PDA

View Full Version : DC5S - Suspension Setup

Mitsubishi
01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi OH,

I'm planning on modifying the suspension on my 06 Type S.

I'm not sure which way to go, either coilovers or progressive springs, so can I please get your feedback. The thoughts mentioned here are just my thoughts and from respective people I've spoken to so please don't get offended. The main reason for the suspension setup is generally for street purposes with the occasional track in mind. You're thoughts are very much appreciated!

I spoke to my mechanic about getting the Tein SS coilover setup for my 06 Type S. After much discussion the following was discussed:

1. He focused predominantly on the Honda factory suspension already being a great setup. Specifically because its an allrounder car. He also mentioned that the Honda got it right (referring to suspension) and that the stock suspension really didn't need major improving on. Add swaybars and it's complete.
2. He mentioned that with Honda's, generally going forward (upgrading suspension) can actually mean going backwards. I think what he is translating is that with Honda's we generally don't upgrade a whole lot as Honda straight out of the factory is set at a great standard. Now, he wasn't saying thats how it is and that's that - but just in general.

Possible avenues?
I can go about leaving the stock shocks and adding some progressive springs. Let me know your thoughts. Though he did mention the stock shocks will onl allow a certain drop. Can anyone verify how much they've dropped their suspension on stock shocks with aftermarket springs? Ride quality? Bumpy?

Or.. I can get coilovers and have a great setup. I think Honda DC5s have a great suspension straight out of the factory and in general only really need the swaybars to complete a good setup.

Or.. add the ITR suspension

But ...

..with that said, please let me know your thoughts. Keep on topic!

iversonruls
01-05-2008, 07:52 PM
get coilover and u can adjust the height n damper whenever u like
more fun

IEVAQ8
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
get tein s/s................you willm be very happy

Chi
01-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Your mechanic is right.

Honda has set the best height possible with the suspension set up.

Due to the Macpherson strut system, lowering it substantially will upset the steering and other things like camber, and add bumpsteer.

In order to correct it you may need to do various things to the steering components and other suspension bits.

But it really depends how much you lower it.

Coilovers will benefit your car in various ways, and can be negative too.

But postive wise it will remove weight compared to the stock suspension and also make your car look nicer lol.

kongfu
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Coilover is the way to go.

Mitsubishi
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Chi, I'm the type to make the car as clean as possible. I don't plan to "dump" the car. I prefer to have the car lowered to a reasonable height, just a few cm above the tyre.

In other words, a clean look.

Don't really want to upset the camber, god knows I can't afford to keep buying tyres!

EDIT: What are your thoughts on Tein springs with the stock shocks?

souljah
01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
If you choose coilovers, dont expect expect a comfy ride :thumbdwn:
With suspension work, it seems like an ongoing task.. coilovers, camber kits, tie rods ends,

Also, Maybe's - steering bracket, f & r sway bars, strut bars, lca etc etc

It can get pretty expensive. do you have a budget? Are you able to adapt to a bumpier/firmer ride? Perhaps test out another DC5 with suspension mods?

Having said that, personally, I think the trade off is worth it. I want a sports car, not a sports car that looks like a 4WD :p

chargeR
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Your mechanic is right.

Honda has set the best height possible with the suspension set up.

Due to the Macpherson strut system, lowering it substantially will upset the steering and other things like camber, and add bumpsteer.

In order to correct it you may need to do various things to the steering components and other suspension bits.

But it really depends how much you lower it.

Coilovers will benefit your car in various ways, and can be negative too.

But postive wise it will remove weight compared to the stock suspension and also make your car look nicer lol.

Don't really want to upset the camber, god knows I can't afford to keep buying tyres!

EDIT: What are your thoughts on Tein springs with the stock shocks?

Tein springs with stock shocks will be bad for track use I imagine. I could nearly bottom out stock shocks and dampers on track, and I doubt the spring rates on the Tein are high enough to control body roll under track conditions.

