PDA

View Full Version : RB1 Odyssey: Gearbox indicator flashes

C4M
30-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi all

I've now owned my 2005 Oddyessy for a month, and for the past two weeks, it's been with Honda - thought I'd let you guys know about it.

Not long after taking delivery, and while doing the Sat. morning run about for random things, I noticed that the 'D' for Drive indicator on the dash flashing. Reading the manual, it tells me to call Honda if this happens.

I called the Toyota dealer that I bought the car from, and they arranged a service slot for me to take the car in. I got a call that night saying that they were taking it to Honda to diagnose the fault. Honda had it for a week, saying there was no problem before being able to replicate the issue - and they were then able to trace it back to a solenoid, which is now on order from Japan, and which should get here in a couple of weeks. Honda recommend that the car isn't driven in the interim - so it's still at the Honda dealer.

Naturally, it's a little worrying, although the fact that I have some manufacturers warranty as well as the statutory warranty from the second hand dealer means that hopefully I have a couple of layers of protection.

Hopefully if you see the same thing this gives you a starting point for your conversation with your dealer, and you'll not damage your gearbox further.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with gearbox light flashing?

C!

wasabi88
30-04-2008, 06:14 PM
YEP. Had the same thing with 03 Ody V6L.

evolution
30-04-2008, 10:54 PM
First time I've heard of it...know what is the actual problem?

C4M
01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
First time I've heard of it...know what is the actual problem?Not at this stage - I'm getting the messages back second hand from dealer that I bought from, rather than Honda directly. I will be asking for some detail - I'll let y'all know what I find out.

C!

panda[cRx]
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
the rb1 odysseys aren't known to have trans problems. if anything my guess is it would be a clutch pressure switch or something along those lines (get it in the 2nd gen crv's sometimes)

if it's under honda warranty why are you wasting time with toyota? all they will do is take it to the honda dealer

C4M
02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
;1666642']if it's under honda warranty why are you wasting time with toyota? all they will do is take it to the honda dealerBecause I bought the car from a Toyota dealer, and it's still under statutory warranty there too. This means that I have two layers of warranty protection - both the manufacturers warranty and the second hand dealers warranty. The only way to invoke that second warranty is to co-ordinate through the selling dealer. I know that it seems convoluted, but it should insulate me from having to fund having the car repaired.

C!

2k1cvc
02-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorry to bump his thread, but have you had the side airbags lights flash at times aswell????

C4M
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry to bump his thread, but have you had the side airbags lights flash at times as well????Nup - just the gearbox indicator.

C!

jamchen
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
dunno if it is relevant to the odyssey or not..
will it be the EGR valve? (Emmission Gas Recirculation) affect the flashing D light?

C4M
10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Got the car back during the week - it would appear that Honda either thought that the fault was with one of the sensors, or they couldn't source the fact. From the summary that I got, they replaced mltiple sensors and solenoids - so now it remains for me to take it for a ncie long drive and see if I can trigger thefault again.

Happy to answer questions, but that is about as much as I know!

C!

C4M
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Loaded up the bus today with wife and kiddies , took everyone out for lunch, and did some shopping, and about 120 kilometres, all in typical heavy Sydney traffic - with no flasheing lights - seems that swapping out the brains worked (either that or they just disconnected the flashing thingy!!!).

Now to have the rattley original Honda DVD de-rattled - I should have added that to the list for the warranty people!!

C!