PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: Wheel balance

novastorm
02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
If I want to change all 4 existing tyres and rims on my civic with another set of 4 tyres and rims, should i bother with wheel balance?

Both sets of rims are 16" and same width.

thanks

bennjamin
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
yes. Its a small amount per corner ( $10 or so ?) and fixes and imbalance in the wheel or rim itself. You need it so do it.

novastorm
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks Ben. :)

When is it ok not to do a wheel balance? say when i'm taking off the tyre and replacing with another tyre?

bennjamin
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
you still need it to be done.
Why ?
Because the wheel balance , attempts to perfectly balance the tyre onto the wheel as ONE item. weights and then placed at strategic places around the lip to keep the entire "package" in balance.

Changing from a tyre to any tyre needs a balance. New/used whatever.

you can just swap it , for say rego etc but dont drive on the road with unbalanced tyres

novastorm
02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the explanation. =)

DC4Integra98
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hijack but is wheel balance necessary when installing aftermarket springs i.e. king springs?

Thanks

Dy_
03-05-2008, 12:51 AM
balancing is around 5$ per corner and tyre prices are usually quoted with balancing and fitting included.

aaronng
03-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Sorry to hijack but is wheel balance necessary when installing aftermarket springs i.e. king springs?

Thanks

No, you must balance when you fit tyres on a rim (both old and new) or when you have worn down the tyre a bit and needs to be rebalanced. Changing springs and lowering is ok, you don't need to rebalance.

The price of fitting tyres onto a rim also includes balancing anyway. I get charged $18 to fit a tyre and balance in Blacktown.

trism
04-05-2008, 03:04 AM
when you change springs/shocks, or any suspension component, you should get a wheel alignment

T-onedc2
04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Some components won't affect the alignment provided they are in the correct way, I have changed rear lower control arms, shocks & springs etc myself, I watch my tyre wear closely and check centering and stability of steering and never had a problem, however if you replace components such as adjustable camber kits or wearing parts such as rubber bushes then definitely get an alignment asap.

Also, over time alignment will be lost due to wear of these bushes.

trism
04-05-2008, 03:13 PM
no, that wasnt a question asking if you should, that was saying you should, note the lack of the question mark, and the way it was written as a statement?

:)

T-onedc2
04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
no, that wasnt a question asking if you should, that was saying you should, note the lack of the question mark, and the way it was written as a statement?

:) haha oops, blonde moment

trism
04-05-2008, 03:56 PM
:P thats ok

power_of_dreams
17-02-2009, 10:52 AM
bumpage.

If I'm picking up a set of used tyres/wheels, would you recommend balancing? I'm keen on fitting them myself to avoid some of the costs, but is there anything else I need to do (alignment maybe?)

trism
17-02-2009, 12:57 PM
ok. have you read the rest of the thread?

if so, youll know that you do not need an alignment when simply changing tyres.

its up to youwith the balancing

if they have been sitting around for a while id prob get em balanced, but if they just came off a car, its not really necessary

it is only about 5 bucks a corner, so not that expensive if you wanna get it done

power_of_dreams
17-02-2009, 01:02 PM
ok. have you read the rest of the thread?

if so, youll know that you do not need an alignment when simply changing tyres.

its up to youwith the balancing

if they have been sitting around for a while id prob get em balanced, but if they just came off a car, its not really necessary

it is only about 5 bucks a corner, so not that expensive if you wanna get it done

Thanks.

Crapdaz
17-02-2009, 01:04 PM
bumpage.

If I'm picking up a set of used tyres/wheels, would you recommend balancing? I'm keen on fitting them myself to avoid some of the costs, but is there anything else I need to do (alignment maybe?)

if you buy a set of wheels with tyres and you are unsure when the seller balanced it, then recommended to rebalance them.

Once done if your alignment on the car has been done recently then don't need to otherwise should do it also.

BUYING USED WHEELS & DON'T KNOW WHEN THE GUY BALANCED THEM LAST - Yes for Balancing;

GETTING NEW TYRES PUT ON - Yes for balancing;

PUTTING OLD WHEELS W/ TYRES ON - Yes for balancing;

Alignment should be done depending on how recent you got your car aligned.

power_of_dreams
17-02-2009, 02:30 PM
alignment isn't done at servicing intervals is it?

M@lew
17-02-2009, 06:46 PM
It's generally done at a wheel/tyre store with an aligning machine, so I guess it'd depend if you go to somewhere that has one or not.

power_of_dreams
01-03-2009, 03:48 PM
ive had a look at some used wheels, the weights look a bit retarded.

on some of the wheels there is like a flat row of weights on the inner part, on some of the wheels there is the conventional looking weight on the outer rim but on the hub side of the rim, and on some there is both. the weights dont add up to the same, but i'm not concerned about that because of the different positions they are placed.

what do you guys recommend, get them rebalanced just in case?