If you wish to improve your handling I would forget about aftermarket springs on stock dampers. Springs with aftermarket dampers such as Koni yellows could work although I have no experience with these.

Also Chi is talking about the front suspension on DC5s not gaining camber under compression as a negative, he is not saying that camber gained from lowering is bad. Camber will not have a significant effect on your tyre wear if it is kept reasonable and your toe is set to near zero.

IEVAQ8
02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
my mate in his dc5r had tein springs with stock shocks....he only uses the car for daily driving, no track work and the stock shocks let go fairly quickly.....as i mentioned above, he is now running tein supper streets, they have front camber adjustable top mount, so you can eliminate any camber from there, and he has them as low as possible, and they sit the same height as the tein springs did (with stock wheels, you can still get 2fingers between guard and tyre), it rides extremly good, and comfy............and he has the damper set front and rear at 6clicks from the stiffest setting......

Mitsubishi
02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Sounds good fellas.

I'll probably get some coilovers!

Tein SS or Buddy Club N+? Reviews are great for both so I'm still tossing up. Please just make an opinion in general. It will be used for the street and the occasional track day.

Thanks again fellas.

IEVAQ8
02-05-2008, 09:53 AM
if its mostly street car, i would go for tein s/s

Chi
02-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Go for teh N+, have been in a few with n+ and SS and found the n+ better for track and just as good for comfort on the street.

bungsai
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
you ever compared N+ and flex?

mugsee
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I like how Chi's quantifiable decision is based upon experiencing both suspension models that you've mentioned and not just blurting out one or the other...

Have you resigned to the idea of specifically just the N+ or SS?

I'm running a set of Zeal V6's that I'm quite happy with and find their dampening to be very comfortable when dialed down yet still very good for the track. The coilover arms also don't point as high as the Tein's/BC's which means that you'll save on inverted tie rods/steering brackets if you try and correct bump steer when you choose to do so.

Ninja edit: my experiece is based on previously driving on Tein Flexes, SS and Mugen N1's.

Tofu
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
mugsee is a suspension whore like me...LOL

i've done TeinSS, with Cusco rear sway, j's racing strut bars front and back, j's racing steering tie rods and rear camber kit.
I use it for street and I like it how it is now but I still don't think it's perfect just yet.
Will be getting front sways, j's racing RCA and perhaps front control arms.

Mitsubishi
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the informative repsonses guys.

I'm not limited to just the Tein SS and BC N+ but for the amount of suspension setups out there, I'm looking into these two. I may head off with the Tein SS, but I'll see if I can source BC N+ for a little cheaper.

Thanks for giving comparative decisions as to why you've chosen your setup.

Cheers

Chi
04-05-2008, 12:07 AM
you ever compared N+ and flex?

Tein Flex is built better quality compared to the N+ and RSD.

But there is a flaw in the Flex compared to the buddy club series, the connecting arm to the tie rod is much more higher compared to the N+ and RSD.

If you do not want to play around with the sussy alot, then this might be more beneficial to get BC stuff.

Another good thing is BC stuff has2 years warranty compared to Teins 1 yr.

Another prob is Flex is more stiffer imho to RSD and n+ which might be something to note, as I believe the topic starter is asking somehting more streetable.

I have also used Flex and RSD personally, and decided to stick with RSD as I use it more on teh street with odd track occasions.

Flex is good, but is it what you need?

Here is a pic of what Im talking about of the tie rod connecting arms.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9567/front2ui4.jpg

Im not sure if they make these any more, But HKS Hipermax 2 are really good coilovers, I tried them for a bit, very good for street.

But imho a bit soft for track.

DC5er
04-05-2008, 11:37 PM
well i got a DC5 type S 2006.
i have a buddy club racing spec damper.
and my friend have a spare racing spec damper for type-s 2006 as well
if you interested pm me.

bungsai
05-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks Chi.

DC5er
14-05-2008, 10:45 PM
i have a type s 2006, right now i got buddy club pro racer..
its a bit too stiff but god on track !
=]