PDA

View Full Version : Honda Odyssey

baboo
20-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a new 08 Honda Odyssey in black. Pretty happy to be back in a Honda having owned a 04 Euro prior. can't beat the Honda built quality.

A couple of issues I would like to ask the Odyssey owners.

1. headlight seems very dim, maybe I'm used to HID lights. would upgrade to HID soon. does the HID look holegen lights worth it? or really needs a proper HID kit.

2. Brake seems to be quite weak. will it get better once the car run in?

couple of disappointment is that it doesn't come with GPS built in and HID.

but overall it is an excellent family car!

AusAccord
21-04-2008, 03:28 PM
congrat!! another Ody owners
1/ only installed a set of Osram Night Breaker not HID. improved a bit but not as great as HID i believe
2/ doubt will get better esp if full loaded with 7 people. may be good idea to upgrade like this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74374

PNR888
21-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Baboo:
Long time no see. Are you planning a family soon? What makes you jump into family car bangwagon?

Bought my wife a new CR-V last week, taking delivery tomorrow. 1st baby due August. so yap, I am into family car/SUV bangwagon now.. but I am still keeping my 03 Euro.

I guess now we will meet in "Other Hondas" section more often then "Accord CL9" section. Oh, no! I think my wife will force me to read "baby forum" or "parenthood forum" instead of "ozhonda forum".

evolution
21-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Good to see another Odyssey owner! As for your points....

1. Wanted to install HIDs as well, but was told they would be useless in heavy rain, so I scrapped that idea.... but then again there are so many cars running around with HIDs so I could be wrong.

2. You can run in the car for as long as you want, but the brakes will still be as crap....:thumbdwn: Maybe you can try Mugen Rotors with Mugen Pads. Heard it's better than stock, but a BBK (Big Brake Kit) upgrade is better. BBKs for Euros should be able to be used for Odysseys, my BBK is also a direct bolt one for Euros. Problem is you will need a minumum of 18"" rims when you change to a full 4 pot BBK

A few other things you might want to consider changing.
a) Tyres, I think the stock tyres a crap as well especally in the rain
b) Sway bars... the car rolls quite a bit, thicker sway bars helps. Cusco is the only brand I know that makes them.

baboo
22-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!

I've already ordered a set of HID, maybe stick with 4300k to 6000k range, not going to go to extreme to get higher K HID. reason for upgrading is really for visability at night time! In heavy rain condition the visability will be poor regardless if you have HID or not.

I've also ordered a set of front ENDLESS brake pads, I've tried a ODC with pads upgrades, it really gave alot more confident in braking.
stock brake is shithouse!

Hey Roger! Congrats on the baby, is it boy or girl? I've got a 6 month old girl, that's the reason I switched to ODC. hehe... CR-V eh? nice! you can put Mugen bodykit LOL!

I concentrate on making the ODC safer first, these are the 2 areas that I find needs attention immediately. Safety is No.1 priority.

evolution, My car came with Dunlops SP sport I think, same as yours?
I think RB1 came with Yokohama A-spec before. pretty sure Yokos were better tyres.

As for the sway bar, I probably will be upgrade to the JDM ODC Absolute rear sway bar.

baboo
22-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Evolution, your ODC is sweet looking. Love your BBK!!

Where did you get that grill? modulo bodykit is so very nice!

evolution
22-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Hmmm I've actually been itching to change to HIDs again.......

My stock tires were the Yoko's, had a bad accident before in the rain with those tires in my Lancer. Now running on BS Potenza Re001... like chalk and cheese.

If I'm not mistaken JDM Odyssey's even the Absolute model all come with the same sway bars.

Front grill was ordered and shipped from overseas, its the modulo type zz... should have gotten the Mugen one... looks better. aka_NSX has got the mugen one installed, link here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79681)

baboo
22-04-2008, 02:07 AM
can you PM me the pricing on that modulo type zz grill?

personally I like the modulo one better.

I have to investigate more on the swaybar, maybe cusco is the one to go?

Hehe, you're going all out on the ODC, when are you dropping in a supercharger ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzDqMowBxIw

AusAccord
22-04-2008, 08:40 AM
must admit the Cusco sway bars are good upgrade for safety issues. have installed their f/r sway bars + low arms. body rolls been reduced even i'm still running stock suspension.

AusAccord
22-04-2008, 12:03 PM
...... BBKs for Euros should be able to be used for Odysseys, my BBK is also a direct bolt one for Euros. Problem is you will need a minumum of 18"" rims when you change to a full 4 pot BBK.......

hey evo, can u let us know more abt the direct bolt of BBK for Euro to RB1 pls. do u have the spec/dimension on yrs BBK? ask heaps of people advising the Spoon kit for Euro needs modification to fit RB1... interesting to know n tks

aka_NSX
22-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Congrats on your new Odyssey :thumbsup:

good choice :D

enjoy and drive safely

cheers

baboo
22-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks aka NSX.

your NSX looks mint!

