PDA

View Full Version : WHOOOOOOOOOOP sound

hooyn
28-04-2008, 11:19 PM
today i was at the lights and out of nowhere i heard "WHOOOOOOOOOOP" sound coming from the left side of my car. happened twice today.

anyone know what could be wrong? everything's still running ok and all.

EuroDude
28-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Manual or Auto?

If Manual, were you riding/engaging the clutch at the time?

hooyn
28-04-2008, 11:28 PM
manual. not riding clutch. at the traffic lights in neutral and air con,

dc2dc2dc2
28-04-2008, 11:28 PM
ur fan?

hooyn
28-04-2008, 11:36 PM
LOL i found this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO0k_3oN-E
same as what happened to me today.

CB7_OWNER
28-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow.. sounds like a robot from that video..... at first i was goner say it might be a pod filter, if you had one... but definately not.... more than likely something related to your a/c

dc2dc2dc2
28-04-2008, 11:39 PM
lol wtf
sounded like a kid had one of those whilstle lollies.

aaronng
28-04-2008, 11:47 PM
TX expansion valve on your A/C system needs replacing. I do hope you have extended warranty........

EuroDude
28-04-2008, 11:54 PM
That is the strangest noise ive ever heard from a car lol

If out of warranty, hopefully that noise is just a noise, and wont affect the functionality of the A/C

xntrik
28-04-2008, 11:54 PM
lol that sounds funny

rayb3na_
28-04-2008, 11:57 PM
rofl ^^^^ +1

Min988
29-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Funny thing is I have the same problem and called honda about it yesterday, Tx valve replacement is a over a thousand at Highway Honda, tx valve alone $211 $600(labor) $200 regas. The need to remove you dash to get to the valve.

Red devil quoted me 4 hours but they said I had to get the part which makes it around 800 bucks to get it fixed.

Darkii_
29-04-2008, 07:45 AM
=o god dam that is expensive. good luck with the aircon, its getting cold in brisbane now anyways =)

EuroDude
29-04-2008, 06:03 PM
dayam $1000, can't u just put a blow-off valve on it :p

Wander if its a common 03-05 thing

johnprocter
29-04-2008, 06:07 PM
yeah i got it on my euro when i have a/c on and fkn honda wont cover it under warranty cause whenever i go to show them the noise doesnt happen!!

BiLL|z0r
30-04-2008, 06:54 AM
There are already 2 threads at least on this issue (I started 1). It is common and my local Honda said put up with it, "it's normal". Basically I think they are waiting for my 3yrs wty to run out (in 3 mths) as they don't wanna pull the dash out.

aaronng
30-04-2008, 09:20 AM
There are already 2 threads at least on this issue (I started 1). It is common and my local Honda said put up with it, "it's normal". Basically I think they are waiting for my 3yrs wty to run out (in 3 mths) as they don't wanna pull the dash out.

That's NOT normal! Get them to show you the sound in one of their demo cars. I'd try a different dealer. Whoop! is not normal and asking you to "put up with it" means they admit there is something abnormal but don't want to do and repairs on it.

EuroDude
30-04-2008, 10:50 AM
That's NOT normal! Get them to show you the sound in one of their demo cars. I'd try a different dealer. Whoop! is not normal and asking you to "put up with it" means they admit there is something abnormal but don't want to do and repairs on it.

The dealers get paid labour by honda to do warranty work, they should be more proactive. Then again, they wouldnt get paid much so its probably not worth it for a job like this.

aaronng
30-04-2008, 12:07 PM
The dealers get paid labour by honda to do warranty work, they should be more proactive. Then again, they wouldnt get paid much so its probably not worth it for a job like this.

That's exactly right. The rate they get paid for warranty work is much lower than the rate they charge for servicing and repairs.

ticklenow1
30-04-2008, 06:49 PM
It is just typical of New Car dealers (well my local ones anyway!!). They all wait until your car is out of warranty then tell you it will be plenty to fix. I complained about a noise on my Euro while it was well and truly still in warranty and typically they couldn't find it or it wouldn't make the noise while they had it. At 120K they found out what the noise was and then told me it would be about $1300 to fix. The mechanic told me that if it was documented under warranty then it should be covered. The Service manager would not acknowledge this and the poor old mechanic probably got a kick in the backside.

