PDA

View Full Version : What height are my Coilovers at?

Bassik
23-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I new to this kinda of stuff. I recently bought a DC2 and it has TEIN Flex Coil overs installed and I want to know what setting they are on. Is there a way to find this out?

The guy that sold me the car told me you can adjust the height that you want with this little green key thingy. I'm not going to touch them because he mentioned I could possibly ruin the suspension. I just want to know what setting they are at now so I know if I can go higher or lower?

Thanks guys.

Aleksi
23-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, as far as I know there is no way of determining the height level, except for taking the wheels off, and checking how much further you can wind the spring holder down or up. This is where the "key" that you have comes in handy. The lower the wind-down, the lower the car will sit.

As for the 'setting', this refers to the damper setting. IE: the softness of the ride. You are able to adjust the damper, using the nob on the top of the coilovers. Front ones are visible when you open your bonnet and look at the coilover fitting, and in the boot, move the covering, and adjust it there.

Hope that helps..

Bassik
24-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah that's the part the guy told me not to touch. He said I can ruin the whole suspension if I do it wrong. So I rather not touch it.

So other then that there is no way to determined what height my car is now?
Does anyone know the standard height from the ground is then. I'll compare the different with stock suspension.

Cheers

aaronng
24-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah that's the part the guy told me not to touch. He said I can ruin the whole suspension if I do it wrong. So I rather not touch it.

Yes, because your Tein Flex has 22 clicks on that damper setting, but you can only use the first 16 starting from fully clockwise. If you drive using a setting that is over 16 clicks anti-clockwise, you risk damaging the valving inside the damper.

Bassik
24-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Do you have idea what the purpose of these suspensions is used for. I mean I don't track the car or race it. It's a complete street car.

Whats the difference to normal stock suspension? And standard installation is it automatically a ruff ride, because I wouldn't mind keeping them if I could just adjust it so it seems like its stock.

aaronng
24-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Do you have idea what the purpose of these suspensions is used for. I mean I don't track the car or race it. It's a complete street car.

Whats the difference to normal stock suspension? And standard installation is it automatically a ruff ride, because I wouldn't mind keeping them if I could just adjust it so it seems like its stock.
With Flex, it is meant to be for track/street. Even the softest setting is very much harder than stock because the springs are stiffer (on my car, the Tein Flex spring rate is about 3-4 times of stock!). If you want it to be comfortable like stock, you need Tein SS or Tein CS. Having said that, is your DC2 a Type R or VTIR? If it is a Type R, stock is already pretty bumpy.

Bassik
24-04-2008, 12:00 PM
With Flex, it is meant to be for track/street. Even the softest setting is very much harder than stock because the springs are stiffer (on my car, the Tein Flex spring rate is about 3-4 times of stock!). If you want it to be comfortable like stock, you need Tein SS or Tein CS. Having said that, is your DC2 a Type R or VTIR? If it is a Type R, stock is already pretty bumpy.

Oh ok so the option is back to stock really? I have the stock shocks. I got them with the car. The DC2 is a Type R as well. I was going to get 17" with it as well so I know the car will be even harder after that. Would be a pretty bumpy ride.

aaronng
24-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Oh ok so the option is back to stock really? I have the stock shocks. I got them with the car. The DC2 is a Type R as well. I was going to get 17" with it as well so I know the car will be even harder after that. Would be a pretty bumpy ride.

You could go back to stock and sell the Flex for a nice amount of cash. I'd seriously ask if any of your friends have a DC2R with stock suspension and go for a ride so you can find out if there is a big improvement.

Bassik
24-04-2008, 12:58 PM
You could go back to stock and sell the Flex for a nice amount of cash. I'd seriously ask if any of your friends have a DC2R with stock suspension and go for a ride so you can find out if there is a big improvement.

Funny you say that because this is my second Type R (First one was stolen) and they were stock shocks with 17"'s on them. Well I think they were 17"s can't remember. Actually come to think about it. Heres a pic with my old DC2 rims on it. What do you think they are.

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00206es5.jpg

So I know how a stock DC2 rides. After getting my second I just can't stand the roughness. I don't mind if it's slight but I know with 17"s it will be a lot worse.

