PDA

View Full Version : Best value carbon parts for EG hatch?

STiR
26-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey guys,

I've stripped the interior and wanting to further reduce the weight on my civic breeze. There is no better way to increase performance, economy and component longevity!

I am currently searching for the following items:
-carbon fiber front bonnet
-carbon fiber side mirrors
-carbon fiber rear hatch
-carbon fiber rear wing

Don't want carbon fiber doors just yet... rather, can't AFFORD to want just yet!

If anyone has a particular type/brand of these parts, please advice on quality, fitment (good or bad), WEIGHT (very important), price and where to buy.

cheers
Shiraz

shadou
26-04-2008, 01:58 AM
... .... ... .... ...
Honestly if I were you I would only look at replacing the bonnet as it is the HEAVIEST item amongst.

If you were to replace all stated items you would be spending too much for little weight loss gain.
Chase up Modproject in the trader section they sell CF bonnets at a resonable price

SXC-84K
26-04-2008, 04:08 AM
no wing weighs less than a cf wing... so in getting the cf wing ur really actually wanting it for looks/wank factor but as u stated above u want the least possible weight possible to increase blah blah etc just take the wing off

STiR
26-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Probably right guys, I might go for spoon-style plastic mirrors and just change the front bonnet in carbon, and look elsewhere for weight savings. The wing is useful at high speed no doubt about it though.

NightKids
26-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh you can still get the wing because it looks nicer than stock anyway. But if you see it as a performance point of view then don't expect it to help you heaps that's all. Spoon wings still look great....

STiR
26-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Anyone got any experience with carbon rear hatch?

rayb3na_
26-04-2008, 01:00 PM
they are lighter what else did u want to know? lol have u thought about getting cf front quarter panels? ;]

connorling
26-04-2008, 02:46 PM
i just got a bonnent install, i have to admit, i could just pick the oem bonnet off the car, but i can pick the cf bonnet up with one hand, it looks great and feels a bit different, i am going to time my 0-100km/h time, before it was 6.28sec, with this new bonnet and new tyres, i think i can break down to top 5sec, hopefully.....

connorling
26-04-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85642

this guy sell some carbon filber parts, but it is in perth, ask for shipping.
i got my cf bonnet from him, it looks great, got a lot of different cf stuff.

rice_civic
26-04-2008, 07:38 PM
where do you plan on going fast enough to need the downforce of the wing?

STiR
26-04-2008, 08:20 PM
No prizes for guessing mate...

MM89
27-04-2008, 12:19 AM
If your main priority is shaving weight off, there could be other things to be done. considered taking off a/c and p/s? parts you may have missed on interior, such as centre console? carpet? interior door panels? sound system? replacing stock exhaust with titanium usually sheds off quite a bit too.

Removing some of these parts may not shave off many kilos but at least its free and surely if you're serious about shaving off weight, you wouldn't be fussed about the luxuries that once came with the car. Unless you wanted these carbon fibre items solely for looks, you should consider what else you can take off before going cf.

After all, unless you're taking off like more than 50kg, it's not like it will make THAT much of a difference. Fuel economy? Try putting more pressure in your tyres, use a better engine oil, premium petrol if not already. Increase performance? You'll only be getting a better power to weight ratio and slight differences in handling characteristics due to the decrease in weight in the particular parts of the vehicle. Want more performance? Modify it with parts that will provide the power gains you want..

shadou
27-04-2008, 12:23 AM
you might want to consult with your state road authorities on the issue of bare interior as well.

Sydsyd
27-04-2008, 12:26 AM
have u done any mods on handling, since the breeze didn't come with any sway bars...

STiR
27-04-2008, 02:15 AM
This breeze isn't your ordinary garden variety :) The suspension set up is worth more than the car haha. TODA fightex + DC2 R goodness + Skunk2 camber kits etc. etc.

I am looking at these carbon parts as part of a total weight-saving 'diet' plan. The breeze was very light to start with, about 950kg i believe, however beefier engine and driveline (driveshafts, hubs, brakes etc.) have added a bit of weight.

Fuel economy was mentioned as an aside. It's not a primary driving force. Performance is however. Don't under-estimate the significant of weight in performance. 125kw atw with 1020kg is different to 125kw atw with 900kg...

I believe stock bonnet weighs around 13.x kg (googled) and spoon bonnet about half of that. That's a significant weight saving from the front end. Naturally if you can find savings like that then you take them, but smaller much cheaper savings are important too. Like removed carpets, etc.

STiR
27-04-2008, 02:52 AM
If your main priority is shaving weight off, there could be other things to be done. considered taking off a/c and p/s? parts you may have missed on interior, such as centre console? carpet? interior door panels? sound system? replacing stock exhaust with titanium usually sheds off quite a bit too.

Removing some of these parts may not shave off many kilos but at least its free and surely if you're serious about shaving off weight, you wouldn't be fussed about the luxuries that once came with the car. Unless you wanted these carbon fibre items solely for looks, you should consider what else you can take off before going cf.

After all, unless you're taking off like more than 50kg, it's not like it will make THAT much of a difference. Fuel economy? Try putting more pressure in your tyres, use a better engine oil, premium petrol if not already. Increase performance? You'll only be getting a better power to weight ratio and slight differences in handling characteristics due to the decrease in weight in the particular parts of the vehicle. Want more performance? Modify it with parts that will provide the power gains you want..

Already taken out quite a bit, but looking for total 70kg weight savings...

STiR
27-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Why on earth is this in a NOOB forum? What is NOOB about this?

Sydsyd
27-04-2008, 10:07 AM
wow, i like what u have handling wise...wished i could afford those:(

lol i think cos u're still a noob that's why it's in the noob section:p

have u taken off the aircon and power steering units? we dunno what u've taken off apart from the interior...maybe lightweight rims too?

STiR
27-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Got lightweight rims, car has no A/C. Power steering is required as its still a daily driver. Noob...lol

shadou
27-04-2008, 01:17 PM
You can live without P/S it's not overly difficult, it's quite easy once the car is moving

STiR
27-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Only thing is that I spend a lot of time in the CBD and surrounding areas, always having to park in tight sports. Power steering is useful. I'll keep that one up my sleeve for now :)