PDA

View Full Version : Engineering of forced mods

Weq
27-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Heyas,
just as a spin-off of my last thread on turbo kits, i was wondering if an engineering cert. would need to be issued if i was install a kit onto my civic. Also if anyone has a likly cost, it would be great.
Thnaks

BLKCRX
27-10-2003, 11:44 PM
you need to have all your parts of the parts previously ADR 37 tested by a and a workshop that carried out the work do do the work for you, if you don't have ADR papers most if not all engineering’s are not allowed to write certificates us.
So make sure your turbo / ecu / things you change have been ADR tested before. then it should be easy.
Iv just gone thow the process of fully ADR 37 my car making it 100% legal.

Regards James

Weq
28-10-2003, 12:04 AM
well the kit is from the US. What needs to be tested specfically? The turbo? manifold? Piping? Exhaust gases? All I know is its fully compliant over in the US, i would not have thought its been tested for australian standards unless we use a subset of an international standard..? As far as workshops are concerned, i will be doing in the install myself, either way i heard u have to use a RTA certified engineer none the less.

I was always under the impression that i would need engineering certs for things that modified the integrity of the chasis/body/safty features like seats/steering wheels etc etc..

poid
28-10-2003, 07:21 AM
You'll definitely need a cert for it...exactly what you need to do will be best found out by talking to the RTA. It should be relatively simple to get it engineered and legal as far as the conversion goes, though emissions may cause some issues.

From talking to the RTA here in the ACT it seems relatively painless

simple matt
28-10-2003, 09:07 PM
hey weq

in qld... i found it too easy to get it sorta (not the first time...first people wanted to play difficult).... up here we have mechanics/engineers/workshops that licensed with QLD transport. They provide modification cert/plates. i got my new motor in, everything hooked up and boostn (i was driving round for a bit b4 i got it legal). my guy looked over the car in the car park, no hassles, i had to get 3 different mod codes $70 each ... new engine, new g/box and turbo/exhaust mods.

no testing of anything.... u prob will find people that are really gay about the whole issue.... the first guy wanted me to prove that car put out no more than 25% more power than std (that wasnt possible) plus get an emissions test... Fat chance!! EMS + crazy sulphur smell

i hope that helps people wanting to drive into qld! these people like disc brakes all round and the work done properly...std looking helps heaps!

fueltank
28-10-2003, 10:04 PM
there is a list of RTA approved engineering places that can approve your mods. The AVO kits might already be approved as a kit???? You might wanna look into that?

Weq
28-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Yer the AVO kit is approved, but will cost over 1K more. Anyone recommend a place in Sydney that i should goto? Thanks for the feedback.

fueltank
29-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Yer the AVO kit is approved, but will cost over 1K more. Anyone recommend a place in Sydney that i should goto? Thanks for the feedback.

To get your car engineered, to that level it might be cheaper to go the AVO kit. :?:

Weq
29-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I seriously doubt it. Ive seen engineers reports for things like brakes/engines/trannies/axels etc on one car amount to 550. and i'm even going to replace a single thing!

edit: AVO turbokit is actually (stage 1) is actually $1800 more.

wynode
29-10-2003, 04:08 PM

Have you tried Cybermotor sports in Sydney? I can't remember where I put the contact details but try PMing phatman on OCAU (better still email him) and he can hook you up with Danny here in Sydney.

poid
29-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Cyber use Good Performance for their engine work as far as i know :wink:

fueltank
30-10-2003, 10:02 AM
I seriously doubt it. Ive seen engineers reports for things like brakes/engines/trannies/axels etc on one car amount to 550. and i'm even going to replace a single thing!

edit: AVO turbokit is actually (stage 1) is actually $1800 more.

Was that engineer 'RTA Approved' :?:
Only certificates from RTA approved engineering places will be accepted by the RTA.

Weq
30-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Yes.

simple matt
31-10-2003, 06:29 PM
sounds likee u boys down south have it tuff

no one uses the term engineer up here.... none of my parts or set up is approved!?!

PROturboCIVIC
27-11-2003, 05:57 PM
well when i was sourcing an engineer for my car(whole different motor) all i was told by the RTA was that aslong as the engineer had a valid vehicle approval certificate or something like that, then they were fine to use.....

could be the same thing as an RTA approval... :?: :?:

Weq
27-11-2003, 08:47 PM
What area are u in, did u find someone to do it? Ive been in contact with the guys at online, and they have been very helpful saying that i should only need to pass a EPA test. But i still havnt had any recommendations on who to goto? I know the name of a local RTA approved engineer, but it doesnt really help much as in this industy ppl can easily take u for a ride. Id much rather a recommendation from someone :)

CHU85
02-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah u guys do have it tough. Up here in brissie, i just left my car at a mechanic that is certified and it only took him 1 hour and $120 of my cash for 2 mods i had done, turbo kit and h22a engine.

SleeperCivicEX
02-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Yeah u guys do have it tough. Up here in brissie, i just left my car at a mechanic that is certified and it only took him 1 hour and $120 of my cash for 2 mods i had done, turbo kit and h22a engine.

I'd like to see some pics of your setup, please email me some or post them here so we can all enjoy it!

CHU85
03-12-2003, 08:24 PM
will do