AusAccord, how thick is the new cusco rearsway bar? Odyssey one is tiny I assume similar to accord euros?

AusAccord
22-04-2008, 09:46 PM
cusco front 30mm n rear 16mm. not sure the stock one but believe rear is 12mm

quadrio
22-04-2008, 09:55 PM
congrats on the nw purchase mate, i bought a 08 odyssey aswell, best thing i have done me thinks

evolution
23-04-2008, 02:25 AM
can you PM me the pricing on that modulo type zz grill?

personally I like the modulo one better.

I have to investigate more on the swaybar, maybe cusco is the one to go?

Hehe, you're going all out on the ODC, when are you dropping in a supercharger ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzDqMowBxIw

PM you about the grill

Supercharger :D Wife would kill me, she thinks I've already spent too much on the car. She agreed on the safety and handling mods, but I think she would flip if I started to touch the engine + IHE

evolution
23-04-2008, 02:44 AM
must admit the Cusco sway bars are good upgrade for safety issues. have installed their f/r sway bars + low arms. body rolls been reduced even i'm still running stock suspension.

ah.. somebody has been modding in secret..;) But yeh, the swaybars and lower arm bars really help to arrest the roll.

hey evo, can u let us know more abt the direct bolt of BBK for Euro to RB1 pls. do u have the spec/dimension on yrs BBK? ask heaps of people advising the Spoon kit for Euro needs modification to fit RB1... interesting to know n tks.

I don't have any specs on my BBK, all I can tell you is that it is a not a full sized 4 piston calliper, its called a small 4 or min 4 pot with 330mm ventilated and slotted rotors. The brand is JBT.
When I got the BBK set, I was told by the workshop that these brakes would fit the CL Accords , FD Civics, RB Odysseys and DC non R integras(the JDM R's are different) as direct bolt ons.

I've seen a few Odysseys and Euros with the same BBK as mine (not in OZ of course) so that's why I believe the brakes for the Euros should fit the Odyssey.

What sort of mods where they talking about? just changing the mounting bracket? Is it due to the rotor size?

AusAccord
23-04-2008, 10:56 AM
believe is the mounting bracket as they didn't say much. may have to search the dimension/spec between Euro and Odyssey for comparison. BTW, where did u get yr BBK fm if u don't mind telling us? As i remember not many countries having RB1 (Japan, China, HKG, Taiwan?)

raz05
23-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I read some overseas forum said they actually using the RB1 Endless BBK kit for their CL7 or CL9

baboo
23-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Ray, LOL you want to sell your Endless 6pot to me?

Endless calipers are great, have got them in the other car. They are superb infact LOL

PM you about the grill

Supercharger Wife would kill me, she thinks I've already spent too much on the car. She agreed on the safety and handling mods, but I think she would flip if I started to touch the engine + IHE

LOL @ Evo, same here. Wife says ok to HID & brake upgrade, told her for safety. She's ok with the bodykit and making it look good. But I don't think I'd be able to mod the engine & exhaust too. "

AusAccord
23-04-2008, 08:15 PM
why all the owners of Ody are restricted by WIFE. i'm on the same boat "don't even think abt to lower the car" :(

evolution
23-04-2008, 09:42 PM
believe is the mounting bracket as they didn't say much. may have to search the dimension/spec between Euro and Odyssey for comparison. BTW, where did u get yr BBK fm if u don't mind telling us? As i remember not many countries having RB1 (Japan, China, HKG, Taiwan?)

Malaysia and Sinagpore also have RB1s and I got my parts from Singapore, I called up the workshop to order and got my Brother to pick-up and ship them over. Also I went down to the shop on my last trip and brought some parts back. So interms of getting the parts in OZ I have asked around a bit, but can't tell you where is the best places to get them.
How I got to know about the shops was beacuse I joined the Singapore Honda Club forum and just picked up ideas from them

Just found this online store that sells parts for RB1 ODC.. might be worthwhile just asking the part numbers from them and then trying to see if you can get it cheaper thru the traders http://fortyone.co.nz/parts/show/598/Spoon%20Sports/Monoblock%20caliper%20(1pce)%20price/set%20.html#

evolution
23-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Hahaha... all in the same boat.. Luckly I managed to at least sneek in coilover suspension. But she does see the merits in the mods especially the brakes and the body suspesion mods... "brakes alot better and it doesn't feel like the car is going to topple over when going around corners"

raz05
24-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Steve, i might be selling it at the end of the year. lol

C4M
29-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Funny - seems we are all married to the same person :) I've been told that I'm not allowed to lower it either. Then again, with 118kw, it's not like the suspension isn't up to the task with the speeds you can reasonably generate around town. If only I could find a simple way to give it the 30kw it's missing without a) breaking the bank, and b) breaking the reliability.

