PDA

View Full Version : vtec e

ekd16y5
25-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Does vtec-e suppose to scream? if it doesnt how do you test that it is working?

Leprechaun
25-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Test your vtec is working? maybe try this diy?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54049

trism
25-04-2008, 03:05 PM
if you feel the sudden urge to say "vtec just kicked in y0" then it works.

if you dont feel the need, then its broke

TheSaint
25-04-2008, 03:43 PM
whats vtec-e?

T-onedc2
25-04-2008, 03:46 PM
if you feel the sudden urge to say "vtec just kicked in y0" then it works.

if you dont feel the need, then its broke
As much as that comment is spam, it's very true lol

The vtec e is basically the "economical" version for optimum fuel efficiency, don't expect anything special like a kick in the pants at xxxx rpm, you shouldn't feel any changes. Sorry I can't be more technical about this particular engine.

EDIT: This thread may help
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49529&highlight=vtec+economical

teh_mechanic
25-04-2008, 04:41 PM
to answer your question,no it does not 'scream' like the b series engines do for instance.
this version of vtec is based more towards fuel economy rather than aggressive performance,it is a more linear engagement of vtec unlike the on or off feeling you get from the b series.
you should be able to hear a slight,and i mean slight, change in intake noise up in the higher rpm,but its hard to describe

CB7_OWNER
25-04-2008, 05:54 PM
yeh, you cant compare to DOHC vtec...the timing is diff, and the scream is almost not even there...

aaronng
25-04-2008, 11:43 PM
vtec-e doesn't have an aggressive cam lobe. All it does is probably disable 1 intake valve to improve mixing.

I heart the SSS
26-04-2008, 12:33 AM
It's pretty much vtec on a diet..

Won't hear too much at all.

I was told you can "chip" it to make it perform better. I think it's a load of shit personally. Ask around though, maybe it's true.

TheSaint
26-04-2008, 01:13 PM
so can u put agressive vtec style cams in a e-vtec or non vtec motor?

is e-vtec better than non-vtec for performance or worse?

how much of a diff does it make on fuel econ?

dont answer with dont bother get a DOHC or dont bother turbo it, because i already know the answers to those questions, im curious about the topic at hand

aaronng
26-04-2008, 01:21 PM
so can u put agressive vtec style cams in a e-vtec or non vtec motor?

is e-vtec better than non-vtec for performance or worse?

how much of a diff does it make on fuel econ?

dont answer with dont bother get a DOHC or dont bother turbo it, because i already know the answers to those questions, im curious about the topic at hand

You probably won't find aggressive 3-lobe cams for the d series. Plus, I suspect that the exhaust side doesn't have the vtec mechanism. By the time you get cams, tunable ecu and get it tuned, you'd be more out of pocket than getting a b16a.