

Crapdaz
21-04-2008, 10:04 AM
i have AEM SRI converted to CAI. Pretty quiet until you rev it over 4000rpm.

You can prob get an AEM CAI for about $300shipped here if i can recall how much it is.

tony1234
21-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Fujita then Injen if you want loud(mainly when you hit Vtec) and some loss of power low to mid,some gain up high.Icebox if you want it quieter,improvement in low to mid and slight loss(compared to Fujita and Injen)up high.I 've got the Icebox.:thumbsup:

FAT VTI
21-04-2008, 12:43 PM
custom made mandrel bent piping with a k&n filter.
or generic piping off ebay, with a better filter.

mars_panas
21-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Injen for me... getting one put in on my Jazz soon

Crapdaz
21-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Just wondering what brand will you guy choose for CAI and what their prices are

if it's possible please feed me with some links
BTW is K&N typhoon serise any good?

thanks in advance

Just wondering what your requirements are? Loud? Gains through rev range? Price range? but specifically standard cAI = +/- $300 shipped, but intake can range from an estimate of say $250 - $1000(J's racing)

EK Civic R
21-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Anyone have the J's Racing intake??

What sort of gains/losses do you get from it?

mars_panas
21-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey guys is it true that CAI only good in hot days?? and not that great in winter??

outatime
21-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Simota CAI ftw:thumbsup:

aaronng
21-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey guys is it true that CAI only good in hot days?? and not that great in winter??

No, it is not true.

FAT VTI
21-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Mate, there is a countless number of threads on ozhonda regarding the pros and cos of cai compared to sri.

CAI-Cold air Intake means exactly that, cold air is being recieved (normally through a filter at the end of the induction pipe or at the end of the pipe with a filter or box in the middle. Basically, it recieves air normally under the guard, through a hole in the engine bay. This means, it is recieving cold air and thus cold air induction.
SRI- Short ram intake differs because it is recieving air from inside the engine bay.
The debate for which is better is a long one, and there is no real winner.
SRI normally provides air faster, because the piping is shorter and therefore the air doesnt need to travel as far .
CAI provides cold air, however it normally takes a little longer to reach ur engine because the piping is naturally longer as it isnt in ur engine bay (the end of the piping).

So in answer to your question, somebody has obviously told you cai's are no good in winter due to the rain i am guessing. Now lets think about this for a moment. Winter produces colder weather, colder air improves the cai and therefore if anything winter is actually better for cai's.
the reason many ppl do not like cai's in winter or in general, is because water can be filtered in because it is exposed to water a little more than sri.

This is a load of crap imo. Cai's should never get water inside the piping, you can buy better filters which filter out 99% of water. Also, cai's are not (normally) exposed to anything. They are hidden by the inner guard, which stretches from your wheel right under ur engine bay. it all depends on which car you are talking about.
your cai is not really exposed to anything. In my cd5 accord, the only way i would get water to even touch my filter would not occur from being out of the engine bay. I reckon it would occur from water getting into the engine bay through the cracks in the bonnet. Therefore you need to ask yourself, water in the bonnet has more or less of a chance hitting a sri filter (ontop of engine bay) or cai (beneath or through a hole in the engine bay).

As you can tell, i prefer cai, but you make your own decision and stick with it. In saying this, cai can attract water if you are constantly driving through puddles, but again that is the reason for the plastic inner guard which covers the entire filter! buy a filter whici filters out water and stop whinging about the possibility of water being inducted!
This is my opinion, each application for each car will determine whether a cai would or would not attract water. I am saying this in respect to my cd5.
*rant over*

mars_panas
21-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh thanks aaronng :p

and to FAT VTI thanks for the great right up but just wanted a simple answer to go with my simple question not a whole story... but thanks anyways

aaronng
21-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Basically, cold air is better because it is denser. So in summer, it helps you get warm summer air instead of hot engine bay air (warm air is cooler than hot air). In winter, it helps you get cold winter air instead of warm engine bay air (cold air is cooler than warm air as well). So it is a win-win (except for the longer piping). Just avoid deep puddles when driving.

mars_panas
21-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Basically, cold air is better because it is denser. So in summer, it helps you get warm summer air instead of hot engine bay air (warm air is cooler than hot air). In winter, it helps you get cold winter air instead of warm engine bay air (cold air is cooler than warm air as well). So it is a win-win (except for the longer piping). Just avoid deep puddles when driving.

Thank you once again for your help in understand more about the CAI.. i have a brief idea now on how it works :p

FAT VTI
21-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Not to blast you or anything, but there are countless number of threads on this site with discussion on both.
If you need any more of an understanding then search and you'll get ur answer.

mars_panas
21-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyways i got my answer now please get back to the orginal topic sorry for hijacking this thread....

enkay
21-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Anyone have the J's Racing intake??

