PDA

View Full Version : Respraying DC2R

rcdc.2
30-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Making plans to respray my dc2r at the moment just seeing people's thought and experiences.
I own a black dc2r right now, did a respray a year ago but the shop that did it for me just simply sprayed over it and now paints are starting to crack, making the car look real ghetto!
Thinking about respraying to CW, including engine bay.
Things i'm concerned right now is,

1. would they get the right colour ( is there some kind of code or anything i can refer to the painter)
2. Losing values when i sell my car (Which is not going to be another 3-4 years)

Be great to hear from members who has had experience in dealing with this kind of situation or thoughts from u guys!

Tu88y
30-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I would just leave it the stock color

If you want a CW sell it and find a CW one

Kiki
30-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Championship color code is NH-O - to be sure you can call honda

I wouldn't spray just the engine bay and outside, encase you want to sell it. Two different colors can really make a buyer unsure

If they don't get the right color they are stupid arse paint shop and should not be in business

Either get a proper respray of your exact color, or do a FULL car respray in whatever color of your choice, that means under carpet, in boot/engine bay/inside doors/everything!

marky53
30-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Changing colours compared to spraying the existing colour makes a massive difference to the preparation and costs involved in the job. This is hard to give advice as I dont know what you are willing to spend....

Yes there are colour codes which you can get to make a particular colour..... as far as resale, a respray is not going to add much value when its time to sell, but might make the car more attractive to a buyer....

Personally I wouldnt spray a black dc2r to make it a white dc2r. Unless I was going for something completely different like a blue or orange, I would simply keep it stock and go for the nighthawk black....

anyway thats just my thoughts, hope any of this helps.....

rcdc.2
01-05-2008, 02:09 AM
hmm...i'm thinking about spending 2.5k on the respray, or i can spend that on a JDM front!! HAHAHA!

xntrik
01-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Just to be precised.

For Championship White
its NH-0 (N-H-ZERO not O)

Honestly spray it something better, more unique but not too funky. lol
And properly done, sanded down panel by panel.

neut
01-05-2008, 04:21 AM
For me...im planning to get a respray in future to Gunmetal :) Gunmetal type RRRRR =]

xtercii
01-05-2008, 08:56 AM
2.5k won't give you a proper job, budget another 1 - 1.5k for the same colour and at least another 3.5k for a colour change...

marky53
04-05-2008, 06:46 PM
orange.....

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/391/112021467724670lq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

absolutR
04-05-2008, 07:07 PM
what!!! if your gonna change the colour of your car, as in a full respray. you'll look at 5k MINIMUM. Spesh if you want a proper job you could spend up to 8k man. Don't worry about changing the colour, spesh if your going to sell the car. Just think about it this way; however the amount you've already spent on it, plus 5-8k for a full change of colour respray and whatever mods you may continue to spend on it will all add up to some rediculous amount. That will never be able to regain when selling the car. You always loose on selling cars, spesh when you've poured heaps of money into it. Respray's are a long and lengthy job also.

My best mates dad is a panel beater and amazingly skilled car sprayer and he's got the sickest old camaro's n mustangs currently in the shop under going 8 to 10k change of colour resprays. The cars are stripped down right to the base shell which adds heaps more cost in things such as window seals n all other miscellaneous but costly things like that.
He always tell me how stupid i am wanting a respray because its just not worth it unless you've got a ridiculous amount of money or, your gonna keep the car forever, even if it sits on show in your garage in later years.. I have a black dc2r n am paranoid as about stupid little things, and always notice the few little swirl marks from however owned it before me's improper washing technique n it kills me.
If anything man just respray it to the original colour. Spesh with a colour like black, if done well can look amazing. don't try to save money on spraying your car coz in the end the quality of the job will always be apparent.

geeang
04-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Whoooaaa wall of text attack above ^

To sum up:
- Colour change = $$$$$$$$$$$
- Respray original colour = *thumbs up

xntrik
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
For me...im planning to get a respray in future to Gunmetal :) Gunmetal type RRRRR =]

beendone/
overdone.

ap
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
^ how many gunmetal type r's do you see on the streets?

absolutR
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
ive seen plenty of jdm dc2r's sprayed gunmetal but not to many audm ones.

whtteg
08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
imo if you want to retain resale value of a dc2r keep the original colour (i wouldnt buy one resprayed in a diff honda colour as it seems like your fixing a bit of damage and couldnt afford the cost of the original paint) but if you do want to change the colour do a full resparay in a custom colour and when it comes time to sell it is a custom respray that if someone wants that little bit of originality it will be what they are looking for but do strip the car completely so its a full respray

whtdc2
24-06-2009, 03:32 PM
hmm...i'm thinking about spending 2.5k on the respray, or i can spend that on a JDM front!! HAHAHA!
2.5k with the engine bay..... forget about it!! and it will end up same finish as you've got now

teggiboy
24-06-2009, 03:56 PM

There's currently a gun metal grey DC2R on carsales (melb) with a Jdm front conversion

xtercii
25-06-2009, 11:06 AM
seriously if you are going to respray a dc2r in a different colour, then be prepared to lose out heaps and take ages to sell it...

people like their type Rs in original condition and giving it a colour change is probably the worst idea

chargeR
25-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Doing a full colour change properly is not going to be cheap as everyone has said. If you are on a budget then just get the exterior paint redone the same colour properly by a decent shop, this at least leaves you with good oem paint in the interior and the engine bay. There are enough ghettoed up DC2Rs around without you screwing up another one.

G-Stick
25-06-2009, 01:07 PM
likes the others have said, just leave the colour as is unless u wouldnt mind losing out on resale price. and if ur gonna do it, at least do it properly the first time around and get it done at a decent place.

i will be respraying my jdm itr in the near future, but it will be the same colour just to freshen it up abit.

kriZy
25-06-2009, 03:49 PM

I've seen none.
And i say Just do it!
Listen to Nike.

sab0r
27-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I've also seen none, apart from that 1 in melb

BURST
02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
I say leave it the same colour, or sell it and buy one in cw.

yellows2k
04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
lol @ $2.5k. who is going to pull the engine out? and replace it and rewire and install all the trims, etc? unless ur going to be doing all that work urself, then $2.5k would only cover the cost of the spray job.
my brother has had his 01 mustang cobra completely resprayed 2 times thru vandalism. all panels, so no engine removal. this was thru insurance, so it wasnt a cash job. the panel shop (lees smash repairs in artarmon) quoted $12k for it and it was resprayed in the original colour. came out immaculate as well

MWAKU
04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
on another note, do you just get another type R sticker from honda to replace the original>

yellows2k
04-07-2009, 10:10 PM
u can if u like paying thru ur ass. there is a vender that posts who sells stickers that r top notch

G-Stick
05-07-2009, 07:23 PM
best to get the genuine stickers, the replica ones aren't 100%. Unless ur not fussy like me. ill be respraying my car next year and replacing the stickers again with OEM ones. i think you can get them for about 130 for the set of 3

yellows2k
05-07-2009, 07:42 PM
thats true, how different r the replicas to the oem?

G-Stick
05-07-2009, 08:04 PM
the R doesnt have that glitter the oem one has, but i think there are some reps ive seen o/seas that has them, but still abit of $$. might as well pay abit more and get the real ones