PDA

View Full Version : 97 Civic Sedan Gli

Mule
29-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone

I am new to the forums and new to cars in general, and i recently brought a 97 Civic Sedan Gli. I just have a few probly dumb questions, don't flame me lol. First of all how much difference is there between a Gli and Vti in terms of performance, and is it worth working on a Gli? If it is wat should be the first thing to be done, the car is stock except for 15" Alloy wheels.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

SiReal
29-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Welcome

I used to have a GLi but recently drove my mates VTi

I haven't driven the GLi in a while (over 1 year) so my opinions may not be accurate.

But on first drive of the VTi, it feels much quicker. it has got 8kw more but I didn't expect such a difference.

Having said that, keep the Gli. That 8kw difference isnt worth the 2K you will lose from changing over cars.

Just get the basic Intake/headers/exhaust/suspension, work on a nice sound system (to improve driving enjoyment) and u'll be set for a while.

Mule
29-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply SiReal, regret not getting a Vti lol. A question about sound systems, the car came with a stock Honda CD player, how much difference is there between the Honda CD player then an after market one. So should i keep CD player and just work on the speakers, probly won't get a sub take up too much boot space.

SiReal
29-04-2008, 11:59 AM
change the speakers first and use the existing wiring.

thats the easy part.

changing speakers make a pretty big difference.

Then change the Headunit to branded one - I found that made a BIG difference. DO it in stages.

If you get aftermarket, may as well get a sub.

Ppl often say change the wiring cos its crap blah blah blah but it does the job fine.

Mugen Civic
29-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I own a 99 Civic GLI Sedan but its pretty near the same as your 97 one

the performance upgrade is Ram pod intake and hi flow exhaust and you can really feel the difference in the top end of the revs if you want ur car to have abit more performance, but then again that would apply to almost all cars.

I used to have 2 x 12" subs in the boot and that nearly took up all the boot space. I now have a single 15" sub and it gives me half of the boot space so i can carry a decent size laguage.

As for the wiring, using stock wires is fine if your just thinking of upgrading the head unit and the 6" front and 6x9" rear speakers only. Head units only give out ~20Wrms. If you thinking of using amps then you need to upgrade speaker wires also.

Hope that answers ur questions:thumbsup:

Mule
30-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for both replies all good information to educate me with. Yeah might get a pod filter and probly get some decent speakers to start, still not keen on the subs, i need my boot space.

Any cheap easy way to get a bit more performance out of the car would be good.

Another thing i noticed is the car is auto but when it changes gear its jerks, kinda feel like the slow down you get when shifting in a manual, is that normal? Also it takes 3-4 clicks before the car starts i am guessing one of the spark plugs might be out, is it possible?

Mugen Civic
30-04-2008, 06:37 PM
funny this
i actually owned a 96 Civic GLI Sedan automatic also before my 99 manual model one.
My 96 model had also so same problem like urs with the jerk more noticable goin from 1st to 2nd. Calling it a problem is not really right as it is quite common and is one of the down side of an ageing automatic civic of our type.

To help reduce the jerk is you can change the automatic fluid more often than needed. Other than that, nothing much you can do i think.

Unless anyone else has come across a solution?

SiReal
30-04-2008, 06:49 PM
always use genuine honda auto trans fluid. that stuff works absolute miracles.

it does on my car - an auto 01 accord which is renowned for having a problematic gbox.

Mugen Civic
30-04-2008, 06:56 PM
yes yes
i back that

use honda fluids only

Mule
30-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks again guys, what about starting the engine is it normal to take a number of clicks before the engine starts?

SiReal
30-04-2008, 07:02 PM
it usually takes a bit to start, maybe a few turns of the engine. the good ol d-series.

dahon
30-04-2008, 07:17 PM
welcome to the civic sedan club buddy :)
The GLi is a nice car, i was thinking of getting one, but opted for a VTi instead, i think the only differences are that we get a tacho? and power options and all the airbags and abs? not really sure though.
Anyways, with the system, what you have to find out is if your central locking/alarm (if it comes with a stock alarm) is wired through your honda radio, if it is, then youll have to change some wiring if you decide to change to a new head unit.
Also have a look around with suspension mods buddy, if your only keep on gaining minor power gains, then you might aswell allow your car to handle way better. My most recommended mod is if you get a ek4 (vtir hatch) or a em1 (vtir coupe) rear sway bar installed. Youll definately enjoy the car more during turns. =)
Cheap and effective mod.
Have fun man and keep us updated!

Mule
30-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I guess thats just the way it is then, it has been pretty cold in melbourne

Hehe i reckon sedan look better and more practical.

