PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic Honda experience

Coops
25-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi all just wondering if anyone know of a mechanic on the sunshine coast QLD with a bit of honda experience just need this problem fixed as cheap as possible.
CHeers
Cooper

JasonGilholme
25-04-2008, 06:22 PM
whats the problem?

Maybe some of us can help??

ozhonda community > any individual mechanic :thumbsup:

Coops
25-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Well the car is extremely sluggish at low RPM almost stalls at idle and cant hold any water at all not sure where it goes exactly when you fill the radiator theres pressure pushing the water back out and coincidentally this means the car overheats in about 5 minutes.

JasonGilholme
25-04-2008, 06:26 PM
righto,

are you filling it up with the car off?? have you checked your radiator cap? might not be holding pressure etc.

what year civic is it??

The more details you give the better chance you have of getting the correct answer.

Coops
25-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Its an EJ8 with a 2000 D16y4 i fill it up with the car running and the caps good but when its on, the water boils and the pressure escapes through the overflow bottle.

JasonGilholme
25-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Fill it with the car off. fill the radiator all the way up (up to the brim) and fill the overflow bottle up to the low mark

Run the car in the garage (with the garage door open) until the thermo fan kicks in twice. Then fill the overflow bottle up to the top mark and let her cool down.

By the time she's cooled down it should have sucked the fluid out of the overflow bottle down to the low mark.

It sounds like you've either got a massive air pocket in the coolant system and/or a faulty radiator cap.

Anyone feel free to correct me etc etc. This is the process i used when putting my engine back in the car. (it worked for me)

Coops
25-04-2008, 06:47 PM
but when i start the car all the water in the radiator bursts out....
cooper

lenz
25-04-2008, 08:26 PM
sounds like your head gasket is gone

Coops
25-04-2008, 08:37 PM
that was my first thought to

rayb3na_
25-04-2008, 10:58 PM
oooft gg headgasket blown o0

Coops
26-04-2008, 09:35 AM
so should i get a torque wrench and do the head gasket myself or get a mechanic to do it?

teh_mechanic
27-04-2008, 01:10 PM
classic blown head gasket symptoms. in my opinion,not to be rude,but if you feel confident and have the time to do it,then sure give it a try,but it is risky as there are several little things when changing a head gasket that if you f### 1 up the whole job will be a disaster.

i would take it to a mechanic...or if you can get down to brisbane id be happy to do it for you at a cheap price,probably isnt worth it though,as the head needs to be taken off,sent to a machining business to ensure the head is perfectly straight before the new gasket goes on,takes a couple of days to complete the job because of the machining outsourcing

Coops
27-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Well the car is now on the sunshine coast (QLD) so if anyone know of anyone around here please let me know cheers.
Coops