PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if your engine is Pinging?

neut
28-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi! just wondering how do you know that ur engine is pinging?? does anyone have a specific link of this sound? can using wrong spark plugs cause the engine to ping? thanks.

STiR
28-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Some people claim to be able to hear it. I find that difficult with road noise, loud intake and exhausts etc. Your check engine light will come on if there is significantly harmful knocking/pinging occurring in your engine. There is an excellent device called 'Knocklink' which uses a bosch donut sensor (essentially a microphone) which is fitted to your block, connected to a series of green/red LEDs that will light up according to knock levels. Effectively used by many many modified EVO/WRX owners, highly recommend it if your car is modified.

bennjamin
28-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Your check engine light will come on if there is significantly harmful knocking/pinging occurring in your engine

Only on cars with a knock sensor ~

"pinging" can be heard on many cars around the streets , a prime example is cars that are generally older ( +10years) and not taken care off. You can hear them as the person driving under load , up hill or too much accel. makes a "rattle" noise as they go past.

if you are worried about "pinging" - put a higher octane fuel in your car. Or reduce the timing of the distributor. OR both

aaronng
28-04-2008, 09:31 PM
If you use spark plugs that are of hotter heat range than stock, couple that with low octane fuel, that can cause pinging.

STiR
28-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Only on cars with a knock sensor ~

"pinging" can be heard on many cars around the streets , a prime example is cars that are generally older ( +10years) and not taken care off. You can hear them as the person driving under load , up hill or too much accel. makes a "rattle" noise as they go past.

if you are worried about "pinging" - put a higher octane fuel in your car. Or reduce the timing of the distributor. OR both

Naturally, i was talking more to this fellow about his car. Good point about those going uphill, it is important that you select the correct gear when you decide to plant your foot because you will find as your engine is laboring knock levels will increase. Don't be afraid to use enough revs...

bennjamin
28-04-2008, 10:31 PM
yup nothing worse hearing a car close to you , flooring 4th gear up hill at 40km/h. The thing sounds like its going to blow up. Usually a charade / festiva / old ford driver.

teh_mechanic
28-04-2008, 10:34 PM
the closest thing that pinging sounds like is a diesel engine.
you know that low down knocka knocka knock knock
if your engine is pinging,you will hear this pinging noise easiest by putting your car in 3rd or 4th at about 30km/h and putting the accelerator all to the floor.
try to get it so the car isnt jumping and making noise,its just under a heap of load,struggling to accelerate but not getting anywhere.
if you hear the diesel kind of noise coming from your engine,you are pinging.aarrghghgh

blackshadow42
28-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi! just wondering how do you know that ur engine is pinging?? does anyone have a specific link of this sound? can using wrong spark plugs cause the engine to ping? thanks.

if your car pinging, just change your exhaust to a bigger and louder...then you won't be able to hear the pinging anymore...hauhauahuaa....

nahh...joking man...Yeah usually up hill you can hear it straight away. even in 1st gear you can hear rattling...

trism
28-04-2008, 11:07 PM
look at its headlights.

if its pupils have gone massive, you know its pinging

Spicey
29-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Pinking is easy to hear if you don't have a stupidly loud exhaust or stereo.

It sounds like a rock rattling around in the engine. Its also called 'Detonation, Knocking or pre-ignition'

Speaking from experience it can be *very* harmful to your engine so if its doing it get it checked out ASAP.

Late model electronic ignition cars usually have a "knock sensor" that detects knock and adjusts spark timing to eliminate it, hence another reason why higher octane fuels should be used in engines. Higher octane fuel is less prone to pinking so the ecu can keep the timing where it should be, creating the most power not all over the place trying to stop knocking.

One of my old V8 Fords pinks quite bad on regular or poor quality fuel, but runs perfect on premium unleaded. Fuel does make a big difference for pinking. But if your late model "computer controlled" engine is still pinking on good quality fuel, I would be getting it to a mechanic quick-smart.

Mr_will
29-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Pinking is easy to hear if you don't have a stupidly loud exhaust or stereo.