If you have a problem and your local dealer won't fix it then contact Honda Australia and tell them how disappointed you are in their service and maybe they can help get the dealer into gear.

Stand up to these robbers!! The Service managers are only making sure they get a big fat bonus for billable hours.

Min988
30-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I didnt think this many euros had this problem...wow

acura_ek1
30-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Manual or Auto?

If Manual, were you riding/engaging the clutch at the time?

yeah my clutch sound like a soft BOV wierd....

EuroDude
30-04-2008, 10:43 PM
yeah my clutch sound like a soft BOV wierd....

Time for a new spigot bearing in the clutch.

tony1234
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM
It is just typical of New Car dealers (well my local ones anyway!!). They all wait until your car is out of warranty then tell you it will be plenty to fix. I complained about a noise on my Euro while it was well and truly still in warranty and typically they couldn't find it or it wouldn't make the noise while they had it. At 120K they found out what the noise was and then told me it would be about $1300 to fix. The mechanic told me that if it was documented under warranty then it should be covered. The Service manager would not acknowledge this and the poor old mechanic probably got a kick in the backside.

If you have a problem and your local dealer won't fix it then contact Honda Australia and tell them how disappointed you are in their service and maybe they can help get the dealer into gear.

Stand up to these robbers!! The Service managers are only making sure they get a big fat bonus for billable hours.
As long as the fault is documented within the warranty period even when warranty has expired it's covered.No argument.

acura_ek1
01-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Time for a new spigot bearing in the clutch.

dang! serious? everything feels fine but....

EuroDude
01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
dang! serious? everything feels fine but....

Its just a noise, the clutch still functions as normal.

Kev85
03-05-2008, 04:58 PM
i was waiting at the gas station today when i heard the whooooop from the left side of my car aswell...

first time ive heard it.

jwesterway
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I have heard this noise several times but every time i take it into honda they cant replicate it, told me to find out how to show them it occurs then they will fix it. So apart from having the air con turned on is there any way i can cause this sound to occur? so i can show them and have it fixed..

and apart from the noise does this problem cause anything else or is it just a noise and therefore not much of a big deal?

-Josh

BiLL|z0r
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
It happens to me more when air con on and stopped/stopping/driving real slow/just taken off. Basically anything 0-15km/hr. Usually when totally stopped though (at traffic lights mostly). As we go into winter I prolly got bugger all chance of getting it fixed since it's mainly a summer issue.

Has anyone had it occur with the heater on instead? Does the tx valve get used then or only cooling?

sakinah
24-05-2008, 09:53 PM
this happened in the car today whilst stopped at the lights. i remember reading this thread thankfully and did not freak out. It just happened once. If it keeps happening i will take it to Honda.

Crapdaz
25-05-2008, 12:00 AM
so has anyone resolved this problem yet? and cause ?

aaronng
25-05-2008, 12:27 AM
so has anyone resolved this problem yet? and cause ?

Air cond's thermal expansion valve. Expensive to repair. If you have warranty, use it!

Min988
25-05-2008, 02:13 AM
It happens to me more when air con on and stopped/stopping/driving real slow/just taken off. Basically anything 0-15km/hr. Usually when totally stopped though (at traffic lights mostly). As we go into winter I prolly got bugger all chance of getting it fixed since it's mainly a summer issue.

Has anyone had it occur with the heater on intead? Does the tx valve get used then or only cooling?

I had it happen to me today when set on Auto 26'c around 10pm, while heating, so short answer "yes" but its a first for me.

Going to get it fixed when it gets worse. Happens every so often about twice a month, for me.