The finance committee has noticed that the brakes on the Oddy are not as good as those on the MY03 WRX which was her old car.

Evolution: I'd be interested in knowing the source for the BBK as well - if you were happy to indicate $$'s as well, that would be interesting - I've not done a brake conversion before, so I don't have a feel for the magnitude of the spend.

evolution
29-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Funny - seems we are all married to the same person :) I've been told that I'm not allowed to lower it either. Then again, with 118kw, it's not like the suspension isn't up to the task with the speeds you can reasonably generate around town. If only I could find a simple way to give it the 30kw it's missing without a) breaking the bank, and b) breaking the reliability.

The finance committee has noticed that the brakes on the Oddy are not as good as those on the MY03 WRX which was her old car.

Evolution: I'd be interested in knowing the source for the BBK as well - if you were happy to indicate $$'s as well, that would be interesting - I've not done a brake conversion before, so I don't have a feel for the magnitude of the spend.

Wouldn't mind telling you guys, but I doubt it will help as all my parts were bought in Singapore and shipped over by my brother, so unless you've got somebody to ship the stuff for you, you still may not be able to get the parts in.

The BBK is from a Taiwanese company called JBT, model is mini/small 4 piston calliper set with 330mm slotted rotors. I got the set for roughly AUD$1500 inc shipping. This kit is a direct bolt on without the need to change any other parts. I tried other sources as well before getting the set from Singapore, but all seemed abit pricey.

I e-mailed JBT themsleves, almost ordered their full 4 piston set with 345mm rotors and braided lines...quoted USD$1995 not inc shipping yet. I cancelled the order when I found the mini 4 set.
I also tried asking for Project Mu normal 4 piston BBK before and it was roughly about AUD$3k not including shipping from the Oz Project Mu distributor.
Looked at AP racing...roughly AUD$4k

So as you can see, BBK are not cheap, plus to fit the BBk, you will have to change Rims to min 17" to fit and the rim offset and design will also be part of the consideration. Next best thing to a BBK is to just change the Brake pads and brake rotors.

But the safety the upgraded BBK gives is well worth it.

Hope this helps

AusAccord
30-04-2008, 08:52 AM
great info Evo, it helps me to decide which way to go, tks again. i was quoted Greddy 4 pot for AUD3k supplied n fitted but problem is 18" rim to be used which lose the ride comfort esp Sydney roads.

C4M
30-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Wouldn't mind telling you guys, but I doubt it will help as all my parts were bought in Singapore and shipped over by my brother, so unless you've got somebody to ship the stuff for you, you still may not be able to get the parts in.

<snip>Thanks Evo - useful to have in the forum to draw on in the future should the opportunity present.

C!

St33p
30-04-2008, 10:25 AM
i'm watching this discussion with a lot of interest.
I too feel the brake in odyssey could do better, but still think BBK is a bit too much.
I recently replaced brake pads in our Audi to EBC greenpads and the mechanic offer to find out if there's part for Odyssey.
When I hear more, I'll post it here.

St33p
01-05-2008, 03:47 PM
no EBC for Honda Odyssey :thumbdwn: :(
the search continues

baboo
01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Try Japanese brake pads.

Endless, Project Mu....etc

Any pads that fits Accord EURO will fit the Odyssey. They run the same front brake setup.

AusAccord
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Try Japanese brake pads.

Endless, Project Mu....etc

Any pads that fits Accord EURO will fit the Odyssey. They run the same front brake setup.

does that means the calipers on Euro is the same as Odyssey? on the other hand, the mounting bracket and caliper are the same?

baboo
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
might need to clarify, I meant they run the same size and shape brake pads.

Mounting bracket might be different.

AusAccord
01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
ic, read yr post again and i mis-understood sorry......

SPEEDCORE
02-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Steve long time buddy... an Oddy ay :D

Thought you would have been more tempted with the new Accord V6.

baboo
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Adrian,

How's going? finish building your house?

Need a 7 seaters mate! the choice is pretty limited it's either Ody, Tarago, Nimbus...etc and you know I'm a HONDA man!

I like the look of the new Accord more than the new Accord Euro.

SPEEDCORE
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I like the look of the new Accord more than the new Accord Euro.

I am totally with you on that one.

Yeah house is good.. been in there for almost a year now, and got a little one on the way, thus my interest/need for something bigger.

I thought there was a ody replacement on the way sometime this year or am I getting confused with the USA one and our one is still a few years off from being replaced? :confused:

baboo
02-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Congrats!! boy or girl? I got a little 6 month old girl, babies are a handful.

I think the one came out this year is the USA version, it's a fugly piece of lump. No mention of JDM Odyssey replacement, maybe 2009 or 2010?

I personally like the current generation Accord Euro, Ody, Jazz...etc The lines are more elegant and refined. The new Hondas are too musculant, and the interior is too much for me.