PDA

View Full Version : clutch is weird...

sai_vang
29-04-2008, 08:29 PM
hi all i have a DC2r and my clutch is kinda not right...
the clutch engages very high up almost to the point where you fully let go of the clutch... it was always like that when i bought the car.. firstly i thought that the clutch is going so i had a cushion clutch put in around november last year but it is still the same.. however when im gear changing i only need to apply little weight to the clutch and that allows me to shift. (dont need to clutch all the way in)

does anyone know if thats normal or is there something wrong with the car..
i've heard from a friend that the clutch can be adjusted or something like that... not sure....

all suggestions, advice & help will be very much appreciated..

dslt
29-04-2008, 09:00 PM
same thing happens to me as well, thought my clutch was going.
Changed clutch + flywheel
it was a bit lower when it was installed. Then my mech adjusted it then slowly slowly it goes higher n higher..

I think its normal

markoJEK1
29-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes the clutch pedal height can be adjusted, but in my opinion , stuffing around with your pedal height isnt worth it, if your clutch was ok before and now its like that - where the engagement point is much higher, it means your clutch is close to gone and needs replacement easy as that

sai_vang
30-04-2008, 09:54 AM
i just got my clutch changed in november last year....

Iwishiwasa Type R
30-04-2008, 02:32 PM
this is fhkin wierd. I have dc2r also. And i was just about to psot something ismilar

I was driving home last night from work about 40 mins. half way through the trip my clutch started feeling funny. My clutch started to engage and disengage closer to the bottom, where the pedal hits the floor (similar to how nissan clutches engage). Its also feeling alot softer than usual (I think this is opposite to whats happening to yours). clutch works fine, gears engage properly etc, although it has caught me off guard and caused some stalling.

I am thinking aobut getting my clutch fluid checked etc.. but id also like to know if someone has experienced similar

DC4Integra98
30-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Driving many manual transmission cars, since getting a teg I realised that the clutch engagement was higher up than most other cars.
Therefore I think its normal.

rayb3na_
30-04-2008, 02:45 PM
pressure plate..

dudeling7
30-04-2008, 08:11 PM
i wish i was a type r - i think in your case its your master/slave cylinder that is leaking hence loosing pressure in pedal feel.

Nepolian
30-04-2008, 09:12 PM
If all hydraulics are ok, and you really want a lower pedal just adjust it behind the pedal arm, it wont hurt.

Your clutch is fine as long as it is not slipping. Having said that, if the pedal was originally adjusted incorrectly and is loading the clutch, then it may cause premature wear on the clutch and throwout bearing.

ricki_kalsi
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
this is fhkin wierd. I have dc2r also. And i was just about to psot something ismilar

I was driving home last night from work about 40 mins. half way through the trip my clutch started feeling funny. My clutch started to engage and disengage closer to the bottom, where the pedal hits the floor (similar to how nissan clutches engage). Its also feeling alot softer than usual (I think this is opposite to whats happening to yours). clutch works fine, gears engage properly etc, although it has caught me off guard and caused some stalling.

I am thinking aobut getting my clutch fluid checked etc.. but id also like to know if someone has experienced similar

Bleed the fluid. Same happened to me, I had air in the line.
I had come back from work one night... to find that my pedel was on the floor. I managed to drive up the street, buy some shitty Caltex brake fluid, and pour it in, and pump the clutch pedel, it slowly kinda brought the pedel back up.

A-man
04-05-2008, 12:58 AM
there should b an adjust ment to choose where ur clutch engages...

as the clutch wears down the friction point is going to come up. they need to be adjusted to ensure the clutch is completely engaged and not slipping because the clutch cant go up any more...

my da9 (i know its a cable clutch) did the same thing.. its only an adjustment

Iwishiwasa Type R
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
first things first.. bleed and replace the fluid..
anyone have the DIY?

sai_vang
17-05-2008, 10:08 PM
does anyone know how to adjust the clutch.. or am i better off to take it to a mechanic...?

help very much appreciated...

sai...

A-man
17-05-2008, 10:40 PM
for a dc2?

sai_vang
18-05-2008, 11:33 AM
yep.. its for a dc2r... would u know how to adjust the clutch?

regards,
sai

JetSir
18-05-2008, 11:41 AM
jst take it to a mech... they wouldnt charge u much to adjust it ... $10 or $20 ?

sai_vang
18-05-2008, 12:59 PM
oh ok is that approximately how much it only cost?

markoJEK1
18-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Imo, dont mess around with adjusting a hydraulic clutch, especially by yourself if you do not have enough knowledge of what is needed to be done, if the stock height is like that just leave it, think about it this way, say you adjust it to compensate for the high engagement point with your current clutch , once you replace it, the default pedal height will be completely off, which will cause you to either go back to the mechanic and get them to fix it up again or you're release point in the clutch will be affected dramatically.

A-man
18-05-2008, 09:40 PM
grab a service manual.. off the net.

u ALWAYS adjust the clutch when u replace it... its stupid not to anyways...

its not hard... and i dont know why anyone would get bent out of shape for u adjusting a clutch when people do stuff to brakes when they dont kno what there doing...

u need to make sure the clutch is correctly adjusted so the clutch is completely disengaged when its pushed in.. and it needs to be adjusted properly in so that its not slipping when it cant go out any further out.

sai_vang
19-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks a lot A-man..i'll see if i can find a service manual.. now my clutch is so high that u onli need to apply very little pressure to the clutch and u can do a change..

sai