PDA

View Full Version : Popping sound from Coilover

outatime
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
hi there

my car's rear left coilover makes a popping sound when going through a small speed hump and sometimes when entering the driveway. initially i thought it were the swaybar endlinks. but when i took it off, the popping noise is still there.

what could be the cause of this? could it be the top pillar mount nuts a bit loose? what's the torque settings for those nuts? i wanna tighten it and see if it will get rid of the noise. also, would a rear wheel alignment help?

btw, the coilovers are apexi n1 pro.

thanks in anticipation.

Bludger
02-05-2008, 09:22 AM
another 1

its very hard to diagnose sounds over the net.....

I shouldn't be talking, my 1st ever post on OzH was asking about some sounds:zip:

quadrio
04-05-2008, 10:57 PM
check the strut top bolts and the centre nut for looseness, otherwise could mean your shock is shot

EG5
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
sounds like something is loose or thats a noise from pillow ball top mount

outatime
04-05-2008, 11:16 PM
sounds like something is loose or thats a noise from pillow ball top mount

how does a pillow ball top mount look like? is that the nut that sits between the 2 nuts on the top mount of the coilover?

bennjamin
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
how does a pillow ball top mount look like? is that the nut that sits between the 2 nuts on the top mount of the coilover?

Aris , you know the upper mount which is directly connected to the chassis via the 2 14mm nuts ? inside this is a "mount" to hold the strut piston in place. It can be rubber or a actual ball joint.
On suspension with ball joints , they can fail later in life or dry up of lubricant

outatime
05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
ahhhh.. thanks.. looks like it needs to be sprayed by lithium grease..