PDA

View Full Version : ek4 headlight problem

AndreaCivic
21-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Hello all,

Hoping i can get some help regarding my headlights.

On my car (EK4) i have three headlight settings; OFF, Regular & High.

The High beams work fine but my regulars just aren't bright enough to light up the road.

When my regular beams are on, the small globe within the headlight is the only one which lights up.

Is this the same for all EKs?

I replaced my main headlight bulbs over the weekend and also searched this forum but could not find an answer..

vinnY
21-04-2008, 04:17 PM
the low beam and high beam are from the same bulb
its usually off, parkers(tiny bulbs you see in there too) and headlights(pull on level to get high beams)

dahon
21-04-2008, 04:24 PM
yep vinnys right about the settings.
the high beam activates when you pull the light controller thingy towards you, while the rest of the light settings are adjusted using the knob on the controller.
if your park lights are on, but your low beam isnt turning on, and high beam working, (considering you just changed your lights) i suggest you check your headlight wiring or the bulb type.
from memory its h4 type?

ATSE
22-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Looks like you are getting confused with low beam and high beam.

As stated:

Off, Parker, Low Beam and to get high beam you pull the lever and your cluster will have a blue symbol come on indicating your high beams are on.

MRGRIM
24-04-2008, 02:47 PM
um how bout being silly and check your fuse 1st mmmmmmmm

dc2dc2dc2
24-04-2008, 02:49 PM
lolz why would u bother checking the fuse?
like others have said
off/parkers/low beam

parkers are meant to be dim and not used for driving only time i use it is drive-in movies so i don't distract others but they can still see that im coming.
Or im outside mates house and don't wanna wake parents/family members up with low beams on.

So dont' worry man.
Its normal.

EDIT:
I had to add.
i cannot believe u wasted money on new bulbs.

EKVTIR-T
24-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like he thinks the parkers are the low-beam and low-beam is his hi-beam lol.
Man turn the light switch 2 clicks for driving and pull back on the shaft for hi-beam or push the shaft forward and click for continuous hi-beam.

AndreaCivic
24-04-2008, 04:32 PM
i think what happenned is the old owner knew the low beams were blown so he had the permanant high beams on. so when i clicked twice over it would give me high beams (and the blue light in my cluster).
looking at the old bulbs i replaced, the fillament was corroded in the same place on both bulbs..
so i thought replacing them would do the trick..
EKVTI-R-T you are right, i thought the parkers were low beams. so when i originally tested the lights after replacing them and they didnt light up after the first click - i thought they didnt work.
i took permanent high beams off and now all settings work perfect.
dc2dc2dc2 i dont think the bulbs were a complete waste but it is debatable whether the corrosion i spotted was a blown fillament or whether im a massive noob and didn't flick enough settings to begin with..
thanks to vinnY for getting me sorted out and all those who contributed..

dc2dc2dc2
24-04-2008, 04:34 PM
lol
good work.
as long as ur car is working fine
thats all that matters

MRGRIM
26-04-2008, 05:34 AM
just to let you know what you where lookin at re the bulbs is oxidisation and is caused buy the gas burning the filliment in the globe it dont mean its blown this is a norm prosess from when the filliment has impuritys from the factory

if i was you i would look into testing the old globes to see if they where blown at all

another big cause of this oxidising is due to a poor earth (negative) to the globe and can cause lower voltage and a loss of good strong light

well i hope ive helped

AndreaCivic
28-04-2008, 08:44 AM
thanks MRGRIM very helpfull there.. It is a bit coincidental that they were both blown when i bought the car so you could be right. If they blow or fade in future i'll know the root of the cause is bad earthing..
cheers