Crapdaz
25-05-2008, 06:17 AM
is it a distinct sounds?
as i havent heard anything of that sort.

but then i rarely use A/C/Heating when i drive. Only sometimes when it gets frosty.

johnprocter
25-05-2008, 07:45 AM
ahhh stilll cant replicate the sound when i take it to the dealer.. and my warranty ends in 2months.. >_<

mars_panas
25-05-2008, 07:54 AM
ahhh stilll cant replicate the sound when i take it to the dealer.. and my warranty ends in 2months.. >_<

Should try asking Honda to replace/repair the thing even though it's not making the Woop sound... say its a common problem with the Euro's and i don't want it happening after my warranty has finish seeing it would be expensive to replace/repair

doesn't hurt to ask :p

BiLL|z0r
25-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't think that will work. My dealer has heard the noise and knows it's a common issue and still won't fix it. My wty runs out in 2 mths too and is due to 60K now so will pressure them again. My air con has started sqeaking now too :(

Crapdaz
25-05-2008, 10:47 AM
tell them you'll take it up with Trades Practice Legislation *can't remember what you call it*

aaronng
25-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't think that will work. My dealer has heard the noise and knows it's a common issue and still won't fix it. My wty runs out in 2 mths too and is due to 60K now so will pressure them again. My air con has started sqeaking now too :(

Go to a different dealer. It is not a common issue because only a few ppl reported it here on Ozhonda. Have a look on the creaking clutch thread, now that is a common issue.

BiLL|z0r
25-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Unfortunatly my dealer owns the 2 dealers on the Gold Coast. I'll have to go South Brisbane and can't be without my car for that long especially since I get free loan car at the GC dealer.

aaronng
25-05-2008, 12:14 PM
So you are going to let them push you around and skimp out of this warranty repair? Ask the south Brisbane dealer and let them know you need a courtesy car for the duration of the repair. Even if they charge you $100 per day for the car, you'll be out of pocket much less than if you had to do this expansion valve replacement out of warranty.

tony1234
25-05-2008, 01:19 PM
As aaron says get it repaired now.Thats what warranty is for.

BiLL|z0r
25-05-2008, 08:05 PM
True.

Update: Booked my Euro in for it's last wty service (60K) yesterday and told the guy behind the service desk that last service I complained of a whoop from the Tx valve in the air con and although they acknowledged it was there said it's not faulty per say and didn't fix it. I then said I'd like it changed anyway please as it's out of wty in 2 mths. He instantly said, ok and noted it in the computer. I guess we'll see if it actually gets done or not but since I also told them I'm looking at buying a Jazz they might do it to keep me happy.

BiLL|z0r
04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Good news, the dealer has ordered the Tx valve and will replace it under wty when it arrives. Funny how when you say you're looking at buying a Jazz off them they then agree to change the part and be ever so nice about it.

johnprocter
04-06-2008, 07:05 PM
hahaha i'm gonna try that LOL good idea dude. "umm and i'm looking to buy a S2000 with all extra options :D" here sir complimentary limo and free service on the house ;)

ms700
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
If you reported the problem while the car is still in warranty, even if then the warranty expires, because you reported the problem during the period that the car was under warranty, it still should be covered.

Make sure they note the problem down on the repair order, so they can refer back to it later on.

BiLL|z0r
20-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Had the Tx valve changed today under wty and so far so good, however it did it more in summer so time will tell.

DanVR4
20-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Has the replacement valve been upgraded to last longer? Or is the one replacement only going to last a few years as well?

unity
22-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Which dealer do you get your car serviced?

BiLL|z0r
22-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Has the replacement valve been upgraded to last longer? Or is the one replacement only going to last a few years as well?

Not sure on that, I think it's a just a replacement.

BiLL|z0r
22-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Which dealer do you get your car serviced?

The Gold Coast dealer (only 1 and saves naming names)

fender86
02-07-2008, 01:42 AM
lol i think i heard the same sound in my euro, though mine happen once. hope it doesn't happen again haha but sure is a funny sound.

kitbkk
30-10-2008, 03:28 PM
fock! it happens to me today lol.. god damn my warranty ran out 3 months ago...
Billzor, has the sound gone completely after your thermal expansion valve replacement?