It sounds like a rock rattling around in the engine. Its also called 'Detonation, Knocking or pre-ignition'

Speaking from experience it can be *very* harmful to your engine so if its doing it get it checked out ASAP.

Late model electronic ignition cars usually have a "knock sensor" that detects knock and adjusts spark timing to eliminate it, hence another reason why higher octane fuels should be used in engines. Higher octane fuel is less prone to pinking so the ecu can keep the timing where it should be, creating the most power not all over the place trying to stop knocking.

One of my old V8 Fords pinks quite bad on regular or poor quality fuel, but runs perfect on premium unleaded. Fuel does make a big difference for pinking. But if your late model "computer controlled" engine is still pinking on good quality fuel, I would be getting it to a mechanic quick-smart.

its pinging, rather than pinking:thumbsup:

STiR
29-04-2008, 09:09 AM
In UK they also refer to pinging or knocking or detonation as pinking...

dwn_boi
29-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Some people claim to be able to hear it. I find that difficult with road noise, loud intake and exhausts etc. Your check engine light will come on if there is significantly harmful knocking/pinging occurring in your engine. There is an excellent device called 'Knocklink' which uses a bosch donut sensor (essentially a microphone) which is fitted to your block, connected to a series of green/red LEDs that will light up according to knock levels. Effectively used by many many modified EVO/WRX owners, highly recommend it if your car is modified.

orrr you can save your money and just put the metal part of a scew driver on the block and the plastic part to your ear then you can hear wats going on inside a lil better :D

look at its headlights.

lmfao!!!!! i lke this the best :D can i quote u on that :D

Spicey
29-04-2008, 10:57 AM
its pinging, rather than pinking:thumbsup:

Proper terminology is "Pinking", over time people have started saying "Pinging" :thumbsup:

I also found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9d6gMYcrFk you can hear the knocking faintly in the background

STiR
29-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Pinging makes more sense though, as you get a 'pinging' sound

dwn_boi
29-04-2008, 11:48 AM
lol the car is pinging so hard its off its head gasket :D lol duznt make sense but for a second there it sounded funny

mugsee
29-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd liken the pinging sound to a tin can with a couple of small ball bearings thrown inside and then shaken around.

aaronng
29-04-2008, 02:21 PM
orrr you can save your money and just put the metal part of a scew driver on the block and the plastic part to your ear then you can hear wats going on inside a lil better :D

Pinging happens usually under load. So unless you are hanging on to the engine bay with a screwdriver between the block and your ear with the car driving uphill at high gear, you won't be hearing it. :)

bennjamin
29-04-2008, 02:24 PM
lol - a DIY stethoscope with a long screwdriver (ear to head) is to listen to valves or injectors...not "pinking" as above :)

it will only happen when there is load on the engine , as stated by myself and others - uphill , too high gear etc.

KLOUD9
02-05-2008, 12:59 PM
look at its headlights.

hahahaha, thats gold!

vincikwan
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
after watching the video...i still cant hear the pinging or pinking.

Alpine
04-05-2008, 09:23 AM
after watching the video...i still cant hear the pinging or pinking.

I could hear it, sounded quite bad actually. And that was an older model BMW 3 Series too.

trism
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
lmfao!!!!! i lke this the best :D can i quote u on that :D

hahahaha, thats gold!

:D my pleasure

LUD35
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
lol - a DIY stethoscope with a long screwdriver (ear to head) is to listen to valves or injectors...not "pinking" as above :)

it will only happen when there is load on the engine , as stated by myself and others - uphill , too high gear etc.

My brothers turbo integra would ping its head off under any type of load IF it was a really hot day. it would ping then when it hit boost it would disappear(or maybe could not hear it vtec+turbo)

so Ben, could pinging also happen with a bad tune/heat buildup?

bennjamin
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah ofcourse it can...that is if there is too advance in teh timing etc.

pinging/pinking will destroy your brothers engine so get him to get it checked.

Elwood
05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
look at its headlights.

lmao.

win.

Limbo
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
sounds like like he might need a new tune or run better fuel