What sort of gains/losses do you get from it?

ive got the j's racing
well i havent tried the other intakes so i have no comparison really
but i can kinda feel mid range and top range gain
throttle response is a bit better too
when i 1st installed the intake i didnt install the lower fender air scoop and then installed it later. i could feel the difference as it felt as if there was a lot more air for the intake to suck in, cos at 1st it sounded like it wasnt getting enough air sounded a bit more raspier might just be the intake thou haha.
for losses i dont really have any really, during normal driving on light throttle theres no intake sound, even if you are goin high rpm in 1st gear at light throttle its not that loud and you get a throatier sound round 3 above on normal driving.
but when you gun it its like every other intake, loud as =D

eg_08_wa
21-04-2008, 05:22 PM
other than the obvious, (ie dun drive through a puddle), what do you guys with cai do if u have to drive through a flash flood situation?

i've hydro locked a car b4 with a cai system installed (no not a honda), and am wondering how the rest of you guys get around this problem, esp since most of these cars are lowered.

thx for any help/information

devilians
21-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Just wondering what your requirements are? Loud? Gains through rev range? Price range? but specifically standard cAI = +/- $300 shipped, but intake can range from an estimate of say $250 - $1000(J's racing)

I'm staying in CAIRNS as you guys know it's hot over here so I'm trying to get some cold air hehe also will like a bit louder price range around 300~600 depending on brand of course see if you guys can give me some advise thanks

aaronng
21-04-2008, 06:55 PM
other than the obvious, (ie dun drive through a puddle), what do you guys with cai do if u have to drive through a flash flood situation?

i've hydro locked a car b4 with a cai system installed (no not a honda), and am wondering how the rest of you guys get around this problem, esp since most of these cars are lowered.

If I couldn't find a shallow spot to drive through on the rightmost lane, I'd pull to the side of the road, and flash my hazard lights instead.

ShAwNeX
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Definitely injen

ShAwNeX
05-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Don't they provide those socks that you can put over the filter?

power_of_dreams
05-05-2008, 03:17 PM
No, must purchase seperately.

FAT VTI
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
lol, flash floods arnt common at all around me.
just pull over and sit it out. get a taxi home.

Thats like saying What happens if u run out of petrol. lol very small chance of it happening but if it happens you have options.

drezy
05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I have a K&N Typhoon CAI.. good cos its quiet at low rev range, but roars above 4k rpm when u floor it and hit vtec.... don't know what power gains came from installing it if any .. it came with a sock too.. so not as worried about puddles.. :)

honki3rider
05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
only have tried injen. apparently "dyno proven". but my butt dyno doesnt register the extra 11kwatw.:p nor does it feel the lose in power/torque down low.:confused:

but most get an intake because of the sound and all CAI's will give roughly the same increase/decrease in kw/nm

and you'll probably use more fuel cause you want to hear the intake more..like me.:p

akina
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
but my butt dyno doesnt register the extra 11kwatw.

careful, its not 11kw but 11hp
which equals around 8kw and done in automatic.

and personally, i don't feel any gains either apart from noise level hehe

Crapdaz
06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
injen can be converted to SRI or not? if you can then...

cause my AEM was initially SRI and i could feel heatsoak and laggyness/inconsistency (not enclosed and no cold air feed) hence why i changed it to CAI.... if you can trial SRI then convert it back to CAI give it a go otherwise only can reference from others opinions.

akina
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Yes, ingen can be converted to SRI

honki3rider
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
careful, its not 11kw but 11hp
which equals around 8kw and done in automatic.

and personally, i don't feel any gains either apart from noise level hehe

you sure? i had people tell me 11kwatw in auto.?:confused:

injen tells a waaaayyy different story altogether.
18hpatw=13.4kwatw with MR techonology;)
http://injen.com/galleries/products/SP1431_charts.jpg

ShAwNeX
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Never trust the data that the companies provide. It's equivalent to the fuel consumption results that car manufacturers give. Their never accurate in real world situations and their testing methods are usually under controlled conditions. Some of the fuel consumption results that are advertised seem only possible on a dyno in a wind tunnel or something.

FAT VTI
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
you sure? i had people tell me 11kwatw in auto.?:confused:

injen tells a waaaayyy different story altogether.
18hpatw=13.4kwatw with MR techonology;)
http://injen.com/galleries/products/SP1431_charts.jpg

Load of shit.

I doubt you would get over 5-7hp gain from just about and cai or sri. Bit of a gimmick i reckon.

honki3rider
06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
yea, of course you cant.
if you want big gains with just intake, you would be kidding yourself.