Min988
30-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Billzor, has the sound gone completely after your thermal expansion valve replacement?

I was in the same boat, now I just live with it. Goooone.

DanVR4
31-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Well there's no point in paying all that money if it's only going to last a few years again...

Lukey
31-10-2008, 08:25 PM
what u get for using aircon

Euro08Jaz
31-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Go to a different dealer. It is not a common issue because only a few ppl reported it here on Ozhonda. Have a look on the creaking clutch thread, now that is a common issue.

and they still fail to address it, you wait till i see em next!

BiLL|z0r
01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

The car is now driven by my wife but she says it's fine now.

Crapdaz
01-11-2008, 12:37 PM
hmmm bummer!!!

but does this problem happen with people not using A/C frequently or people who use it all the time?

krzy
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
By any chance was she in the passenger seat ??
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dC7bUldrHcbP/340x.jpg

LOL

kitbkk
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
hmmm bummer!!!

but does this problem happen with people not using A/C frequently or people who use it all the time?
I hardly used my A/C in the past 4 months. Now I usually use it and LOL whoop whoop there you go..
My brother sat in the passenger seat and when it happen he asked me did I fart..LOL

Crapdaz
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I hardly used my A/C in the past 4 months. Now I usually use it and LOL whoop whoop there you go..
My brother sat in the passenger seat and when it happen he asked me did I fart..LOL
should have told him it's your fart cannon. :p
kidding i think you use it once a week and it should be fine but if you hardly use it, it pucks up.

kitbkk
01-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah that might be it...
Just an update today, weather was about 20c here in Melbourne so I set the A/C to about 29-30c. It did not blow any hot air at all. But when I turn it down to 19c, it started to blow cold air.. I think this isnt right. Will get the car checked asap.

Bigpauly2788
02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Dont mean to hijack thread but yesterday i lowered my car some more (i have Buddy Club N+) and i adjusted the dampening to level 14 out of 15 so it is hard. and now when i go over like speed humps i can hear what sounds like a "pshh" from the rear of the car...

Is that normal ?? ? ? !? ?!?

lf1234
03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I dont think it's normal,

So is it definitely problem with the air cond..?

EuroSteve
31-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Argh dammit!! I was sitting at the lights today and I heard the dreaded "whoop" sound. I'm at least 12 mths out of wty, so what are my options? $1000 repair is just BS.

On another note, i've occasionally been hearing a similar noise (not as loud) which I think is coming from the clutch. It only happens in 1st, when I have other people in the car and usually when taking off from on a slight incline. It happens just at the clutch take up point. Could this be the spigot bearing as also suggested in this thread?

Damn all these noises....creaking clutch master cylinder, clutch, and now the tx valve. My car feels like a POS :(

Min988
31-12-2008, 06:18 PM
My valve wasnt so bad last year but now sometimes when my car is parked with the engine off and im walking away from it after using the aircon it whoooops on its own for a couple of minutes. I get the feeling the problem gets worse over time.

blk05gli
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Argh dammit!! I was sitting at the lights today and I heard the dreaded "whoop" sound. I'm at least 12 mths out of wty, so what are my options? $1000 repair is just BS.

On another note, i've occasionally been hearing a similar noise (not as loud) which I think is coming from the clutch. It only happens in 1st, when I have other people in the car and usually when taking off from on a slight incline. It happens just at the clutch take up point. Could this be the spigot bearing as also suggested in this thread?

Damn all these noises....creaking clutch master cylinder, clutch, and now the tx valve. My car feels like a POS :(

clutch noise is thrust bearing going, i have a same problem.

rambohung
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I heard a couple of Wooping sound when I was using the A/C in the last few weeks.

I don't use A/C a lot, on average once a week according to the recommedation in the manul. A/C works normally.

Will this Tx valve problem cause any damage to the A/C system if I keep using the A/C??