EKVTIR-T
24-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Try using the softest setting for a start.
See how that feels before swapping them out.

aaronng
24-04-2008, 02:28 PM
^^ yup, give that a go. Turn the damper fully clockwise, and then turn counterclockwise, counting the number of steps. Softest should be 15 clicks anti-clockwise.

Bassik
24-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Haha... nah I ain't touching it at all... Wait for mechanics to touch it.

Thanks though... I rather not stuff it up...

EKVTIR-T
24-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Dude you don't need a mechanic to adjust the damper setting...
Can't you follow aaronng's simple instruction?

aaronng
24-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Haha... nah I ain't touching it at all... Wait for mechanics to touch it.

Thanks though... I rather not stuff it up...

If he does it for free, that's fine. But if he is charging you to turn a knob, then do it yourself.

Bassik
24-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Dude you don't need a mechanic to adjust the damper setting...
Can't you follow aaronng's simple instruction?

Well my mum's BF is a mechanic and I can ask him to do it when I get home, when I get home.

aaronng
24-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Well my mum's BF is a mechanic and I can ask him to do it when I get home, when I get home.

Mechanics don't know the differences between coilovers. So I bet you he will turn it all the way anti-clockwise as he thinks that is the softest setting and you will drive around and damage the coilovers.

You don't trust yourself to turn a knob 15 clicks anti-clockwise?

jords
24-04-2008, 10:01 PM
would this be the same for a set of HA's

aaronng
24-04-2008, 10:19 PM
would this be the same for a set of HA's
Check the instruction manual, it is written in there. I can't find the HA instruction manual online anymore because it has been discontinued.

jords
24-04-2008, 10:25 PM
no manual aaronng, does anyone know?

Bassik
25-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Yeah I have a manual I will read into that and attempt it. I just don't know what I am dealing with... Like where are the "clicks" now. If I turn 15 clicks I maybe on 10 already thus damaging the coilovers.

I'll look at the manual... It's just that the guy who I bought it off couldn't stress enough "Not to touch the suspension" let a pro do it.

aaronng
25-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah I have a manual I will read into that and attempt it. I just don't know what I am dealing with... Like where are the "clicks" now. If I turn 15 clicks I maybe on 10 already thus damaging the coilovers.

I'll look at the manual... It's just that the guy who I bought it off couldn't stress enough "Not to touch the suspension" let a pro do it.

As I said, turn it fully clockwise til you can't turn it anymore. That is the stiffest setting. You can then turn up to 15 clicks anti-clockwise to go softer. Always go full clockwise first before turning it anti-clockwise if you want to be sure you are at a safe setting.

Bassik
27-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Well tested it and the front suspension was at the softest testing. I guess this is just to hard for me. Maybe need to go back to standard.

ap
27-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I have the standard suspension if your looking to swap

Bassik
28-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah sorry man I have the standard suspension as well. I was just thinking these are height adjustable as well aren't they?

Does that tend to make the ride a little less bumpier?

aaronng
28-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah sorry man I have the standard suspension as well. I was just thinking these are height adjustable as well aren't they?

Does that tend to make the ride a little less bumpier?

Nope, I have mine height adjusted to only a 1" drop, and the spring preload set back to Tein factory specs as well. It is still bumpy.....

Like I said, if you don't need coilovers, just put your stock ones back on and sell the Flex for a good amount (above $1k :))

Bassik
28-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Nope, I have mine height adjusted to only a 1" drop, and the spring preload set back to Tein factory specs as well. It is still bumpy.....

Like I said, if you don't need coilovers, just put your stock ones back on and sell the Flex for a good amount (above $1k :))

Shit $1K above. Oh ok thats awesome. Yeah I want my softer ride and nice 17" rims back on! I couldn't imagine what it would be like with 17" on.

So you have a set of pair or TEIN Flex's as well? What rims you got on it?

aaronng
28-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Shit $1K above. Oh ok thats awesome. Yeah I want my softer ride and nice 17" rims back on! I couldn't imagine what it would be like with 17" on.

So you have a set of pair or TEIN Flex's as well? What rims you got on it?

I have Flex, but my car is not a DC2R. I'm using the stock 16" with 205/55 R16 tyres and they are bumpy and uncomfortable. hahaha. I even go out of my way to pay tolls to avoid shitty roads like Parra rd at Auburn.