Well the Big difference between Gli and Vti will be Vtec and it apparently makes a big difference. :(

How much would i be looking at for suspension mods and wat kinda mods should i be looking at? Also how much is a rear sway bar and is it easy to install ur self? and i read somewhere 'if you gonna thick afyermarket swaybar, don't forget to install subframe brace as well. you dont want your subframe to crack.' what is a subframe brace and do i need one? Why are civic sway bars in the boot, don't most cars have sway bars under the bonnet?

dahon
30-04-2008, 07:55 PM
nah i doubt the vtec makes that much of a diff man, only when you get to the bigger stuff (b series) is when u feel it kick kinda..
well im guessing your car already has a stock front one (my one does), and if you want to keep it cheap, i say just get the stock sway bars supplied with the ek4/em1s. Ask around here/look on the for sale parts, youll find some most likely.
theyre only 13/14mm so you wont need to rock a subframe reinforcement kit, and will be good enough handling wise for the moment. Should only set you back say 100 bucks, while a upgraded 22mm CTR sway + subframe reinforcement will cost you around the 400-500 mark.
Sway bars are also called anti roll bars, you have one at the front and one at the rear to reduce body roll during cornering, while strut bars reduce chassis flex and they come in 4 types.
i think you may be getting confused with sway bars and strut braces so heres a couple of articles i recommend you read:
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=294
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=293

you could also try lowering your car with lowering springs but its not really recommended with stock shocks, itll wear our your shocks much quicker. read up on some articles here on the forum, there are alot of good tips aswell. :)

im assuming you dont really have much to spend at the moment, so try get some minor mods in, as SiReal stated, intake/headers/exhaust and suspension.
then after when you can be bothered go for turbo/engine conversion? lolz

SiReal
30-04-2008, 08:00 PM
great post dahon :thumbsup:

I cant wait to get back into a civic one day though.

dahon
30-04-2008, 08:24 PM
cheers :)
yeh civic sedans are great to roll around in. you can pimp them up a bit more than the other styles.. hahaha
great daily aswell

Mule
30-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah thanks i see what the differences are now, Wat kinda intake systems are there and wat should i be looking at?

Mule
30-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Wait someone explain or link me an article that explain Vtec to me. I just realised when i read about Vtec it uses 2 Camshafts one for low RMP for high RMP, so how does Vtec help in SOHC.

dahon
30-04-2008, 08:48 PM
heres the site dood:

http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
basically
DOHC = valve timing and lift on intake & exhaust (you have two cams, so you have space for extra lobes on each cam)
SOHC = VTEC - valve timing on intake valves only (no space cept for intake timing, as single cam controls both intake & exhaust valves)
VTEC-E - 3 valves per cylinder from 0-2000rpm-ish, extra valve comes on @ 3000rpm-ish

Raztaz
30-04-2008, 08:51 PM
yes another person with a sedan! how convenient is having 4 doors!

After reading some earlier posts aboutthe diff's, i thought the EK Sedans (im assuming its EK cause he said 97) GLi and VTi had the same D16's non VTEC but the VTi has better std. equip and is lighter. :confused:

dahon
30-04-2008, 08:53 PM
VTi has vtec mate
thats why its badged VTi
but i think its got VTEC-E
GLi engine code was d16y4 (non vtec)
and VTi has either engine code (d16y5 - vtec-e) or (d16y8 - vtec)
one or the other i dont remember.

Mugen Civic
30-04-2008, 09:05 PM
EK sedans FTW!

i use 4 doors for more room on sound system, back seat became my boot for awhile

we should have a EK sedan meet up :thumbsup:

dahon
30-04-2008, 09:06 PM
yeah we should! hehehe

denmase
30-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Another Civic sedan owner
Mines 97 model VTi d16y5 and CVT auto trans.

Raztaz
30-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Sedan meet up ftw haha :thumbsup:
How does the CVT drive?

Mule
30-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah mine is a EK1 hehe good to see all the Sedan lovers here haha.

denmase
01-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Oneday yeah will have sedan meet up .. im up for it, let us know when.
I will be at the meet up next week at HJ cabramatta or something, hope to see each other there.

CVT.. Continous Variable Transmision .. yeah its ok no need to press On or Off overdrive button.

Mule
01-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Lol half of us are in Sydney and Half in Melbourne. But if u guys do a meet in melbourne i might come with my stock as anything civic lol.

Mugen Civic
01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
man i would like to see what other things are being done to EK sedans

I thought i was unique being very rare to modify a EK sedan.
i'm into my second EK sedan as my first one was reaching 170,xxx kms

denmase
01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Bought my EK sedan from New 10 years ago .. done 160K, without any problem at all, regularly service and well look after.

Current mod.. i got 19" wheel and lowered, XForce muffler and custom made leather seat covers.., angel eyes light and Red white tailight.

Mugen Civic
01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
dude

how you manage to fit 19" rims and also lowering it?
I have 17" and i had to raise the car back up again and even then it still rubs under heavy cornering.

You must have like the inner gaurds bend back or somethin.

denmase
01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah .. it rubs little bit .. rear guards rolled and the front plastic splash guard i cut them slightly on the top part to eliminate scrubbing.
i use superlow king springs, soon will be fitted with coilover.

xStickersx
02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
sedan>hatch anyday.

In brissy sedans are way out numbered.

sPoOnD_
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
my dad passed his civic to me and its done 260000kmz..haha..and nothing wrong with it..only the clutch is starting to slip :D..alot of km'z ey

Mugen Civic
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
oh yea, nothing wrong with my first EK sedan
i just thought 170,xxxkm was abit too high for my likeing.

And was lucky to find one thats done 60,000 when i baught it.
i'm up to 88,000km now. Like to keep things untouched heh =)