PDA

View Full Version : EJ8 cluster problem!

J_Phongsavan
30-04-2008, 11:35 PM
hey guys! my fuel reading n empty fuel light is not working... the fuel reading goes up to full when not using the dash lights, when using it the fuel reading goes to empty.... fuel readings gone... the empty fuel light also dun pop up when its almost empty...

1st problem was just the fuel reading den also came the empty fuel light... EXPO2ED advise me dat it could be my fuse... i checked all of them under the driver and in the engine bay...

does anyone hab any other suggestions dat may cause dis problem?

kraiye
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
dunno what may cause the problem but try putting ur fuel light globe in the mil socket. if the mil doesnt come on when u turn on the ignition then ur globe is dead. maybe that could be shorting something out too??

J_Phongsavan
02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
dunno what may cause the problem but try putting ur fuel light globe in the mil socket. if the mil doesnt come on when u turn on the ignition then ur globe is dead. maybe that could be shorting something out too??

thank you....honestly didnt thought of dat lol!

J_Phongsavan
27-09-2008, 12:03 PM
i post this long time ago.. still have the same problem... for the globe for the petrol light i putted somewhere else to test if it works but i works fine, so therefore i dont think globe is out...

but for the fuel reading same thing goes up when not using dashlights/ parker lights/ headlights... and down when not using it.... not reading at all what so ever...

im guessing its not the cluster... it could be the connections such as electrical connections... anyone know who can fix this? or anything else i should do?

J_Phongsavan
27-09-2008, 12:05 PM
btw i changed cluster... still same problem...

jesmine0
27-09-2008, 01:58 PM
As you mentioned:
"but for the fuel reading same thing goes up when not using dashlights/ parker lights/ headlights... and down when not using it.... not reading at all what so ever..."

It could be some "others" light or connection that not working, and effect ur system.
sometimes, the wiring connection is in series setup. so when there is one connection not working, the whole system will not working

or, if the wiring is in parallel setup, when one connection is not working, the power will still go through others connection. But, in some cases, more power will passing through those "others" connection and resulting somethings like "fuel reading same thing goes up when not using dashlights" and "down when not using it.... not reading at all what so ever..."

So, check all the connection for if there is any loosing parts. Not only the fuel system but others like odometer light and all the little connections. Is bcos sometimes, when there is a connection is not working properly, it will affect the whole system. these connection might be so small that you just couldn't notice them at all.

blabla
29-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi I have an ej8 coupe the when u put the ignition into acc the fuel light should turn on. When I am low on fuel it does not indicate it.

J_Phongsavan
29-09-2008, 05:50 PM
As you mentioned:
"but for the fuel reading same thing goes up when not using dashlights/ parker lights/ headlights... and down when not using it.... not reading at all what so ever..."

It could be some "others" light or connection that not working, and effect ur system.
sometimes, the wiring connection is in series setup. so when there is one connection not working, the whole system will not working

or, if the wiring is in parallel setup, when one connection is not working, the power will still go through others connection. But, in some cases, more power will passing through those "others" connection and resulting somethings like "fuel reading same thing goes up when not using dashlights" and "down when not using it.... not reading at all what so ever..."

So, check all the connection for if there is any loosing parts. Not only the fuel system but others like odometer light and all the little connections. Is bcos sometimes, when there is a connection is not working properly, it will affect the whole system. these connection might be so small that you just couldn't notice them at all.

hmmmm its going to be difficult as i dont know where to start... can electricians do it?

J_Phongsavan
29-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi I have an ej8 coupe the when u put the ignition into acc the fuel light should turn on. When I am low on fuel it does not indicate it.

it doesnt meant to turn on either way unless your close to empty then it comes up slowly as usual...

J_Phongsavan
29-09-2008, 05:52 PM
im not 100% sure if the electrician can do such a problem like this...

blabla
30-09-2008, 08:44 AM
what if it wasnt designed to show low fuel there many cars out there that dont show low fuel

paps02
01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
ej8's are supposed to show fuel low.... mine i have seen ONCE come on ever. recently i was down to 3L when i eventually filled up and still no warning lights! i also have the problem that my temp gauge is superglued on so i never know if my engine is or isn't hot. also have the problem that if i brake my indicator lights come on.... MY CAR FTW!!!

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
when the fuel bar is pointing right on empty, the fuel light wont light up straight away until its kind of close to empty...