Bassik
28-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I have Flex, but my car is not a DC2R. I'm using the stock 16" with 205/55 R16 tyres and they are bumpy and uncomfortable. hahaha. I even go out of my way to pay tolls to avoid shitty roads like Parra rd at Auburn.

Yeah I would to. Parra Rd is a ruff ass road. Smooth roads is when it pays to have nice suspension. But general use and day to day travel I can't handle it. Not to mention the extra noises in within the car.

Well I might get a bit of money coming up soon.

Elwood
28-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Ill buy the Tein Flex off you if you want, im looking for some.

If interested PM me.

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh my godddd...

I was trying to hold back from this... but I can't any longer. Why buy a Type R if you want a smooth soft ride? Sell up for a Accord Euro, they are nice comfortable cars.

If I were you, I would go buy some softer springs for the shocks, and set the Dampers to the softest setting. That way you have a low car, with good sussy, and it's soft too! :)
If not sell to Elwood, he'd make good use of them as they are.

Bassik
29-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Oh my godddd...

I was trying to hold back from this... but I can't any longer. Why buy a Type R if you want a smooth soft ride? Sell up for a Accord Euro, they are nice comfortable cars.

If I were you, I would go buy some softer springs for the shocks, and set the Dampers to the softest setting. That way you have a low car, with good sussy, and it's soft too! :)

Haha.... Well firstly I don't want a Accord. I wanted a Type R DC2. I don't buy cars based on how soft the ride is. This car had after market suspension in it and I want to be able to work around getting them out of settling for a adjustment to make them softer.

The setting that is on there now is at its softest (16).

So your telling me you can combined any shock with the dampers on these?

aaronng
29-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh my godddd...

He has owned a Type R previously with stock suspension and was happy with the ride with 17". This new Type R with Flex is too stiff for him. Nothing wrong with selling the Flex and putting in the stock suspension. The Flex came with the car, he didn't add them on afterwards.

aaronng
29-04-2008, 02:45 PM
So your telling me you can combined any shock with the dampers on these?
Yes, you can usually use different spring and shock combos. But of course, if you use a shock that is not matched to the spring rate, the ride is shit. This is what happens when people use super low King springs on stock shocks. I would prefer to use the stock Type R suspension over an aftermarket combo, especially if King springs are involved. :)

Bassik
29-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes, you can usually use different spring and shock combos. But of course, if you use a shock that is not matched to the spring rate, the ride is shit. This is what happens when people use super low King springs on stock shocks. I would prefer to use the stock Type R suspension over an aftermarket combo, especially if King springs are involved. :)

Yeah thanks for the head up. So I take it I should sell these and settle for stock springs.

I know what my last DC2 was like and it was fine. I do admit that my current car does handle a lot better then my old one. Would you advise that I could lower the stock springs, say like 1 inch?

Just seems like a waste to have such nice suspension on a car and I want to throw them away. But saying that putting 17"s on here would make it 10 times worse...??

EKVTIR-T
29-04-2008, 03:41 PM
You could keep the teins and use softer rate spirings and retain height adjustment.
Maybe the superstreet springs would suit you better.

aaronng
29-04-2008, 03:59 PM
You could keep the teins and use softer rate spirings and retain height adjustment.
Maybe the superstreet springs would suit you better.

You'd end up with overdamped suspension... not fun.

aaronng
29-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah thanks for the head up. So I take it I should sell these and settle for stock springs.

I know what my last DC2 was like and it was fine. I do admit that my current car does handle a lot better then my old one. Would you advise that I could lower the stock springs, say like 1 inch?

Just seems like a waste to have such nice suspension on a car and I want to throw them away. But saying that putting 17"s on here would make it 10 times worse...??

If you really can't live with the ride harshness, then there isn't much choice... Do you want to lower your car from stock height? Or is stock height alright for you?

Won't be a waste if you sell it to someone who uses it. :) I reckon it is more of a waste to have Flex on your car, suffer the harshness and not make full use of the handling potential on track.

EKVTIR-T
29-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Surely the softest damper setting could accommodate a few kgmm lower springs?
Seems like a few people are saying remove and sell purely for others benefit ie to buy his Teins..