Min988
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I heard a couple of Wooping sound when I was using the A/C in the last few weeks.

I don't use A/C a lot, on average once a week according to the recommedation in the manul. A/C works normally.

Will this Tx valve problem cuase any damage to the A/C system if I keep using the A/C??

Well mines been whooooping for ages now and I use the AC all the time, as far as I know it's more of a annoyance issue. It's pretty bad when you have people in your car who haven't experienced the whoooop, its pretty hard and embarassing to explain.

falco
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
My Euro has been making the same whoooping sound now for about two years. Every time I took it in for a service, the dealer (Gold Coast) wouldnt fix it. And of course, its now out of warrantee.
I just put up with it, but I am interested to find out if it causes any damage.
How embrassing is it when you have somebody in the car, and it makes that noise ??? :eek:

Crapdaz
04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
i am guessing it is a very loud whoop sound....

falco
04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes it is quite loud. I had a car full of people the other day and it made "the noise" and when it happened they all looked at each other and said "whats that" . :p

nugget666
04-01-2009, 07:01 PM
So is this harmful in anyway or just makes a sound? its kinda off putting

lf1234
05-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I have the problem too.. and i want to take it to the dealer..

Just want to know what should I say to the dealer?

Should I just say fix my TX Valve, there is a fault, because it keeps making a whoooop sound when having A/C on.

Will they understand it and fix it?

Or should I say something else? like say i found this problem on a forum and it's a fault in TX valve..?

Can anyone please let me know..?

Thanks!!!

falco
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Yes take it to the dealer, and tell them the tx valve is making a whooping sound.
From my personal experience the dealer will say "leave it with us and if we can hear the noise we will diagnose it." Of course it NEVER makes the noise at the dealers and they will do EVERYTHING in their power NOT to fix it under warrantee.
So its up to you to be VERY forcefull and tell them not to return the car to you unless its fixed.
If you dont do that the chances of getting it fixed under warrantee are about ...zero. :p

lf1234
05-01-2009, 09:49 AM
mmmmm...... GOT YA!!!:)

Thanks Falco!!:D

euro27
21-01-2009, 08:04 PM
My 04 Euro makes the whoop sound regularly, I've told Honda about it ( car still under warranty) and they say it's 'normal'... I just live with it !!!

cheers

BiLL|z0r
21-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Mine did that too till I told them next time I dropped it off for a service I was looking at buying a Jazz (which I was) they fixed it. I got my Jazz too but not from them ;)

loki78
19-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Has anyone experience the Whoop sound from the CU2 euro? I started the car the other day and immediately after it turned over, i could hear the car making the whoop sound. Could it really be the TX expansion valve? The car is only 6 months old.

BatRambo
19-07-2009, 11:56 PM
LOL i found this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO0k_3oN-E
same as what happened to me today.

Same sound on my CU2 when starting the engine. Happen only in the morning when car stayed overnight or if parked for long time. But same sound....

THEEYA
20-07-2009, 12:15 AM
i only just skimmed through the thread, but you will need to send it to get fixed, something about a valve/AC. :D

primetimex
20-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Had this WHOOPing problem a long time ago with my CL9 Black Luxury Euro in 2003. There were very very few replies back then but aaronng's diagnosis is spot on - the TX valve is what's making the noise and it needs to be replaced.

Back then I had warranty to cover this but I sold the car before it ever got replaced - entire dash needs to be removed and it is an extensive job.

The WHOOPing noise got progressively bad over time that it could happen anytime - be it during winter/summer and the A/C is on.

Thankfully nothing on my current CU2 (touch wood ...) :thumbsup:

euro27
21-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I concur with primetimex, sounds like the Tx valve which is expensive and should be fixed under warranty.Honda will claim it's a normal operating noise which is rubbish and not befitting of a car which is supposed to be best in class. I have owned old mazda 626's and a Mitsubishi Mirage which had a/c systems that were reliable and QUIET.....go figure.

I eliminated my noise by selling the car and getting a Lexus !

Good luck everyone !!