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
could using the wrong fuse voltage in some areas my affect this?

XP02ED
01-10-2008, 02:00 PM
do u have stock wiring harness for your dash? u grabbed the one i had right?

could using the wrong fuse voltage in some areas my affect this?

NO

XP02ED
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
when the fuel bar is pointing right on empty, the fuel light wont light up straight away until its kind of close to empty...

this means its working but your sensor in the fuel tank might need replacement or not sitting correctly.

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
do u have stock wiring harness for your dash? u grabbed the one i had right?

NO

hmmm yeah im using the wiring loom i bought off you but still same problem as my stock one...

XP02ED
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
ok so let me get this straight

your fuel reading works fine if nothing else is being use

but when using something else it drops down to empty?

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 02:10 PM
"""when the fuel bar is pointing right on empty, the fuel light wont light up straight away until its kind of close to empty..."""

this is refering to someone else... not my problem...

my problem is stated in first post.... reading go up all the way when not using parkers or headlight/ cluster lights.... reading go down all the way to empty when using them.... readings F''d up... also the fuel bulb for empty is not dead...

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
this means its working but your sensor in the fuel tank might need replacement or not sitting correctly.

where the fuel sensor located?

XP02ED
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
ah

can u confirm if when it does go up that its reading correctly? ie if u have a full tank it goes to full or half tank etc. or it just goes all the way up?

the problem wont be on your wiring loom on the dash but you might need to look under your driver side dash where the fuse box are and all the connectors. you need to trace your wires from your fuel tank to your wiring loom

seems like someone might have had a relay on it and maybe upon removal didnt connect it back.

fuel sensor thingo is in the petrol tank, although look what i wrote above first

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
ah

can u confirm if when it does go up that its reading correctly? ie if u have a full tank it goes to full or half tank etc. or it just goes all the way up?

the problem wont be on your wiring loom on the dash but you might need to look under your driver side dash where the fuse box are and all the connectors. you need to trace your wires from your fuel tank to your wiring loom

seems like someone might have had a relay on it and maybe upon removal didnt connect it back.

fuel sensor thingo is in the petrol tank, although look what i wrote above first

yeah i can confirm because when i fill up or keep on driving, it doesnt move... only moves down when i put on parker or headlights/ dash lights.... comes back up to full without using it... fuel reading still stuffed up either i use anything else at all or not...

which part it says in the fuse i have to look froim... i dont know which wires to look at...

this problem occur long time when i put a new cluster on...

XP02ED
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
ok from what i can see the issue is that someone ( previous owner maybe ) had another guage hooked onto the wires and probably removed it. upong removal didnt hook it up correctly

seems like he wired it onto the wrong wires ( wired positive/negative lines to accessory wire or something )

you need to trace the wires from your fuel tank ( this runs under your rear seat to to driver side to under your driver side dash.

find any wires connected to it or feeding of it etc.

good idea to trace your fuel wires from cluster/ dash wiring loom too

unless someone else can think of another reason why.,

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 02:43 PM
ok from what i can see the issue is that someone ( previous owner maybe ) had another guage hooked onto the wires and probably removed it. upong removal didnt hook it up correctly

seems like he wired it onto the wrong wires ( wired positive/negative lines to accessory wire or something )

you need to trace the wires from your fuel tank ( this runs under your rear seat to to driver side to under your driver side dash.

find any wires connected to it or feeding of it etc.

good idea to trace your fuel wires from cluster/ dash wiring loom too

unless someone else can think of another reason why.,

aite i try taking a look at it first... i wouldnt taking the car to you to help me out if you can... btw the wiring loom has two same clips that plugs to the back of the cluster.. one yellow and one orange... whats the difference? is it the same?

J_Phongsavan
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
is it possible the electricians can fixed this problem?

XP02ED
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
ones for SRS, forgot what the other is. that doesnt matter.

im pretty busy atm for next couple of weeks. fixing my car hopefully before the oct 11 cruise

auto electrician should be able to do it.

jesmine0
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Y dun you bring it to Honda workshop? i believe they have the program that able to check every single connection, wiring, signal, program & ...... of ur car (if they are in stock condition). If anything doesn't function properly, it will give faulty signal and honda will fix the problems.

quangsuke
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
i know this is an old thread, but i heard it may be the resistor in the fuel tank that is blown. just spreading the news about what i've heard.