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Just sell the Flex and buy some SS. It'll do you just fine.

Ride height with stock sussy, and 17's is like a 4WD!!!! :) Dunno why you'd do that. stick with 15's or max 16's IMHO. But that's jsut me... I think you're being soft. hahahaha. sorry.

EKVTIR-T
29-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Just sell the Flex and buy some SS. It'll do you just fine.

Ride height with stock sussy, and 17's is like a 4WD!!!! :) Dunno why you'd do that. stick with 15's or max 16's IMHO. But that's jsut me... I think you're being soft. hahahaha. sorry.

Why should he make choices based on what you like?

Go give some more false info in the tech threads ok lol :wave:

aaronng
29-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Surely the softest damper setting could accommodate a few kgmm lower springs?
Seems like a few people are saying remove and sell purely for others benefit ie to buy his Teins..

I'm all for Tein Flex. I have that on my far comfy Accord Euro (which makes it more bumpy than a stock DC2R). If he can't accept the ride quality at the softest damper setting... then there isn't much to do short of spending more money to get SS springs (which are not commonly sold in the 2nd hand market, he will have to either swap with an SS owner or buy new ones)

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Why should he make choices based on what you like?

Go give some more false info in the tech threads ok lol :wave:

Never said that... I just said he's soft LOL.

LOL @ False info.

Bassik
29-04-2008, 04:38 PM
No well my main reason is this is my second Type R DC2. My last one got stolen at my work. I loved it and it was what I wanted back. Since then I drove to Melbourne to buy a new one because there is none up here in Sydney and if they are there beaten up and over priced.

So coming back to my point. I didn't mind the 17"s on my old TEG I must say you are right it looked weird on stock springs and 4X4 like But it looked better then my current one. So thats why I am trying to meet half way or work something out where I can get the look again but still have the advantages of handling I have now...

Get me!

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah... I know. I just dont like 17's on DC2's. That's personal preference though! If you like it, that's awsome!

Did you want height adjustable coilovers though? If so, i'd go with Tein SS.. they are Super Soft (hehe) and great for the street - also able to lower.

Bassik
29-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Never said that... I just said he's soft LOL.

LOL @ False info.

Haha... I'm not soft I just don't like a bumpy ride and my last TEG had 17"s on it and wasn't this bumpy at all... So my only assumption is that chucking another set of 17"s on this would be a crap load worse. I'm fine with the way it drives now and I would probably live with it (would have avoid parra rd etc) but with 17"s no way.

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Haha... I'm not soft

Dude... I was kidding. hehe.

aaronng
29-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah... I know. I just dont like 17's on DC2's. That's personal preference though! If you like it, that's awsome!

Did you want height adjustable coilovers though? If so, i'd go with Tein SS.. they are Super Soft (hehe) and great for the street - also able to lower.

SS = Super Street

Bassik
29-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Well I would consider SS if someone would want to swap. I'm not sure I can afford them atm. I'm planning on a holiday overseas in the next couple of weeks.

These are my old rims on my TEG. I don't know what size they are because it came like that from Honda. Then my new TEG with the standard rims. Me like the old ones a lot better.

ricki_kalsi
29-04-2008, 04:51 PM
SS = Super Street

I know hense, the (hehe)

marky53
29-04-2008, 05:11 PM
mate you are fortunate to have picked up a dc2r with a set a set of quality coilovers.... my advice would be to keep them, get a good wheel/tyre combo and set it up for what best suits your daily driving comfort levels.....

Most people here would advise against any larger than 16'. Sounds like money isnt available, maybe go back to stockies like dc2r or even dc5r like me.....

aaronng
29-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I know hense, the (hehe)

Ahhhh.. I missed that. My bad.
I wonder if they make CS for DC2R. That name sounds better. (Comfort Sports)

Bassik
29-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I actually don't mind 16"s but I would still think it would increase the stiff riding experience...!

If I raise these Flex coilovers would that change anything? Bumpiness wise?

aaronng
29-04-2008, 10:01 PM
If I raise these Flex coilovers would that change anything? Bumpiness wise?
Well, firstly check that the spring preload is correct. You can get the DC2R Flex manual and set the lower spring perch back to stock position, which should give optimal damping.. Then you adjust the height back to how you like it using the lower shock body mount.